Review by Chrystal Oaks -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by Chrystal Oaks -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Captain Steve Procida wakes up on Seattle Express, Buckhorn’s container ship, to clanging fire alarms. With the help of his crew, Steve determines the severity of the fire and decides that they need to abandon ship. Steve and nine of the crew get on one lifeboat, while William and the other ten crew members get on a second lifeboat. Before abandoning ship, Steve radios Buckhorn headquarters to report the fire, the position of the ship, and its ultimate abandonment. As Buckhorn orders two tugboats to rescue the burning ship, Louise, who is co-owner of Sol Duc Towing, hears the orders over the radio transmission. Sol Duc Towing is hurting financially, and Louise decides that their company is going to be the one to claim Seattle Express first with their tugboat, Warhorse. While all the action is happening in the Gulf of Alaska, Buckhorn wants permission to mine for erbium, which is on a piece of ground in the township of Sol Duc. The race is on. Will the separated crew survive? Will the entire crew be rescued? Who will claim the abandoned ship first? Will Buckhorn get permission to mine?

Adrift, which can be read as a standalone, is the second book in the Strong Heart series by Charlie Sheldon. It is a work of literature with a mix of adventure, suspense, and a touch of the supernatural. Sheldon presents six viewpoints: two are in the first person (Steve and Myra) and four are in the third person (Louise, Travis, Pete, and William). The story covers a span of seventeen days starting on December fifth and ending on December twenty-first.

I thought Sheldon did an excellent job moving the story along. With six main characters, he clearly marked each chapter with the character’s name, which aided in building and moving the story forward. The setting was vivid and exhilarating. In several scenarios, I felt I was on the storm-tossed ship, the lifeboats, or the tugboat battling the frigid air. All the characters unfolded nicely revealing their strengths and flaws.

Having never been on a boat or a ship, I liked learning about the parts of the ship; for example, port means the left side of the ship and starboard means the right side of the ship. Another fact I didn’t know is that type O blood refers to a specific race. Throughout the book, Sheldon writes brief scenes that incorporate current issues, such as global warming, climate change, and religious prejudice. I didn’t like the vast number of characters. While the high number is what gives this story its complexity, it also makes it confusing and hard to remember all the names along with their title and purpose.

There were a few errors, such as punctuation, formatting, missing words, and wrong words, but they didn’t interfere with the storyline. I thought Adrift was full of adventure, with suspense and supernatural undertones. The story was fully developed and had unexpected twists, with vivid settings and believable characters. While I didn’t like the numerous characters, they were needed to make this an involved and interesting novel. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to anyone who likes adventure, suspense, and complex storylines. I wouldn’t recommend this for younger readers because there are several traumatic scenes.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Chrystal Oaks's review? Post a comment saying so!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

I have read several reviews of this book and I'm convinced that the book is an intriguing one to peruse . I love it when novels have a flawless character that is clearly organized. Thank you for providing this wonderful review.
Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

daviddawud wrote: 09 May 2019, 03:40 I have read several reviews of this book and I'm convinced that the book is an intriguing one to peruse . I love it when novels have a flawless character that is clearly organized. Thank you for providing this wonderful review.
Thank you for reading and commenting. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

The best thing about this book is that it is a work of literature that also has a healthy dose of supernatural in it. I see why it deserved a perfect rating. Great review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Samy Lax wrote: 09 May 2019, 23:51 The best thing about this book is that it is a work of literature that also has a healthy dose of supernatural in it. I see why it deserved a perfect rating. Great review!
I agree. Sometimes the supernatural feels more real than the tangible; I thought Sheldon did a great job making both feel real. Thanks for reading and commenting. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I also read Adrift, although not for review. I found it to be an interesting, if sometimes a bit intense, read. I agree that it was a bit difficult to keep up with the cast of characters. I think your review is right on target! Great job!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Kelyn wrote: 18 May 2019, 17:11 I also read Adrift, although not for review. I found it to be an interesting, if sometimes a bit intense, read. I agree that it was a bit difficult to keep up with the cast of characters. I think your review is right on target! Great job!
Thank you for reading my review and your kind comment. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

That's great that the author addressed so many issues of today's world...and that you learned a lot about ships while reading this story. Your review was very engaging and informative, and I enjoyed reading it very much!
Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Bluebird03 wrote: 29 May 2019, 19:30 That's great that the author addressed so many issues of today's world...and that you learned a lot about ships while reading this story. Your review was very engaging and informative, and I enjoyed reading it very much!
I'm glad you enjoyed reading the review. Thank you for the kind comment. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

i like the various marine descriptions mentioned in the review such as starboard and port. I will put it in my to read list.
Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Wyland wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 05:21 i like the various marine descriptions mentioned in the review such as starboard and port. I will put it in my to read list.
This book is full of nautical words. I think you will enjoy it. Thank you for stopping by and commenting. :-)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”