Review by Artizi -- Twisted But True by Darren Burch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Artizi -- Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Artizi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted But True" by Darren Burch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Darren Burch's book, Twisted but true is not for the faint-hearted. It begins, right off the bat, with the description of a horrible accident. I could go further into this first incident which shaped the way in which he discovered his true calling in life, but that would spoil the surprise. It's the kind of book you have to read to believe.

The author and protagonist is a police officer who opens up to his reader in a peculiar and engaging style. The book itself is divided in 35 short, easy to read chapters, which might just as well work as short stories in and of themselves. These vignettes could, in fact, be read in any order the audience sees fit, yet in my opinion, become far more enjoyable when read from start to finish.

The reader follows Darren Burch's grisly adventures from starting at his high school years, being allowed to peek into the life of a teenager out and about, enjoying a night out with his three best friends. It's safe to say the night does not end as intended, yet it offers Burch unmistakable evidence of his life's true calling.

Before long, the reader finds oneself immersed in the endless encounters a retired sergeant with 30 years of experience under his belt has come face to face with on a regular basis.

The writing does feature a dash of dark kind of humor one would expect with a title as peculiar as Twisted but true, yet it's not as grim or gory as some people might hope.

Many of the twists at the end of each chapter, I feel inclined to clarify, are not precisely twists in the usual sense of the word, but rather follow up information the author might feel compelled to share, or even thoughts and reflections Sargent Burch has to offer his readers.

I would definitely recommend Twisted but true to all those interested in true crime, mildly dark comedy and insightful remarks about the experiences this veteran police officer has endured through his long career. He is not ashamed to admit his own mistakes and does not seem interested in exaggerating the details, as some vignettes are indeed not overly-impressive, yet enjoyable nonetheless.

I feel a 3 out of 4 rating would fit it well, as it is not perfectly edited and it can prove to be slightly repetitive in its style, yet affords an entertaining and well-written read for all those true-crime lovers out there.

Twisted But True
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Artizi's review? Post a comment saying so!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds very interesting! :) I love unusual crime stories with dark humor. Would definitely check this one out! Thanks for a great review!
Artizi
Currently Reading:

Post by Artizi »

Ellylion wrote: 24 May 2019, 14:07 Sounds very interesting! :) I love unusual crime stories with dark humor. Would definitely check this one out! Thanks for a great review!
Thank you for reading and replying! And it is a great book!
CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 »

I'll have to think about this one.

I really like true crime, but I prefer the emphasis on the personalities rather than gore or gross out stuff. Glad it does not have a lot of that. The short story set up might not hold my interest as much - again with my interest in character development.

I did enjoy your review. It's good to have an idea about what to expect from a book.
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

This sounds intense! I like a good true crime book, but this one might be a little too much for me! It was a great review though. Good job!
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts

Shakespeare-As You Like It Act II, Scene VII
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html

Post by Letora »

Does the book also explore the inner thoughts of Burch along with his experiences? I love a book that does a good job immersing me in the characters internal struggles.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Artizi
Currently Reading:

Post by Artizi »

Letora wrote: 25 May 2019, 07:49 Does the book also explore the inner thoughts of Burch along with his experiences? I love a book that does a good job immersing me in the characters internal struggles.
He is not a character per se, as these are anecdotes from his personal life, but it does feature input from the author, yes!
Thanks for reading!
Artizi
Currently Reading:

Post by Artizi »

CyndiA1 wrote: 24 May 2019, 15:21 I'll have to think about this one.

I really like true crime, but I prefer the emphasis on the personalities rather than gore or gross out stuff. Glad it does not have a lot of that. The short story set up might not hold my interest as much - again with my interest in character development.

I did enjoy your review. It's good to have an idea about what to expect from a book.

Thank you so much for your input! :)
Artizi
Currently Reading:

Post by Artizi »

Jlbaird85 wrote: 24 May 2019, 21:29 This sounds intense! I like a good true crime book, but this one might be a little too much for me! It was a great review though. Good job!
Thank you for reading! I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's an enjoyable read.
Cinty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cinty »

I am glad you enjoyed it. Seems too intense for me though.
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

This seams like a great action packed book with explicit scenes. I really like the way you've introduced your review. It will be a great pick for me, thanks for the review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Artizi
Currently Reading:

Post by Artizi »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 25 May 2019, 21:11 This seams like a great action packed book with explicit scenes. I really like the way you've introduced your review. It will be a great pick for me, thanks for the review.
Thanks for your comment! I'm sure you'll enjoy it greatly!
Artizi
Currently Reading:

Post by Artizi »

Cinty wrote: 25 May 2019, 13:27 I am glad you enjoyed it. Seems too intense for me though.
It's intense, indeed. Not fit for squeamish readers, so not everyone's cup of tea! :D
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I loved this book as well! You are correct in saying that this book is not for the faint of heart. Some of the stories are just plain nasty. I enjoyed how the author wrote a little blurb after each story in which he found a "twist." Thanks for the wonderful review!
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by writingShannon »

I'm not usually a true crime reader, but this sounds intriguing just because of the style of writing used. I might have to check it out!
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”