Review by Rachel Lea -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Rachel Lea -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Rachel Lea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ace Bowers’ memoir, The Mindset, is the inspirational, real-life story about how a young man from a rough background who had very little hope for success became, in only five short years, a Silicon Valley millionaire through hard work and perseverance. This memoir is also, as Bowers states, a therapeutic effort for him, as many of the painful stories from his childhood that he relates here he has never told anyone before.

“One of my mom’s favorite songs has always been ‘Simple Man,’ by Lynyrd Skynyrd,” Bowers starts off his book poignantly, “because it encompassed her greatest aspirations for me,” that he would be “satisfied.” But Bowers adds that it would be a long time before this was actually realized in his life.

The youngest of three kids, Bowers bluntly describes himself and his family growing up as “white trash.” His parents could not handle money and were deep in debt. Their oldest son was constantly in and out of jail, further straining his parents’ finances. Cracking under the stress, both of Bowers’ parents ended up turning to alcohol and they fought with each other almost every night. Bowers battled depression at an early age because of his dysfunctional home life and this deep depression continued on into his early adulthood when he finally took the plunge and moved away from his family.

At the age of 22, Ace Bowers had found himself going on a nowhere path in life. He was swimming in credit card debt, was very overweight and smoking heavily, and he was working a job as a janitor at a hotel and earning only $6 an hour. The painful memories of his childhood were ghosts that haunted him ceaselessly. But one day, one simple text changed his life forever: His girlfriend was pregnant. This was the catalyst that hit Bowers roundly upside the head and jumpstarted him to really get a hold of his life, no matter what. He was determined to not give his child the same upbringing that he had.

Bowers divides his short memoir into ten chapters, each chapter covering a different era of his life and a few specific ones devoted to individuals who helped and supported him throughout his journey (including one section dedicated entirely to his girlfriend—now wife—and how much she means to him, which was really sweet). Bowers’ prose itself is mesmerizing and he has an excellent sense of pacing. His rags-to-riches story is very inspirational and, as he states himself, truly encompasses the American Dream. He claims that all of his successes in life stem from his motivation—or in his words, an “overcomer’s mindset.” “Because I refused to settle,” Bowers murmurs in quiet triumph from the pages, “I excelled.”

A powerful truth that really hit home for me while reading this memoir was how that even though bad experiences are obviously painful, we learn important lessons from them. They make us who we are. In fact, many times, these bad experiences make us better people than we would have been if we had never gone through them—if we allow ourselves to let the experiences teach us and not instead become embittered by them. As Bowers puts it, “Nothing is ever a waste of time if you learn something from it.” He advises the reader to make their past work for them and not against them.

Overall, I rate The Mindset 3 out of 4 stars. I really wanted to give it four stars, but there were several grammar errors throughout the book that made me bump the rating down a bit. Ace Bowers—the former janitor now turned millionaire—tells an incredible story, and it's even more incredible because it’s true. I would recommend The Mindset to anyone interested in very real, human stories of people rising above their circumstances despite the odds. This little book is a gem.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachel Lea's review? Post a comment saying so!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

A memoir that shows that all goals are achievable when one is determined to keep going, and to make the change they want in life. Such an inspiration. I enjoyed reading your review.
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Jgideon wrote: 23 May 2019, 04:27 A memoir that shows that all goals are achievable when one is determined to keep going, and to make the change they want in life. Such an inspiration. I enjoyed reading your review.
I really loved this book! Thank you so much, Jgideon!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

It sounds like an inspirational book! Stories of thriving against the odds are always a good read if well written.

Thanks for the insightful review!

If you wouldn't mind checking out my latest review, I'd really appreciate it!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Artizi wrote: 23 May 2019, 09:04 It sounds like an inspirational book! Stories of thriving against the odds are always a good read if well written.

Thanks for the insightful review!

If you wouldn't mind checking out my latest review, I'd really appreciate it!
Thank you so much! :)
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love this story! His determination to overcome his past and not let himself become bitter is truly inspiring. The chapter about his wife also melts my heart. Thanks for this wonderful recommendation!
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

kdstrack wrote: 24 May 2019, 11:18 I love this story! His determination to overcome his past and not let himself become bitter is truly inspiring. The chapter about his wife also melts my heart. Thanks for this wonderful recommendation!
It's a really great book! Thank you so much! :D
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

"Nothing is ever a waste of time if you learn something from it" is such a wonderful quote. The grammatical errors are unfortunate, but it sounds like this story is worth looking past them for. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

maggi3 wrote: 25 May 2019, 00:51 "Nothing is ever a waste of time if you learn something from it" is such a wonderful quote. The grammatical errors are unfortunate, but it sounds like this story is worth looking past them for. Thanks for the review!
That quote really stuck with me as well. Thank you, maggi3! :)
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

This sounds like an amazing read. Despite the errors, I would give this one a try! Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

This does sound like an excellent story with valuable lessons, in spite of the errors. I love that he thanked his wife and developed such an inspirational attitude. Thank you for an excellent review, Rachel! This truly does sound like a gem!
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Letora wrote: 25 May 2019, 07:40 This sounds like an amazing read. Despite the errors, I would give this one a try! Thank you for reviewing!
Thank you, Letora!
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Bluebird03 wrote: 25 May 2019, 17:02 This does sound like an excellent story with valuable lessons, in spite of the errors. I love that he thanked his wife and developed such an inspirational attitude. Thank you for an excellent review, Rachel! This truly does sound like a gem!
Thank you so much!!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like such an inspirational book. Thanks for the lovely review!
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 26 May 2019, 14:55 This sounds like such an inspirational book. Thanks for the lovely review!
Thank you, Stephanie!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”