Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Re: Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Post by InStoree »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 18 May 2019, 00:36 This one little book (or rather, short dissertation)...end Christianity? Nope. I keep thinking up scenarios where this could be possible, and....nothing. A major catastrophic event could take place and I'm not sure it would even end then.
Now that sounds like a ravishing theme for a book, Chrystal! A collection of vivid scenarios that could end Christianity or any other popular religion. Although, I would still imagine it in the Sci-Fi genre. 🤔
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

I don't think that this book will ever have the ability to dismantle or bring down Christianity. I do believe that the author's intent is to attempt to get those who are devout Christians to question what they have been taught and believe. But for those who are truly rooted and grounded...they won't be affected by this book if they choose to read it. Some, I think will question, but Christianity has been around for a long time and I don't see this book impacting that any time soon.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

centfie wrote: 21 May 2019, 12:02 The Gnosticism ideas in the book can challenge some people who don't have strong faith. Sure, a few people will be influenced to end their affiliation with Christianity. However, it will not end Christianity. Christianity has been questioned and challenged from time immemorial, but it has not ended.
People will still believe. But it's over. Lots of people believe in a lot of things that do not happen to be true. (The author)
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

lisalynn wrote: 02 May 2019, 08:30 One book end Christianity? That's like saying, will dipping a bucket of water from the Pacific Ocean cause it to dry up.
Although I agree with you that this book probably won't have an impact on Christianity, a lot of people do believe in Christianity to begin with because of one book (or two, if you count Old Testament and New Testament separately). I think a single book can make a huge impact when faith is involved. I just don't think this one is going to be one of those.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Washboard wrote: 23 May 2019, 23:21
lisalynn wrote: 02 May 2019, 08:30 One book end Christianity? That's like saying, will dipping a bucket of water from the Pacific Ocean cause it to dry up.
Although I agree with you that this book probably won't have an impact on Christianity, a lot of people do believe in Christianity to begin with because of one book (or two, if you count Old Testament and New Testament separately). I think a single book can make a huge impact when faith is involved. I just don't think this one is going to be one of those.
Excellent point.Although it seems unlikely that this book will end Christianity, we should ALL remember that Christianity was spread by ONE BOOK, the BIBLE. If this book fails to down Goliath(christianity), then hopefully one will in the future.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

While the author proposes very valid points that definitely got me thinking and reevaluating my perceptions, I don't think one book is enough to destroy an entire religion. Besides, Christianity is based on more than just one event...it would take a lot more to challenge Christianity in its entirety.
56lives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-56lives.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by 56lives »

I do not understand the question properly. Is it the end of Christianity? If yes, then I will say that a single book based on academic research cannot end Christianity. Christianity has stood the test of time, actually more than 2000 years. I believe that Christianity is more than a religion. It is life. As such no publication will ever stop its surge.
alicia_fountain
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8717">The Brothers Karamazov</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia-fountain.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by alicia_fountain »

Hi Julius,

Your question raises an important subject. Many psychologists, sociologists, archaeologists believe that religion arose out of psychological need to feel important. One answer to your question is that no, no book will be the end of religion. However, you spoke only of Christianity. Simply put, religion is in the eye of the beholder. Christianity may still meet it's demise one day, but it is not because of this book. Misreading Judas was published approximately 2.5 years ago and did not add very much to the biblical literary community.

It is funny that you ask if this book marks the end of Christianity. Christianity is still going strong. Religion in general is still going strong. New ways of thinking are constantly changing Christianity so that it feels new and good to the newer generations.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

InStoree wrote: 23 May 2019, 12:14
Chrystal Oaks wrote: 18 May 2019, 00:36 This one little book (or rather, short dissertation)...end Christianity? Nope. I keep thinking up scenarios where this could be possible, and....nothing. A major catastrophic event could take place and I'm not sure it would even end then.
Now that sounds like a ravishing theme for a book, Chrystal! A collection of vivid scenarios that could end Christianity or any other popular religion. Although, I would still imagine it in the Sci-Fi genre. 🤔
You're right! I didn't even think about turning this idea into a book (should have because of love for books), but it would be interesting. I agree that it would have to be considered a Sci-Fi book. Maybe there are some available to read, if not, one or more could be written. :eusa-think: :-)
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

alicia_fountain wrote: 24 May 2019, 18:03 Hi Julius,

Your question raises an important subject. Many psychologists, sociologists, archaeologists believe that religion arose out of psychological need to feel important. One answer to your question is that no, no book will be the end of religion. However, you spoke only of Christianity. Simply put, religion is in the eye of the beholder. Christianity may still meet it's demise one day, but it is not because of this book. Misreading Judas was published approximately 2.5 years ago and did not add very much to the biblical literary community.

It is funny that you ask if this book marks the end of Christianity. Christianity is still going strong. Religion in general is still going strong. New ways of thinking are constantly changing Christianity so that it feels new and good to the newer generations.
You raise some excellent points. The idea of religion having developed to satisfy the psychological need of importance makes sense, because once individuals feel important than it's a slippery-slope to thinking it's okay to control and belittle others. As far as Christianity changing, I agree. It's changed in my lifetime and sometimes wonder how much it has changed over the two millennia. :eusa-think:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

If every Christian read this book AND if every Christian then accepted the author's conclusions, then perhaps this book could end Christianity. Certainly, the ideas that Christ was NOT sacrificed, and that the only way to be saved is to study with a living Master, run antithetical to Christian teachings.
However, not every Christian is going to read this book, and even for those that do, I think it is safe to say, based on the responses on this thread alone, most are not going to accept the author's conclusions.
As many have mentioned, there have been numerous threats to Christianity over the years, including ones that have come from differing translations of the Bible. Just think about how many different versions are in use right now!
As a non religious person, I find these arguments fascinating, but did not feel the author supported them well enough for me to fully accept them. I would like to see an actual Biblical scholar take this up and respond, just because I think the debate would be incredibly enlightening.
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

Not many people read books, so for Christianity to end it would take more than a book to do so.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

Zeix wrote: 25 May 2019, 00:07 Not many people read books, so for Christianity to end it would take more than a book to do so.
😀 Indeed, those who are not book's fans will miss the so-called end of Christianity! But, what if the book is so good that a movie will be produced, and then some soundtracks with the same message, and then t-shirts, pens, pillows and so on? The book will spread like a virus and eliminate the Christians, one by one. And even so, I still think that there will be one or two who would have missed the lesson. 🙂
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I think saying that this book marks the end of Christianity is a bit much. Obviously, it has some details that will make Christians and lots of other people more aware of the other side of the story. But judging by how ingrained most people tend to be in their beliefs, I find the 'end of Christianity' as a result of this book a stretch.
Claudia DCD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorcpenz.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Claudia DCD »

At this point, as many have pointed out before me, Christianity has lived through many ups and downs of faith. It's more than just one story and more than just one book at this point, though the symbolism of one book is enticing. Honestly, even the Holy Bible as we know it has multiple books within it. I think he meant, now that Jesus didn't die, now that Judas was taking on the mantle to continue Jesus's work, what do we do with that? Christianity relies on the death of Jesus, at times. What if he didn't die? What if his spirit just passed forward constantly? Where has it passed to by now, you think?

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”