Review by CyndiA1 -- From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by CyndiA1 -- From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by CyndiA1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I suppose I am at a drifting stage in my life, so I thought that From Drift to Shift by Jody B. Miller might be helpful and give my life a jump-start or give me some ideas for my own heavy lifting. Instead of recipes for making lemonade when life is coming up lemons, it seemed more like I was being given directions for harvesting radishes.

I was excited about opening the book, but it was rather tedious to go through a lengthy book recommendation and a slew of quick quotations about the value and beauty of the book. On my Kindle, this filler material clocked in at numerous pages of promotional content. That is a lot of swiping to tell a reader that a book is worth reading. Why not let the reader just see the content and decide without pressure?

The book is built on a bulky outline with four main sections and multiple chapters. There's an appendix, notes, resources, and samples from the author's blog. One blog entry advises to cut complainers off completely. It's not clear how complaining is defined or why someone loses all value for voicing complaints.

Miller notes that shifts happen constantly, or I think that was her point. There are "signs." Readers should notice and respond to the signs. For example, if you are thinking you want a Mini Cooper car and begin seeing lots of Mini Cooper cars, then that's a sign. Likewise, if you begin to see tons of pregnant women, that might be your sign. In my head I kept seeing Jeff Foxworthy saying, "Here's your sign." When it comes to serious life decisions, I would rather take a more organized and systematic approach.

I do believe the author thinks she has selected a range of life stories that are relatable. It does, however, seem that almost all her anecdotes involve wealthy people, and most of them shift from making huge amounts of money to being comfortably well-off in the self-help industry. I suppose Miller enjoys boot camp experiences, since she went on one before she left for college and then appears to have continued to participate in similar experiences. There is a market for self-help seminars and retreats, but we certainly need a range of types of people with various skills and not just life consultants.

One of Miller's excursions was to the Amazon rain-forest. She stayed only a few days but seemed to greatly enjoy her experiences. I'm not really sold on her understanding of the people of the jungle with the minimal exposure. It's hard to figure out how she deemed the aboriginals as being happy and content. My son lived for two years in a rain-forest village that did not host tourists, and he noticed the full range of personalities and human emotions within his adopted family group as in his natural habitat. It is popular to glorify dissimilar cultures, but it is harder to truly respect those cultures. Miller was told she would not need her hair dryer. She brought it anyway and knocked out the generator and the power for everyone. Power was likely only provided for outsiders if the village was even remotely like the one where my son lived. I fail to understand why Miller disregarded advice she was given by those with direct knowledge.

Some of the stories used as support points were touching, although I did not always make the connections. It was exciting when a woman was able to adopt an international baby, but I'm not sure that I bought that her seeing doves confirmed the value of her life decision. It was great that the young athlete who broke his back was able to shift over to art. Given his health situation, I'm not sure that finding him a girlfriend was the critical goal that the author suggested.

There were times when I questioned the way the author worded things. I'm not even sure what a "normal school" might be. I think, perhaps, she might want to use the term traditional school. I'd also suggest not referencing a portion of a female's reproductive system as a "vital lady part."

I really wanted to enjoy this book and to get some good ideas for moving forward. The mixture of Christian and deity-oriented teachings along with random meditation, yoga, and journaling felt like making cake without a recipe. There were "takeaways" at the end of sections, but I only saw the connections with a few of them. Almost all the one-liners would make good bumper stickers but were not as helpful in really making a shift instead of a drift.

This book rates a two out of four stars. There were some interesting stories and ideas included, but the book did not hold together very well. It seemed disconnected and lacking in real substance.

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CyndiA1's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

"I really wanted to enjoy this book and to get some good ideas for moving forward. The mixture of Christian and deity-oriented teachings along with random meditation, yoga, and journaling felt like making cake without a recipe."

What a wonderful analogy! It seems that the author didn't have the understanding of a lot of things outside her background. I really enjoyed your review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Oh dear, it sounds as if this book suffered from a malady of mistaken ingredients. (LOL) Honestly though, the author seems to have been too focused on her own experiences and a very existential view of life that many would not be comfortable with, including me. (i.e., seeing 'signs' in almost everything.) I believe I will be skipping this one. Thanks for the very informative review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”