Official Review: Dear American Brother by Joe J. Elder

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Dear American Brother by Joe J. Elder

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dear American Brother" by Joe J. Elder.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hans and Kurt are brothers born in South Russia at the beginning of the twentieth century. During a tumultuous time in history, especially in that region, their family’s German ancestry only complicates things. With the outbreak of World War I, Kurt manages to flee to America with an uncle, leaving a heartbroken Hans and the rest of the family behind. The suffering, unfortunately, is just starting.

Dear American Brother, written by Joe J. Elder, is the story of Hans’ ordeals, skillfully narrated against a meticulously described backdrop of wars and revolutions. The narrative begins in 1945, right after the end of World War II, with the protagonist desperately searching for his seventeen-year-old daughter in the middle of the destroyed streets of Berlin. He then takes readers back in time to explain the chain of events that led to this, which include failed attempts to leave Europe and join Kurt in America.

The book’s context is fascinating. The author describes major historical events through the eyes of a young man who becomes a helpless victim of oppressive regimes – “we were slaves bound to Lenin’s communist ideals.” Readers are taken on a character-driven journey with Hans as he witnesses the creation of the Soviet Union, as well as Stalin’s and Hitler’s insanities. I particularly enjoyed the portrayal of the occupation of Russia by the Germans – which happens twice – and the aftermath of the forces’ withdrawal.

The storytelling is compelling and emotionally arousing. The exchange of letters between the brothers, for instance, almost brought me to tears. Additionally, there are interesting secondary characters such as Hans’ grandparents and sister, and the book offers a fresh look at the inner workings of a communist regime and its devastating impact on people’s lives. The suspense keeps building, and the ending is breathtaking, but no spoilers are allowed! I hope the author writes a sequel, for I would love to see how the story continues. Also, I believe this book would make a great movie or TV series.

Lastly, I rate Dear American Brother 4 out of 4 stars. I found no noteworthy negative points in it. The editing seemed clean and professional, with no errors to point out. The book flows smoothly, with an elegant style. Overall, this was a fast and enjoyable read that I would strongly recommend to anyone who enjoys historical fiction. In my opinion, only readers who are not fond of the genre might dislike it.

Dear American Brother
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like mmm17's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds quite emotional and realistic. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, but historical fiction isn't something I usually read much of. Kudos to the author for such great editing, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds amazing! Your review has intrigued me. It seems that this book is educational and insightful. (Perhaps a bit of a tear jerker as well!) I will have to check this one out. Thanks for this great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I reviewed this a while back but the errors didn't allow me to give it the perfect score. I'm glad to know they've been addressed. I really liked the book too. That ending - to die for, no?
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I love historical fiction, and having read quite a bit about WWII, the events that occurred afterward that led to the formation of the Soviet Union are of interest to me. Thanks for an excellent review!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I think this book's content would be a little too emotional and heavy for me, but it definitely sounds well-researched and well-written. Great review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

I like the narrative involving these two brothers. Their story during the German occupation of Russia and the World War 1 is compelling. Thanks for the review.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

This sounds like an incredible, heart-wrenching book. I love three dimensional characters, they're always a pleasure to read! I have a question for you, does this book have any descriptions of violence?

This was a smooth, thorough review that I greatly enjoyed reading, mmm17! Thank you!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 21 May 2019, 19:21 I reviewed this a while back but the errors didn't allow me to give it the perfect score. I'm glad to know they've been addressed. I really liked the book too. That ending - to die for, no?
Yes! Definitely a memorable ending. :)
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

nooregano wrote: 23 May 2019, 12:01 This sounds like an incredible, heart-wrenching book. I love three dimensional characters, they're always a pleasure to read! I have a question for you, does this book have any descriptions of violence?

This was a smooth, thorough review that I greatly enjoyed reading, mmm17! Thank you!
Thank you for your comments! And yes, the book does have a fair share of descriptions of violence, although not too graphic.
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Your review was great. Your description of events and emotional exchange of letters got me so curious. I will definitely look for this book.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I think that the exchange of letters between the brothers would be very emotional. And it sounds as though the ending did not disappoint. Thank you for an excellent and informative review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The historical facts combined with the emotional family situation sound quite interesting. The story line and the characters you have described make me want to read his book. Thanks for the amazing recommendation!
Outlawm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Outlawm »

This sounds like a wonderful read and I’m adding it to my growing list to read. It sounds like the author brings out emotions in the reader. Thank you for a great review.
Alvino
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alvino »

The historical facts combined with the emotional family situation sound quite interesting. The story line and the characters you have described make me want to read his book.I really love it.Thanks for the amazing recommendation!

Return to “Historical Fiction”