Review by Bluebird03 -- Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Review by Bluebird03 -- Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by Bluebird03 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Misreading Judas, Wahler examines the early gnostic Gospel of Judas. This particular gospel is reported to have been lost for 1,700 years. It was discovered, in a preserved state, in an Egyptian cave. This gospel was first translated by the National Geographic Society in 2006. The Gospel of Judas challenges the previous thought, as described in the New Testament, that Judas actually betrayed Jesus. Instead, Wahler asserts that Judas was carrying out the orders of Jesus. By doing this, Judas achieved the ultimate gnostic goal of self-sacrifice.

Additionally, Wahler concludes that “Judas was fictional, Jesus didn’t die for anyone, and that James was the real savior”. He also claims that James was “one of a long line of saviors which didn’t begin or end with him”. These assertions are only the beginning. Readers will be surprised to learn of other examples between what is stated in The Bible and what Wahler states actually occurred.

This book poses a fascinating premise and introduces the reader to terms such as Gnosticism and Mysticism. Wahler defines each of these terms for the reader; therefore, no dictionary is required. His tone is authoritative, defensive and, at times, bordering on arrogant. Wahler is immensely frustrated with the writings in the New Testament (“orthodox corruption”) and the massive “cover-up” of what he, and other scholars, sees as the truth. He calls out a few biblical scholars by name and urges them to abandon their continued views of biblical works of fiction and see the truth. Wahler actually pleads with readers to “read the Gospel of Judas as the Gnostic text that it is. Stop importing a New Testament bias into it”.

Wahler is meticulous in his research. The reader will readily see that the author has done a very thorough job in explaining the comparisons between different scriptures. Additionally, I appreciate that he lists resources for further study. Fortunately, the book appears to have been well edited. Also, at just over 100 pages, it is a fairly short read. Wahler’s thoughts are well organized and he divides his book into four basic areas of study.

My only dislike about this book is the difficulty that I encountered in reading it. There were often pages of scripture quoted and then short breaks of explanations. Even though I am familiar with scripture in The Bible, I found myself having to reread Wahler’s quotes from the Gospel of Judas and his comparisons several times. However, this is a personal preference and not enough to detract from the rating of the book.

Based on the reasons stated, I award Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler 4 out of 4 stars. This guide will undoubtedly appeal to historians, theologians and Gnostics. Biblical scholars may also wish to read this book and weigh in on Wahler’s theories. Conversely, Christians, or anyone, offended by the author presenting a new interpretation of the relationship between Jesus and Judas may want to avoid this publication. I recommend this read to those with an open mind and a curious nature.

Misreading Judas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bluebird03's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

An assertive tone in a book like this I feel is actually necessary. Anything short of that and the author runs the risk of not backing his own story. Although, that type of tone could be a turn off for some.

I really enjoyed your review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

Wow, anyone who loves Jesus will absolutely hate this book! But if he can prove he has done his research it should be hard to discount. For me, his tone would become a quick turn off.
amjohnson13
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I could see how this book might anger some Christians, but I personally feel like they should read it anyway. People should understand why they believe what they believe, and part of that is looking at different views. Either way, this sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 16 May 2019, 13:28 An assertive tone in a book like this I feel is actually necessary. Anything short of that and the author runs the risk of not backing his own story. Although, that type of tone could be a turn off for some.

I really enjoyed your review!
He was definitely convinced of his position and I appreciated his devotion to his ideas. Thank you, Bianka, for reading my review and for your thoughtful comments! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

amjohnson13mommy wrote: 16 May 2019, 17:02 Wow, anyone who loves Jesus will absolutely hate this book! But if he can prove he has done his research it should be hard to discount. For me, his tone would become a quick turn off.
For anyone interested in reading a different view, the author does an excellent job of presenting his side. Thank you for your comments and for reading my review! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

maggi3 wrote: 16 May 2019, 19:51 I could see how this book might anger some Christians, but I personally feel like they should read it anyway. People should understand why they believe what they believe, and part of that is looking at different views. Either way, this sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the review!
I agree that it is important to look at different views. It certainly was an interesting read. Thank you for stopping by and commenting. :)
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

That is an interesting and very open minded reply. I feel the same way. Even if I didn't I respect your reasoning.
Thank you!
amjohnson13
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

The book sounds contraversial though, It sounds interesting. I would like to read and see the author's think and his point of view.
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

I am thinking about..other books not to read due to the concept of the book, it kind of oppose my religious view..Anyway nice review.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

Books like this often result chaos only if, the proofs are provided for a point. I think even the writer needs a lot of courage for such topic. It is interesting to read such a book. Amazing review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I found the book and the theories presented fascinating, but then, I am not religious, but have an interest in religion as an area of study. I think what most struck me in the book was the author's arrogance. I thought what he had to say was interesting, but coming from an academic background, it always strikes me as the height of arrogance (and also goes completely against academic standards) when he said that the only way to move forward in study of the New Testament was to accept his interpretation.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I like to have an open mind when reading new interpretations of things that have been studied for, well, thousands of years. With that said,I thought this author tries too hard to insert his authority which should stand on his own research. I would read this just to know where others ideas come from. Thank you for the insightful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”