Review by SmrutiS -- The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SmrutiS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrutis.html
Latest Review: I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH! by Len Foley

Review by SmrutiS -- The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by SmrutiS »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

William H. Coles in The Spirit of Want weaves Lucy's romantic adventures. She is a lawyer by profession. The impression that a reader forms when she first appears, is that of an arrogant and a proud woman with an I-don't-care attitude. She ends up with an accident the first night that she drives with Luke. She marries him. She takes up Reverend Bain's case - underage molestation. She loses. Well, what does she lose? What does she gain in the bargain? What does she have to give up? Many such questions would only be answered if you read the book.

Readers who like romance would definitely want to read this. However, this is not a regular story where a boy meets a girl, they fall in love, they get married and they live happily ever after. Hence, though it is a romance, I would not say it is meant for those who like reading Mills and Boon stories. This novel does not have elements of historical romance or fantasy. It takes you through Lucy's emotional journey and her romantic adventures. So, if you like reading such a text, this is for you.

There is nothing in particular that I dislike about the novel but many points that I do appreciate. I like the way the themes of love and justice are embedded in the novel. It gives a glimpse of various forms of love - be it passionate and long-lasting or momentary and ephemeral. It examines justice by way of how the characters lend their support or don't to a doctor who indulges in 'unethical' activities. The structure of the novel appeals to me. It is not entirely from Lucy’s perspective. It involves other characters too and what they think and feel about the situation. In addition, they are quite real and plausible.

Moreover, I like the title of the text as well, especially the pun on the word ‘want’ that means desire on the one hand and lack on the other. It beautifully captures the essence of the foil characters. When it comes to love, the reader can see Lucy’s contrast in Elizabeth, her sister. When it is comes to ethics, it is A.J. vs. Luke.

I rate this novel 3 out of 4 . The plot is quite interesting and the language used is not difficult. The text is quite fast-paced without dwelling too much on descriptions. It gave me enough room to imagine the characters based on their interactions and behavior. The novel would have earned a 4 out of 4 rating if its editing weren't a little off-track.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like SmrutiS's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”