Review by Lunastella -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Review by Lunastella -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever felt like a banana in a world full of potatoes? Perhaps not exactly, but at one point or another, we've all struggled to fit in. I'm sure it happened to Len Foley who was, in his own words, a "horrible writer" until he found he should've been writing children's books all along!

This is what happened to Ben, a banana that wants to join his friends Arnie, ol' Jimmy and Marvin in their potato night show, except he's not a potato, and he needs his friends to accept his true banana-nature.

There are many things to applaud from Four Funny Potatoes by Len Foley. The illustrations are funny, eye-catching and colorful, which is always helpful to get a kid's attention and, honestly, even as an adult they made me giggle and brought back fond memories of Mr. Potato Head.

The message of self-acceptance that this book brings is fundamental, especially these days. Celebrating who you are and what makes you unique is a value I think all children should develop, not just to boost their self-confidence but to appreciate the uniqueness and diversity in others and build an attitude of tolerance.

The author uses several literary devices like alliteration and rhyme. This doesn't only make the reading much more musical and enjoyable but rhyming has many benefits for kids who are learning: they improve memory, enforce inferencing abilities, improve cognitive development, promote auditory skills and help modulate articulation. They help develop literacy in general, and some studies show that the predictability of the sounds and getting to know a rhyme by heart can build confidence and be soothing for kids. The vocabulary is age-appropriate and shouldn't present any problems for the target audience.

I do have to warn adults and caregivers that the end is a bit shocking and can be upsetting for sensitive kids, so they should probably be present the first time the kid reads the book. The ending was the part I enjoyed the least.

The book is exceptionally well edited, and I couldn't find a single mistake. I recommend this book for young readers of preschool age, as well as parents, caregivers, and teachers that want to introduce a fun book with a positive message to kids this age. I wouldn't recommend it for kids past age 6 or 7, as they might find the plot too simple and get bored.

I rate Four Funny Potatoes by Len Foley 4 out of 4 stars for its funny plot, encouraging life lesson, musical and beneficial use of language resources and attractive illustrations.

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lunastella's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I could just imagine the banana's predicament. It's great when books celebrate diversity and emphasize what's good and constructive. Thank you for your interesting review!
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Espie wrote: 20 May 2019, 07:09 I could just imagine the banana's predicament. It's great when books celebrate diversity and emphasize what's good and constructive. Thank you for your interesting review!
I think we can all relate to the banana, at one point or another of our lives. Thank you for your kind comment, Espie!
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

This sounds like an interesting take on being different - as we all are! I don't have young children around but will keep this in mind if I find myself in need of a nice story for little ones!
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I do have to warn adults and caregivers that the end is a bit shocking and can be upsetting for sensitive kids, so they should probably be present the first time the kid reads the book. The ending was the part I enjoyed the least.
I am curious, in light of this, how come you still gave the book a full rating? The rest of it must have been exceptional. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book, Andrea!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

A great book with a great message. It's important for kids to learn while they are in formation years about the importance of staying true to themselves and to avoid the trap of fitting in. A book worth reading to kids and I would love to read this book too as a reminder to myself.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 22 May 2019, 03:03 A great book with a great message. It's important for kids to learn while they are in formation years about the importance of staying true to themselves and to avoid the trap of fitting in. A book worth reading to kids and I would love to read this book too as a reminder to myself.
I agree. We could all use an occasional reminder to stay true to ourselves, but it's an especially important quality to build up in young readers. Thank you so much for commenting!

nooregano wrote: 21 May 2019, 00:45
I am curious, in light of this, how come you still gave the book a full rating? The rest of it must have been exceptional. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book, Andrea!
It is in fact, exceptional, in my opinion. I would've preferred a nicer ending, but I have to acknowledge the plot is up to the author.
Thank you so much for your interest!

allbooked+ wrote: 20 May 2019, 19:30 This sounds like an interesting take on being different - as we all are! I don't have young children around but will keep this in mind if I find myself in need of a nice story for little ones!
I don't have kids yet either but I like to keep up with children's books for family and friends' presents and recommendations.
Thanks for stopping by!
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

Loved this book myself. I was giggling from start to finish. Thank you for your review.

Ronel_Steyn wrote: 24 May 2019, 02:56 Loved this book myself. I was giggling from start to finish. Thank you for your review.
It's such a fun read, even for adults!
Thanks for your comment!
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

This sounds like such a fun book! I would love to read it to my kids. They love rhyme and alliteration and it's always nice when a book has a good message to go along with it.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I read this book and enjoyed it very much. I loved the lesson it taught. So, thanks for your lovely review.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Awesome point about self-acceptance, Andrea. It is true we struggle to fit in, and at one point or other,we finally have to accept ourselves as we are. I have read and reviewed the book,and indeed found the end shocking. Thanks for the review!

Shrabastee wrote: 31 May 2019, 03:54 Awesome point about self-acceptance, Andrea. It is true we struggle to fit in, and at one point or other,we finally have to accept ourselves as we are. I have read and reviewed the book,and indeed found the end shocking. Thanks for the review!
I think we have to work on our self-acceptance and self-esteem consistently, and I'm glad this book has such a positive message. I definitely didn't see the end coming!
Thank you for your kind comment, Shrabastee.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”