Official Review: Pandora's Eyes by James M. Corkill

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Official Review: Pandora's Eyes by James M. Corkill

Post by Delaney35 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pandora's Eyes" by James M. Corkill.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pandora’s Eyes by James M. Corkill is the fifth book in his series. Alex Cave had discovered several alien ships hidden deep within the earth. A rival of his also acquired some of the advanced technology and sent it into orbit to collect space debris. However, in the Arctic, another alien vessel’s AI, Pandora, awakes and begins to send a signal to the ship in orbit. This signal messes with the weather patterns around the earth, causing natural disasters to pop up everywhere. These weather patterns are destructive and cause all kinds of problems. Alex takes a team to investigate the ship that is in the Arctic. He makes contact with Pandora, and she informs him that people with brown eyes are prone to violence, and she will kill them all.

The main plot of this book was exciting and fun to read; it was my favorite part. The pacing in the second half of the novel was quick enough to match the urgency of Alex and his team, but not fast enough to be confusing. The fast pace also helped to build the tension as they struggled to find a way to stop Pandora from murdering everyone with brown eyes.

However, there were a lot of issues with this book. There were frequent grammatical mistakes throughout the whole book. Since there were more than ten mistakes, I will take away a star from the rating.

What I disliked most about this book was the lack of characterization. Now, this is the fifth book in the series. However, there was almost no character development; Alex was a typical protagonist, and Pandora was a typical antagonist. The supporting characters were also bland. Perhaps they had been developed better in previous books. However, none of them had an interesting arc in this one.

I also disliked the length of the opening. Corkill did not introduce Pandora until a third of the book was over, and it is only around 150 pages in length. The main issue should have been introduced sooner. Then the main arc could have been expanded on more.

Overall, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I am taking one star away because of the numerous mistakes I noticed. I am taking the second star away because of the shallow characters. I think readers of science fiction would enjoy this book as there is a large focus on alien technology.

Pandora's Eyes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Delaney35's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I guess it's a good thing I have blue eyes... This sounds somewhat interesting, but it does sound a bit shallow. Perhaps it would make a bit more sense and have more meaning along with the other books in the series? Anyway, I think I'll skip it. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 May 2019, 08:54 I guess it's a good thing I have blue eyes... This sounds somewhat interesting, but it does sound a bit shallow. Perhaps it would make a bit more sense and have more meaning along with the other books in the series? Anyway, I think I'll skip it. Thanks, though.
I definitely think reading the other books first would have been helpful. Thanks for commenting!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

The killer with brown eyes? Sounds strange. I am wondering why the color of the eyes were so important. Still, the story sounds like it could be interesting. It is too bad about the grammatical errors. Thanks for the honest review!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I think I'll probably pass on this one, due to the flat characters and the grammatical issues. I wonder if the previous four books were better? Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 20 May 2019, 09:29 The killer with brown eyes? Sounds strange. I am wondering why the color of the eyes were so important. Still, the story sounds like it could be interesting. It is too bad about the grammatical errors. Thanks for the honest review!
Thanks for commenting!
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Rachel Lea wrote: 20 May 2019, 09:31 I think I'll probably pass on this one, due to the flat characters and the grammatical issues. I wonder if the previous four books were better? Thank you for your review!
I am also curious if the others are better. Thanks for commenting!
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

One of those books where the title is promising but the plot doesn't deliver. Thanks for the informative review.
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Uinto wrote: 20 May 2019, 10:45 One of those books where the title is promising but the plot doesn't deliver. Thanks for the informative review.
Yeah, the summary sounded super interesting but the actual book was rather disappointing. Thanks for commenting!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

It sounds like an interesting and promising story, but pacing and characterisation are so so important in a good book. They are two of the main things I look for, along with editing. It seems as this particular tome missed the mark on all three, so I will skip this one for now. Thanks for your great review! Cheers
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Meg98 wrote: 20 May 2019, 13:51 It sounds like an interesting and promising story, but pacing and characterisation are so so important in a good book. They are two of the main things I look for, along with editing. It seems as this particular tome missed the mark on all three, so I will skip this one for now. Thanks for your great review! Cheers
Thanks for commenting!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I like books that have good character development so I will probably pass on this one, although the pace and the plot sound appealing. Thanks for a great review!
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Prisallen wrote: 22 May 2019, 10:59 I like books that have good character development so I will probably pass on this one, although the pace and the plot sound appealing. Thanks for a great review!
Thanks for commenting!
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

I wouldn't probably read the book since I think that it's more interesting to watch science fiction than read. But I liked the honest review.
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Zeix wrote: 23 May 2019, 14:39 I wouldn't probably read the book since I think that it's more interesting to watch science fiction than read. But I liked the honest review.
Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”