Official Review: Just Beneath Hope

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Official Review: Just Beneath Hope

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just Beneath Hope" by Brenda J. Stemmler/B.Jade.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bob and Brenda were married on October 16, 2010, in a small church surrounded by their family and friends. Brenda remembered her friend asking her, “Brenda, are you sure you want to marry this man? He is so sick, and it would be a lot to take on in a marriage.” Bob had had a liver transplant and then was hit by a metro bus causing a hematoma on his brain. But Brenda was sure. Her love was strong, and she was prepared to take care of him through his illness.

Just Beneath Hope: The Dance, by B. Jade, is Bob’s true story written by Brenda. It is a story of love, faith in God, and hope for life. Brenda stuck by Bob through the worse times imaginable. Even when his liver illness and the medicines he was prescribed caused him to turn mean, Brenda understood why his demeanor changed and obtained help for him immediately. She never gave up on him. She never abandoned him.

The book title comes from Bob’s comment, “You can’t dance without the pain.” He meant the dance of life. When recovering from a surgery, he said he was dancing on his bed because he had survived. Bob loved life. His favorite pastime was fishing. There was nothing he loved more than spending the day with his faithful dog, Banjo, in his fishing boat. Bob always said that when he became too weak to fish, his life would be over.

Brenda and Bob always believed that God would take care of them. My favorite story was about Bob’s last Christmas in 2012. He wanted to celebrate with all the traditional trimmings including a big tree and all of the family coming home. Brenda was the only one able to work and was supporting the family. There wasn’t any extra money to buy a large tree. So Brenda went to the Dollar General store and found a seven-foot artificial tree. The manager said the box was damaged, but the tree was okay. It was left from the previous year and was on sale. When the price was rung up, Brenda couldn’t believe it. It was on sale for one penny. That year Brenda and Bob had a beautiful one-penny tree with homemade ornaments. All of their family came, and they had a truly memorable last Christmas.

The final blow fell when Bob was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer. Bob didn’t want to give up, but ultimately knew his hope had changed to “just beneath hope.” He wanted to make the most of the remaining time he had left. This is a very sad story, and I’ll admit I cried some as I was reading it. But it is also an inspirational story of courage and deeply committed love. The book is filled with stories of Brenda and Bob’s life together, their heartbreaks and their joys. Many family photos are included in the book showing their wedding, the one-penny Christmas tree, and their family. The book cover shows a touching picture of Bob and Banjo out in the fishing boat.

Brenda dedicated this book to the American Cancer Society and to all of the medical professionals that took care of Bob. She authored the book hoping it might help others with cancer and their caregivers. She cautions you can’t go through this alone. She encourages others to seek help with the American Cancer Society, Meals on Wheels, home nurses and hospice. She realized she had to also take care of herself so that she could be strong for Bob.

This beautiful story was truly remarkable. These people were very strong in their trust in prayer and God. I would recommend this story to anyone who wants to read an intensely moving autobiography. But I must caution that the emotions may be too strong for sensitive people. I didn’t find any grammatical or spelling errors in this short 132-page book and believe it has been professionally edited. I enjoyed this book very much and am rating it 4 out of 4 stars.

Just Beneath Hope
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jsovermyer's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Bob went through so much in his life. It sounded like he had a great attitude throughout it all, which is so difficult. I'm so glad the two found love. It sounds like this would be quite an emotional book, and I'm not sure I'm up for it at the moment. Thank you for the review, though. I will put it on a list to read later.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

It's so refreshing to read a true-life story of a married couple that stuck together through it all. Brenda's selflessness and her unwavering devotion to her husband are very touching. Thanks so much for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I am looking forward to reading this book. I like not-fiction books, especially those that deeply describe love and life with its many obstacles.
Thanks for the excellent review!
Juju15
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juju15.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Juju15 »

This book sounds very emotional and I find it very courageous of Brenda to tell such a personal story and dedicating it to a good cause. Thanks for your great review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

Wow! What a beautiful story line this seems to have. I love heart-warming/inspiring stories, and this one sounds like nothing less. I will check this one out.. Thanks for this excellent review. Cheers!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

Wow, it sounds like a true inspirational story. I can see why this story would bring you to tears! Thanks for the great review!
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts

Shakespeare-As You Like It Act II, Scene VII
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Every moment is a test, it all depends on one's ability to never give up, patience and endurance. Thank you for this candid account!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a wonderful book, but I think it would be too depressing for me. I have trouble shaking those emotions off sometimes. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

This sounds like a great book to read. You summarized things so well! I might have to add it to my list of books to read.
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 May 2019, 08:57 Wow! Bob went through so much in his life. It sounded like he had a great attitude throughout it all, which is so difficult. I'm so glad the two found love. It sounds like this would be quite an emotional book, and I'm not sure I'm up for it at the moment. Thank you for the review, though. I will put it on a list to read later.
It was a very sad book, and I cried several times when I was reading it. But it was also inspiring that they had so much faith and love.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I really admire Brenda's courage and perseverance. She knew Bob was sick, but there was no way she could know what was coming in his future health issues. This would be an emotional, yet uplifting, story to read. Thanks so much for this wonderful recommendation!
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 May 2019, 08:57 Wow! Bob went through so much in his life. It sounded like he had a great attitude throughout it all, which is so difficult. I'm so glad the two found love. It sounds like this would be quite an emotional book, and I'm not sure I'm up for it at the moment. Thank you for the review, though. I will put it on a list to read later.
It was very emotional. It made me cry several times when I was reading it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”