Official Review: A Loaf Of Bread by Rana Bitar

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: A Loaf Of Bread by Rana Bitar

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Loaf Of Bread" by Rana Bitar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Loaf of Bread by Rana Bitar is a collection of heart-felt poetry. The author is from Syria, and she lived through a very turbulent time in the country’s history. Bitar experienced loss of many kinds and faced the unknown on a daily basis. The poetry in this collection focuses on the author’s home and the distress her people experienced during the country’s civil war. The collection consists of ten free-verse poems of varying lengths; some are only a few lines while others are approximately four pages.

The themes explored in this collection are deep and thought provoking. The author’s handling of death, destruction, sorrow and loss is profound and moving. It is clear from the beginning that the author was deeply impacted by the events she describes in this collection. While some themes at first appear obvious, like in “Beheading” where the content is self-explanatory, the poems also contain deeper meaning. Helped along by metaphor, reoccurring motifs and innuendo, each poem in Bitar’s collection is engaging, and it will take one some time to mull over the words and find the less-obvious interpretation. I loved the complexity of Bitar’s poems.

Fans of poetry will relish the feeling-imbued words of this collection. From the first lines of “Where I am From,” the introductory poem of the collection, one can effortlessly see and, more importantly, feel the author’s homeland. Bitar shows us the setting using prose to fill the reader’s head with rich images of her culture and day-to-day life. For example, two lines that immediately caught my attention: “I am from the secret service boots.” and “I am from the hushed steps to school.” As the poems continue, the significant consideration that went into the selection and placement of each word becomes obvious.

In addition to the thoughtful word choice, each poem has a purposeful tempo, and the prose is supported by a clear pattern. It was refreshing to see the author achieve this flow without the use of rhyme. When read aloud, much of Bitar’s poetry reads like a somber ode, or, in some instances, like a lullaby, while others flow along like a mournful song. The versatility of the author’s meter really astounded me and only added to my conclusion that every word and every punctuation mark was thoughtfully and purposefully placed.

One mark of a good poet is the ability to convey events with emotions attached; Bitar far exceeds this mark in each and every poem. Although ten poems doesn’t sound like a lot for a poetry collection, this number works in the author’s favor. Each of the ten poems is memorable, meaningful and enigmatic. Further, the collection is perfectly edited, and just like with her words, the author thoughtfully uses punctuation to amplify her statements. Since I found myself reading these poems over and over again and felt such a connection to the author, I rate A Loaf of Bread 4 out of 4 stars. Readers who enjoy poetry that makes you think, empathize and feel will love this collection. Further, readers who enjoy expanding their horizons will gain a new cultural perspective from this author’s words.

A Loaf Of Bread
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a brilliant collection, despite being a small one. I love that it is emotional and gives you a deep insight into the Syrian civil war. I might pick this up. Thanks for the brilliant review!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love poetry, but I find a lot that I don't enjoy for every book that I do. Reviews like yours help me select works that are actually profound and well executed. I want to read this one. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The thing about poetry is that it's such a cathartic experience. Also, it can really bring the emotions of the poet to the reader. With the difficult times the author faced, I'm sure this is very emotional. Still, I have a hard time relating to poetry, so I'll probably pass on this one. I'm glad that it was a good collection, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

You give high praise to the author for the content of the poems as well as the form. This is very encouraging. It is obvious from the titles of the poems that she has experienced some very traumatic things. I appreciate your positive comments about her work.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am not usually a fan of poetry. However, your review intrigues me to consider this collection. Thank you for the recommendation!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another insightful review. I usually prefer light-hearted themes in poems, but this collection looks interesting.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by spencermack »

I also loved A Loaf of Bread. Bitar was masterful in the construction of her poems and emotions.
Spencer Mack
Ganiyat Ajibade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ganiyat Ajibade »

I like the preview tho but the book is emotional.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

This sounds like an incredibly heartfelt collection of poetry. It may be a good addition to middle and high school classrooms to teach about the Syrian war.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

I've read this and it is a wonderful collection of emotional poems. She uses alliteration masterfully. She didn't rhyme that much but may start each line of a poem the same. She addresses, Mother, in several of the poems which gives it a more heart felt quality. I'm not an expert of poetry but I found these poems beautifully tragic and eye opening.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A poetry book revolving around the author's experiences during Syria's civil war sounds intense. Thought-provoking themes, purposeful tempo, and meaningful poems make this a good read for fans of the genre. I don't read poetry, but I am glad you loved it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Not really a big fan of poetry as a genre, but I do explore the occasional book now and again. I found this book quite refreshing and thank you for the awesome review that did nothing short of converting me to poetry.
oluwafunmilayo+
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by oluwafunmilayo+ »

This is an enjoyable collection of poems,it talks about love,war and what it brings generally, to those who love poems I think this is something u should read.
3457+-_
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by 3457+-_ »

Loaf of Bread by Rita Bitar is a poetry written book about her experiences during Syria civil war, she uses various themes to portray situations such as hardships, deaths which brings along good flow, I rate this book 4 out of 4

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”