Official Review: Battlecraft VR by Linden Storm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Battlecraft VR by Linden Storm

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Battlecraft VR" by Linden Storm.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s sometime in the near future, and Battlecraft is the newest and hottest virtual reality multiplayer game on the market. Teams from all over the world compete for the title of Battlecraft champions. Formed only a few months ago, The Untouchables team consists of a mail-order bride facing deportation, a former foster kid with anger issues and a chip on her shoulder, a war veteran on parole, a Ph.D. candidate on the brink of dropping out, and the owner of a cannabis delivery service. Somehow, despite being underfunded and underappreciated, this ragtag group of near strangers has moved up through the rankings and shocked fans everywhere by making it into the world finals.

After their surprising semifinal victory, the Untouchables have only a few weeks to prepare for the finals. But upon returning home, their best player disappears. Where is she? Did she go into hiding to avoid being deported? Was it one of the many gaming world trolls, livid at the idea of a female-led team making the finals, finally making good on his online threats? What about her creepy husband? If the rest of the team is going to find her before the finals, they will need to overcome their differences and work together, testing their virtual reality gaming skills against real-world dangers.

I am not a gamer by any means, but Battlecraft VR by Linden Storm pulled me right in from the opening gaming scene with its vivid descriptions and flawless introductions of the characters. The point of view shifted between several of the characters throughout the book, pulling the plot along swiftly with its mystery and action. By about two-thirds of the way through the book, my adrenaline was really pumping, and I was completely invested in the Untouchables and their plight. I think this book has the makings of a great movie, and I would love to see this story on the big screen someday.

The near future United States setting is fun and believable. Only self-driving cars are allowed on interstate highways. Peoples’ identification and bank account information is contained on scannable implanted chips. “Smart” shirts can self-clean, monitor the wearer’s heart rate, and alert the wearer to new social media notifications. Unfortunately, though technology has progressed, the social issues that plague us today are still present in the future. Sexism, racism, homophobia, and xenophobia still run rampant in certain circles, and the characters have to face this prejudice head-on.

The most impressive part of this book to me was the character development. The author seamlessly weaves each character’s backstory into the plot in a way that really lets me into their psyches. The writing style varies with each character’s perspective as well, so they have identifiable and distinct personalities. Some have a great sense of humor while some are more serious, and some have more hurt and anger to work through. All of the characters are flawed, but all of them are realistic, and I grew to adore them. I felt privileged to get to see them grow throughout the course of the novel as their challenges brought them closer to each other and their own self-understanding.

Although there is nothing that I truly disliked about Battlecraft VR, I did find the theme of combatting prejudice to be a bit surface level. The good guys are enlightened, and the bad guys are bigots. I felt like the author could have gone a little bit deeper into tackling this issue, maybe by addressing the root of why some of the characters felt the way they did. Nevertheless, the story is fantastic as it is, and I feel that the themes of teamwork, trust, and what it means to be a family are all brilliantly explored.

The book was well edited. I did find a handful of small errors, but they were nothing that detracted from the story. Because of how much I loved the characters and the action-packed plot, I happily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. If you are interested in gaming or virtual reality, you will love this book. But even if you are not, like me, Battlecraft VR has so much to offer a reader, and I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys great characters and fast-paced action stories.

Battlecraft VR
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like unamilagra's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

A book about virtual reality? Sounds exciting! Thank you for the wonderful review!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds right up my alley. I love that there are five main well-developed characters that we can get to know. And I love litRPG, so this one seems to be in my reading zone. I ALSO love (full of love today) your review. Thanks so much!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

The plot of this book sounds really cool and unique! I'm definitely checking this one out. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a very interesting story, and incredibly unique! I like your comments about character development... that is a sign of a gifted author, one that can draw you into the experience solely with their descriptions of characters. I will definitely be checking this one out. Thanks for your excellent review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your review makes this book sound really interesting. The idea of a movie would be wonderful. I enjoyed the creative inventions the author sees in our future. Great review! This looks good.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 19 May 2019, 13:59 A book about virtual reality? Sounds exciting! Thank you for the wonderful review!
Yes, it was a very exciting read. Thank you for stopping by!

Bianka Walter wrote: 19 May 2019, 14:24 This sounds right up my alley. I love that there are five main well-developed characters that we can get to know. And I love litRPG, so this one seems to be in my reading zone. I ALSO love (full of love today) your review. Thanks so much!
Aww, thank you for the love, and the comment! I hope you decide to check it out.

Rachel Lea wrote: 19 May 2019, 18:20 The plot of this book sounds really cool and unique! I'm definitely checking this one out. Thanks for your review!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thanks for your comment!

Meg98 wrote: 19 May 2019, 19:39 This sounds like a very interesting story, and incredibly unique! I like your comments about character development... that is a sign of a gifted author, one that can draw you into the experience solely with their descriptions of characters. I will definitely be checking this one out. Thanks for your excellent review!
I agree, I was really impressed with the character development in the novel. Thank you for commenting!

kdstrack wrote: 19 May 2019, 21:24 Your review makes this book sound really interesting. The idea of a movie would be wonderful. I enjoyed the creative inventions the author sees in our future. Great review! This looks good.
Thank you so much for stopping by!
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

This sounds really interesting, and as though it's a very realistic depiction of what the future might end up like! I'll definitely have to give this a read
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

I like the competitive spirit in this game. The characters also seem eccentric enough for my taste. Thanks for the review.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Wow! It's quite amazing how technology has really progressed, and this piece seems to have immense potentials in tapping the interest of today's younger generations hooked up with the virtual reality hype. Thank you for your interesting review!
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like it would be right up my alley! I love the conglomeration of characters! A mail order bride? An owner of a cannabis delivery service? A foster kid? I can imagine that would be memorable. I'm going to definitely put this on my list! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

The most impressive part of this book to me was the character development. The author seamlessly weaves each character’s backstory into the plot in a way that really lets me into their psyches. The writing style varies with each character’s perspective as well, so they have identifiable and distinct personalities. Some have a great sense of humor while some are more serious, and some have more hurt and anger to work through. All of the characters are flawed, but all of them are realistic, and I grew to adore them. I felt privileged to get to see them grow throughout the course of the novel as their challenges brought them closer to each other and their own self-understanding.
Excellent analysis! I love good character development. This sounds like a good read. :D :D
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

Melissa Breen wrote: 19 May 2019, 23:14 This sounds really interesting, and as though it's a very realistic depiction of what the future might end up like! I'll definitely have to give this a read
Yes, I thought so too! I hope you enjoy the book. Thanks for commenting!

Uinto wrote: 20 May 2019, 00:28 I like the competitive spirit in this game. The characters also seem eccentric enough for my taste. Thanks for the review.
Yes, they were eccentric and fun characters. Thanks for your comment!

Espie wrote: 20 May 2019, 04:11 Wow! It's quite amazing how technology has really progressed, and this piece seems to have immense potentials in tapping the interest of today's younger generations hooked up with the virtual reality hype. Thank you for your interesting review!
That's a good point, I bet young adults would love this book. Thanks for stopping by!

kandscreeley wrote: 20 May 2019, 09:32 This sounds like it would be right up my alley! I love the conglomeration of characters! A mail order bride? An owner of a cannabis delivery service? A foster kid? I can imagine that would be memorable. I'm going to definitely put this on my list! Thanks!
Yes, they were a fun bunch! Thanks for your comment!

sarahmarlowe wrote: 20 May 2019, 16:24 Excellent analysis! I love good character development. This sounds like a good read. :D :D

Thanks for commenting! It was a great read.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Well-developed characters are essentially the one thing I look for in a book, so this sounds like it would be a great, fun read.
Although there is nothing that I truly disliked about Battlecraft VR, I did find the theme of combatting prejudice to be a bit surface level. The good guys are enlightened, and the bad guys are bigots.
This is a bit unfortunate, and I don't like it when certain types of people are "otherised" by a fictional author. I personally don't think it's very responsible. I'm glad you liked the book so much, unamilagra. This was a fun review to read! :D
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

The Untouchables team consists of a mail-order bride facing deportation, a former foster kid with anger issues and a chip on her shoulder, a war veteran on parole, a Ph.D. candidate on the brink of dropping out, and the owner of a cannabis delivery service.
What a strange group. It would be interesting to see how they interact with each other. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”