Official Review: Being Greta by Maxine Sinclair

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Being Greta by Maxine Sinclair

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Being Greta" by Maxine Sinclair.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Greta Palmer is deaf. While she has never let the label define her, she can’t help but feel isolated by certain people in her life. When she is asked to be a part of a documentary that showcases artists with disabilities, she is over the moon. Unfortunately, her mother and boyfriend, Olly, do not share in the sentiment. Her mother worries about how the show will portray Greta, and Olly believes she is setting herself up to be the laughing stock of the town.

Meanwhile, Greta is weighing the pros and cons of surgery to insert a cochlear implant. While the surgery is invasive and comes with risks, it could significantly improve her quality of life.

Finally, there is Connor. A handsome interpreter that has been assigned to work with Greta on the documentary. When her tumultuous relationship with Olly begins to unravel, her fondness for Connor grows.

Greta has important decisions to make. These decisions could change the course of her life forever. What will she choose?

Being Greta by Maxine Sinclair is a story about love, overcoming obstacles, and the stigma attached to living with a disability.

Olly and Greta’s relationship seemed like it was based on control rather than love. While reading the book, I could visualize the imbalance of power that existed in their union. Greta seemed to be the glue holding the relationship together, but it was Olly reaping the rewards. He was vehemently against learning to sign but wanted Greta to endure a painful operation. I felt as though Olly used Greta’s disability against her, which ultimately led to the depletion of her self-esteem.

Since the story is told in Greta’s perspective, I quickly became aware of the oppression one can feel when faced with a disability. While she did have some involvement in the deaf community, most of her family and friends were able to hear. Olly nor her family had learned to sign, so Greta relied on lip-reading. There were times that her mother would turn away while talking, and when Greta would ask her to repeat what was said, she would dismiss her, saying, “It’s not important.” This caused her to feel excluded from conversations, which led to feeling alienated because of her disability.

My favorite part of Being Greta was the unpredictable exchanges between Greta and Connor. At times they would be giggling and stealing glances of one another, and the next moment they would be yelling at one another. It was apparent that the attraction was mutual, but under the circumstances, they were forced to hold back feelings. I think this is what caused so much turbulence in their friendship. Throughout the whole book, I was crossing my fingers, hoping they would end up together.

I enjoyed all aspects of Being Greta and therefore give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The book was professionally edited, and I found no errors. I would recommend this book to anyone who has ever felt isolated due to a mental or physical disability. So often we find ourselves imagining how perfect life would be if we could change that one thing about ourselves, but at the end of the day, it is that one thing that makes us unique.

Being Greta
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Stephanie Elizabeth's review? Post a comment saying so!
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

This sounds like one worth reading. Many thanks for your excellent review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 18 May 2019, 04:37 This sounds like one worth reading. Many thanks for your excellent review!
Thank you!
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

This could be a good read for anyone who wants to better understand what life is like for someone with a disability. I am glad to see that it is well-written. I hope Greta discovered what was best for her. Thanks for an excellent review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Great review as always! :) Being Great sounds like a touching and very emotional read. I already love the main character and would definitely give this book a try.
Stephanie Elizabeth

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 18 May 2019, 08:32 This could be a good read for anyone who wants to better understand what life is like for someone with a disability. I am glad to see that it is well-written. I hope Greta discovered what was best for her. Thanks for an excellent review.
Yes, it was a great eye-opener. Thanks for your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Ellylion wrote: 18 May 2019, 09:11 Great review as always! :) Being Great sounds like a touching and very emotional read. I already love the main character and would definitely give this book a try.
Thank you for your kind words!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I appreciate books that promote awareness of those who have disabilities and the struggles that they often go through. This story is very human and realistic. Thanks for your great review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Stephanie Elizabeth

Rachel Lea wrote: 18 May 2019, 16:08 I appreciate books that promote awareness of those who have disabilities and the struggles that they often go through. This story is very human and realistic. Thanks for your great review!
I am so happy that I stumbled upon this book. Thanks for your thoughtful comment!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Thanks for this excellent review. This is just the kind of book I enjoy reading! Greta’s story would appeal to many, not just those with disabilities but also those caught up in controlling relationships. I do hope there’s a happy ending in store for her, and I, too, hope she and Connor manage to connect.
Stephanie Elizabeth

sonya01 wrote: 18 May 2019, 16:47 Thanks for this excellent review. This is just the kind of book I enjoy reading! Greta’s story would appeal to many, not just those with disabilities but also those caught up in controlling relationships. I do hope there’s a happy ending in store for her, and I, too, hope she and Connor manage to connect.
Yes. I agree. This book may also be eye-opening for those in toxic relationships. Thank you for your comment!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

It was difficult to read of how Greta's mother and Olly treated her. No wonder her self esteem suffered. This does sound like a story that champions those with disabilities and what they have to overcome just to lead a "normal" life. That was a great review!
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 18 May 2019, 04:37 This sounds like one worth reading. Many thanks for your excellent review!
I have the same opinion..I am interested of this book..nice review
Krissykat
Currently Reading: Raptor
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krissykat.html
Latest Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Post by Krissykat »

Outstanding review. Your description of the book and your own insightful opinions made me want to read this book right away. And your right, friends and family members don't always understand what's its like to live with a disability.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Greta doesn't have to worry much for it is every mother's right and responsibility to worry about her children. Obviously she meant well.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”