Official Review: The Man from Mystic by Tim Schell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: The Man from Mystic by Tim Schell

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Man from Mystic" by Tim Schell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Man from Mystic is an interesting and an intriguing book written by Tim Schell.

Witness to a crime and running from perceived danger one Saturday night in New Orleans, Irma takes a random turn that leads her to Fred’s door. Fred is a recluse who lives a life of solitude and perceived mediocrity. That night is the beginning of a partnership based on companionship and mutual respect.

What they have seems like an unlikely partnership, with Fred’s spontaneity contrary to Irma’s cautious nature and attention to detail. Somehow, however, they are able to make things work. Their partnership takes them to Istanbul, Turkey, where they meet new friends and get involved with exciting, albeit, dangerous activities. Emboldened by Irma’s reassuring presence, Fred is finally able to do things he has always dreamed to do and discovers courage and strength he never knew he has.

From Istanbul to Cairo, Egypt, then on to Doha, Qatar, Fred sets off to the unknown just so he could help a friend. He meets people, both friends and foe and gets sucked into a mysterious ‘project’ he knows very little about.

Meanwhile, Irma discovers something about herself as well and that is what and how she really feels for the man from Mystic.

Told in the third-person perspective, this is an intriguing book with ten chapters. The excitement begins early on in the story. The plot is unpredictable making the story, somehow, suspenseful. Scenes are vividly described and so are the feelings and emotions of the characters. The author creates a set of well-developed and relatable characters, both main and minor. Naturally, my favorite is Fred, the man from Mystic. Despite his seemingly insignificant past, he took the opportunity to make his life exciting when it was presented to him. For me, it requires great courage to step out of one’s comfort zone.

Generally, it is one enjoyable book. The part I like most is the depiction of Fred and Irma’s companionship. It is warm and easy. It is something everybody, probably, wishes for himself/herself.

However, for a story that involves world-changing computer programs, foreign agents, and US State Department, I found the plot less intense than I expected and the scenes are, somehow, unrealistic in that the agents are uncharacteristically kind and understanding and violence is maintained at the minimum.

Moreover, I found the romance part between two minor characters a bit juvenile considering the profiles of the characters involved. Furthermore, I found the ending a little anticlimactic, hence, less satisfying than I hoped. Finally, there are noticeable errors within the entire book including missing commas and apostrophes (looked into Mohammed eyes and looked into Georges face) and typo errors (felt out if his comfort zone instead of of his comfort zone and much different that hard assets instead of than hard assets). They detract from the overall reading experience.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is interesting and intriguing. I recommend it to readers who enjoy adventure novels with a bit of romance.

The Man from Mystic
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
SALTH2OLOVER2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by SALTH2OLOVER2000 »

Sounds good, I am going to have to read it!
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I like that Fred and Irma found each other and that they both seem to be making a positive impact on each other's lives. I think the unrealistic features of this would irk me a bit. This one isn't for me. I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for an excellent review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like the author was trying to make this one a lighter read than a typical novel with such elements. I'm just not sure that works well. I'm glad you were able to enjoy some parts of it, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The title sounds intriguing, and I like the character development of Fred. The aspects mentioned at the end of your review are food for thought. Thanks for your honest review of this book.
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

Thanks for your review of this one. I think I'm going to have to skip it, based on your thoughts of it being unrealistic, juvenile in parts and anticlimactic!
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

SALTH2OLOVER2000 wrote: 16 May 2019, 04:19 Sounds good, I am going to have to read it!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 16 May 2019, 06:15 I like that Fred and Irma found each other and that they both seem to be making a positive impact on each other's lives. I think the unrealistic features of this would irk me a bit. This one isn't for me. I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for an excellent review.
Thank you very much. I enjoyed it despite my issues.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 May 2019, 08:33 It sounds like the author was trying to make this one a lighter read than a typical novel with such elements. I'm just not sure that works well. I'm glad you were able to enjoy some parts of it, though. Thanks.
That's what I thought, too. He, probably, avoided violence and gore that are usually involved in this genre.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kdstrack wrote: 16 May 2019, 11:14 The title sounds intriguing, and I like the character development of Fred. The aspects mentioned at the end of your review are food for thought. Thanks for your honest review of this book.
Thank you. It's quite enjoyable despite the issues I mentioned.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

janinewesterweel wrote: 16 May 2019, 15:40 Thanks for your review of this one. I think I'm going to have to skip it, based on your thoughts of it being unrealistic, juvenile in parts and anticlimactic!
You're welcome and thank you for the comment.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I enjoy romances where the author spends time developing the friendship and connection between the two people involved. This sounds like a really interesting book. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Rachel Lea wrote: 17 May 2019, 10:48 I enjoy romances where the author spends time developing the friendship and connection between the two people involved. This sounds like a really interesting book. Thanks for your review!
You're welcome. It's one enjoyable book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”