Official Review: Blocks by Tara Basi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Official Review: Blocks by Tara Basi

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Wow this sounds so good after your review. This is not something I would normally read but sounds like it is well written. Developed characters, suspense and some action makes for a good story. I am a visual person, seeing every word I read so a derail description of the scenes will make it more awesome for me. I may give it a try. Congratulations on BOTD.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

With strong word-buiding and changing viewpoints, it seems the author has made this book so interesting that lovers of sci-fi/fantansy should actually pick it. I intend to look at it in details. Thank you for this wonderful review!
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

This is the 3rd book by this author to be BOTD and all 3 have sounded incredible!! I still haven’t read them and need to prioritize!
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
darbybj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 803

Post by darbybj »

"Blocks", by Tara Basi begins with two young boys named Battery Boy and Stuff who are living in a place filled with monoliths where they have to hide from Hunters. They have to struggle to survive. While looking for food one niocght they go checking their traps that they have set and can across the body of a "old boy" and take a sachet off of him which contains a map, a torch a gun and bullets and a toy replica of the city. Battery Boy decides he can use it to search Block Seven and maybe he will be able to find his friend. Then the boys are chased into the Block by Hunters and befriend one of them named Jugger. Then the book starts telling about a ship that has been in space a century Earth years and a decade outer space time. Mina, Sara, Grain, Gene and Commander Cole are the occupants of the ship. They find out that they have lost communication with home base and they have to try to find a way to get back home. The book is full of suspense throughout as well as sci fi and fantasy. The author has done a great job on the visualization of this book. It was like I could see the Block, the sunsets, the young boys and the ship. The book was well written and held my interest so I give the book 4 * ' s.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It is quite rare to find gems such as this where you finish a book and all you want is to read the entire series. Congratulations to the author for the remarkable job done and thanks for your nice review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Great to know that the characters are interesting and realistic and that the world building was nice. Nice review.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I have so many books on my TBR list, but this book really does sound interesting enough for me to take a look later on.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I love the intro of your review. The illustration of your life as a kid and the break you also give to the description of the book. It has attracted my attention to this review. The search for one pal who got lost seems a great challenge.

It is good that you enjoyed reading this book. Congrats on the review of the book of the day.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book with post apocalyptic storyline and an intriguing plot sounds interesting. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Blocks by Tara Basi is a perfect combination of #ScienceFiction and  #PostApocalyptic tale revolving around a prototype spaceship crew who returned after a long space mission and found out that the cities were deserted and mankind were missing. Thirteen gargantuan monoliths are the only clues to the fate of humanity. The secrets are far more bizarre and horrific than he ever imagined.

Interesting.

Thanks for the review.

#Suspense #FirstContact
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

This sounds to be a very interesting story with an intriguing concept.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Awright
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Awright »

Author Tara Basi included a great range of personalities for readers to dulge in, bringing emotional content to their favorite & not so favorite imaginables. Sounds like a good read. Kept my eyes peeled reading this Si-fi/fantasy review on "Blocks."
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

Although your review has an enthusiastic and descriptive aspect, I think I'll pass this book, as I'm tensed that I'll be puzzled by all the characters. But, it does seem an incredible read for the right audience. Anyway, thank you!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Tara Basi's novel seems to have all the ingredients for a successful post-apocalyptic sci-fi novel. Quick-paced and full of action, it also has relatable characters like Stuff, Battery-Boy or Mina. Thanks for a great review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I am not into science-fiction, but as described in the review, I feel this is a well-crafted novel with the characters that have been developed impeccably. Thank you for the review!
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”