Official Review: Shadow's Voice by Natalie Johanson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Official Review: Shadow's Voice by Natalie Johanson

Post by Mouricia Allen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadow's Voice" by Natalie Johanson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shadow’s Voice by Natalie Johanson is a Sci-Fi/fantasy novel. It is a story about Rose Trewin, and how she got entangled in a stranger’s mess. She has abilities she has been made to feel ashamed of and to hide from most people. These abilities allow her to move in the shadows unnoticed and allowed her to be molded into a ruthless mercenary by her father. She has been on the run for a very long time and fears staying in any place too long, in fear that he would find her. She has learned to trust no one which has served her well in the past. The story develops when she encounters another lone traveler, who strikes up conversations with her, changing her destiny forever. The story is filled with magic, betrayal, newfound friendship, and death.

I am thrilled I got to read this book, and I enjoyed the story so much I was sad when it ended. It fit the genre perfectly, and it ended up falling into a storyline that I love. Ones filled with magic and set in a time filled with dirt roads, cobblestones, and lone travelers going on quests. What I liked most is that things were able to develop naturally, and it wasn’t rushed or forced.

There are people who I wish would have made an entrance — people who were mentioned quite frequently, but never turned up. I hope there is a sequel in the works, as there are some unanswered questions that I think should be answered there. Although I have some questions, it didn’t take away from the book as it is now. I love how things happened cohesively, and I didn't have a sense of confusion.

The only thing I disliked about this book was that sometimes the change in point of view wasn’t clear enough, and I had to reread a few sentences to catch the switch. Although I didn’t like it, it wasn’t a big deal to me. It didn't affect the quality of the story in my opinion. There were a few typos, but they were so subtle, I almost didn’t catch them.

I think the book was well edited and well written. I loved so many things about this book, and I could not stop reading nor could I stop thinking about it. It was an absolute page-turner. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because, despite the issues I had with this book, I would still reread it. I would recommend this book to all lovers of fantasy novels, ones with magic and set in a non-modern world. There were no graphic or explicit scenes and is okay for children.

Shadow's Voice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mouricia25's review? Post a comment saying so!
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by writingShannon »

"Ones filled with magic and set in a time filled with dirt roads, cobblestones, and lone travelers going on quests."
Sounds like a book just how I like it! I just downloaded it. Thanks for the review.
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
c4bersg1rl
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 2078
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by c4bersg1rl »

Magic, mercenaries, betrayal and set in the past? Sci-fi/Fantasy at it's best. Thank you for your review, I think I will check this out.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

The story is without a doubt, interesting. I hear that it includes betrayal, death and new found relationship.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
zagabi
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zagabi.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: B07PQ96B6B

Post by zagabi »

shadow's Voice by Natalie Johnson, remind of my favorite movie shadow hunters, Rose on the run from her father who uses her for his mercenary job and the magical fantasy genre, make the book loaded for a nice fiction story.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Your awesome review has convinced me to give this one a shot if I get the chance. I like a well-done fantasy novel from time to time, especially one with the settings you described. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The cover is quite striking; I probably would at least look into it just for that reason. This is my genre, but I'm still on the fence if I would like this one or not. I guess I should look into a bit more, especially after such a glowing review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

c4bersg1rl wrote: 16 May 2019, 14:13 Magic, mercenaries, betrayal and set in the past? Sci-fi/Fantasy at it's best. Thank you for your review, I think I will check this out.
This book can be very interesting to me too. Thanks for the great review.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Thank you for your review! This sounds like an interesting read. I love books in the fantasy genre.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very interesting read! I love such stories, and the cover is an eye-catcher too :) Thank you for a great review!
Pixieval
Currently Reading: Your Soul Is Calling: Healing Our Ego Addiction
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pixieval »

Great review! This sounds exactly like the kind of book I enjoy, and I like when an author brings up characters that don’t make an appearance until a later book. I think it makes it not feel as stunning when a new character appears. I look forward to reading this one!
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

This review gives me mixed feelings about the book.

This is because I am a lover of sci-fi themed novels, however, I do tend to lose interest quickly if I have to go back more than a few times to reread a portion of the text. It interrupts the flow and consequently, my enthusiasm.

Still, the story line is right up my alley so I may just give it a try. Thanks for this awesome review!
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

I like that you got to enjoy the story. It's a pity her father made her feel ashamed of her abilities. Thanks for the review.
lilykhamm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilykhamm.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by lilykhamm »

Thanks for the review! I love books like this so I think I will have to explore this one.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”