Official Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons" by Sam Brand.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons: 26.2 Loving Thoughts on Why You Should Not Run a Marathon by Sam Brand is a non-fiction book about the dangers of marathon obsession. The book is partially a memoir; Brand uses his personal experiences running marathons, including the New York City Marathon, to relay his message. However, the book also takes a close look at how exercise impacts different people. Brand has categorized humans in three ways: The human ant, a person stuck in the world of long-distance running; the human chimpanzee, a person who doesn’t regularly exercise; and the human dolphin, a person who is active in many different sports but also has a balanced social life.

The book is written in an encouraging tone with simplistic language. The author’s goal is to help human ants escape from the runner’s mentality and begin to enjoy life outside of the confines of long-distance running. Brand conveys his message with short chapters imbued with his personal experiences, feelings, and advice. For anyone familiar with the marathon world, or the exercise industry in general, this book will be extremely easy to relate to. As I read Brand’s story, I quickly identified symptoms from my own exercise-crazed past.

However, there is something off about this book. The absence of a specific category makes it difficult to determine the main point: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons lacks enough detail to be a memoir, and it does not have clear guiding information to be categorized as a self-help book. For those ants trapped in the overbearing mentality of a dedicated long-distance runner, this book doesn’t hold any helpful tips about how to overcome the obsession and become a dolphin. Further, dolphins familiar with this transcendent approach to exercise might find the author’s anecdotes amusing but relatively uninspiring due to the lack of description in Brand’s personal stories.

The most disappointing aspect of the book was the lack of development of the categorization of humans as ants, chimpanzees, and dolphins. A brief description of each type of human is provided at the beginning, but only slight connections between the psychological aspects of exercise and obsession and the correlation between each of the categories are made; the hypothesis is never fully developed. Moreover, the organization of the book is strange. There are big gaps in spacing between paragraphs, and the conciseness of some chapters made them seem like hollow add-ons so the author could reach the intended 26.2 chapters.

Overall, I was unsure how to rate this book. Since I found the content relatable, the writing engaging, and the categorization of humans amusing, I didn’t want to go with a low rating. However, the lack of helpful advice and the underdevelopment of the main hypothesis left me feeling unsatisfied. Therefore, Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons earns 3 out of 4 stars. Readers interested in a new perspective on marathon running may find this book, told from the perspective of a reliable source, engaging and humorous. However, those strictly looking for a guide to help them break free of this lifestyle will be disappointed.

Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

The title of this book definitely grabs your attention. I always enjoy writing that is humorous and relatable, but I think I will pass on Dolphins Don't Run Marathons because of its apparent organizational issues and lack of depth. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds interesting. Maybe it's more in the Chicken Soup for the Soul category? Kind of interesting tidbits that you can takeaway, but no real overall theme? I don't know... I'm not sure if I would enjoy this one since I don't really run marathons anyway. Thanks for your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

What an interesting title for such a subject. I actually thought this was a children's book before reading your review. I wish it went into more detail to be able to classify itself as a self-help book.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Wait! This isn't a children's book? Until I read the summary, before noticing it's more of a self-help book. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Dolphins don't run marathons. But the other animals on the cover don't look like marathon material, either! The author has a good idea that could be developed to motivate marathon runners. Hopefully, he will heed your sage advice. Thanks for the great review.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

I marvel that the author having been a marathoner also can advise on other aspects of exercising that will free people from their present inadequacies of an exercise regime. Nice review, thanks.
CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 »

The title made me laugh, so I had to check out your review. Thanks for doing a great job laying out what to expect and what not to expect from the book. I know it's not a book that I'd be interested in reading. I think I must be a slug, because I have never experienced a "runner's high" even once in this life.
Clemens Nickleby
Favorite Book: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Currently Reading: Free Plants for Everyone
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clemens-nickleby.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Clemens Nickleby »

But do dolphins read books? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks for a great review.
Truth is stranger than Fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't. Mark Twain
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

The cover puts me in the mi d of a children's book. This is not personally something I would want to read, but congratulations on BOTD. Anything to hold my interest will have clear points being made. The book itself have to be developed in order for me to stick with it. It doesn't sound like this one will do that for me.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

From the cover, I thought at first this was a children's book. The topic doesn't interest me so I'll pass. Thanks for your review.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Thank you for pointing out the underdeveloped categorization of humans to animal traits. I was wondering how the author came up with the analogy. Most of the time, ants are metaphors for hard work, in a positive way. However, the author provided a different take on this one. Thanks for the balanced review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”