Official Review: The Divinely Sinful Saints

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: The Divinely Sinful Saints

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Divinely Sinful Saints" by Con Trong Bui.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Divinely Sinful Saints is an interesting title that captured my attention. It is authored by Con Trong Bui and consists of 399 pages with seven chapters. The book is full of scripture quotations.

The author begins by asking whether faith requires believing in falsity, referring especially to the stories in the Old Testament, and describes how the scriptures have different levels of spirituality and may be understood at literal, symbolic, and spiritual levels. He is against literal interpretation. In this book, Con Trong Bui focuses on the level just above the literal level. He writes to help those who are dissatisfied and feel deceived by preachers. However, spiritual masters like Jesus Christ and Gautama Buddha are able to tune into these all levels simultaneously thus making their teachings suitable for all types of people.

The writer explains the concept of “body” in various contexts. According to him, “The physical body of a human being evolved from the animal kingdom and is rightly called the animal coat of skin.” He states that the physical body of Jesus (which he received from Mary) is the temple for the “body of Christ.” He sees the human body as “the physical church or temple” to differentiate it from “the spiritual church or temple” which consists of members of Christ’s body. Hence, it is important to look for the intention of the scriptural authors in writing the texts. If this is not discerned, it will seem as if the Bible is illogical and has many contradictions. The book also offers a detailed understanding of the resurrection of the body.

As a theologian, what I liked most is how Con Trong Bui describes the difference between esoteric and exoteric teachings because his insight is unique. Another theme I found interesting is that darkness signifies the unknown and is not necessarily connected with evil. His interpretation of the terms “male” and female” in the book of Genesis sounds intriguing. Nevertheless, I think the author has an insufficient background of philosophy, and his understanding of “soul” is not biblical. The meaning of terms like “third heaven” will become very clear if he refers to the philosophy of science and cosmology of the times when these books were written. He refers to the King James Version of the Bible and sometimes mentions passages from a Catholic Bible without specifying the version. Good research demands reference to texts in their original languages which he has either not done or not mentioned in this book. He should have quoted from the English translations recommended by biblical scholars in the ecumenical realm.

There are original interpretations of stories in the book of Genesis by several biblical scholars and theologians. The author of The Divinely Sinful Saints also has some original insights. His ideas are interesting and would need several weeks for reflection. They may suit people who wish to grow in their spiritual/mystical lives. The average reader may not grasp them easily. He explains simple things in very complicated terms with unnecessary repetition and examples. The writer discusses them in detail several times in the chapters and then summarizes the chapters in another 80 pages! The entire book would have been pleasant to read if it had been written in 150 pages. The font makes it increasingly difficult to read and reflect.

For all the reasons stated above, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is well edited, but I found a few grammatical errors and theologically inappropriate terms. I recommend it for those who have a biblical or theological background and wish to grow spiritually. Some of the content may be controversial and needs to be read with discernment.

The Divinely Sinful Saints
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I'm intrigued by this book. I enjoy the concept of body as physical temple. The symbolic interpretation of scripture appeals to me and is how I experience religious texts. I also resonate with darkness as the unknown. As Jung believed, the shadow is just material in our subconscious that is yet unrealized by consciousness. It isn't bad or good - just unknown. I enjoyed reading your review and may get around to taking a look at this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Spiritual content is usually quite sensitive and needs to be approached with caution. I hope Con Trong Bui knows what he is talking about. Thanks for the insightful review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This is very interesting that you mention the author being against literal interpretation. I do think many people are so rigid in their beliefs because they try to apply word for word meaning to their lives. In my opinion faith should be used as a guide, not the be-all end-all.
Great review!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

While Con Trong Bui apparently has a lot of interesting ideas, I don't think that this book would be my cup of tea. But your review was excellently written. Thank you!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an interesting book, but may be a little difficult for me to understand thoroughly. Thank you for a great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not sure about this one. It almost seems like the author is combining Biblical teachings with philosophy. I could be wrong about that, and I might delve into this one further to find out. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I do read spiritual books with simple concepts to grasp. The author’s interpretations seem farfetched. Third heaven though! Thank you for this insightful review.
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

I love books that challenge my current relm of possibilities. This book does just that, the Bible says no one can begin to imagine what heaven looks like. I believe that applies to everything associated with God. So, when these types of books present far fetched ideas I listen because they may be right, or at least close to being right.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

I wonder what occasioned the book title which seems curious. The book though seems interesting because of the divergent views the author shares. Thanks for the interesting review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”