Official Review: Disorder by Johan Fundin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Disorder by Johan Fundin

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Disorder" by Johan Fundin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Disorder is a psychological techno-thriller by Johan Fundin. Cat Milton is a multi-millionaire supermodel being stalked by a strange man who visits her home during the night. She is on medication for narcolepsy, a medical condition causing her to fall asleep at odd times during the day. Cat's twin sister, Janice, is overweight and disfigured. Filled with self-loathing, Janice considers herself an ugly, unloveable monster. Beautiful London-based Cat, meanwhile, dates handsome English soccer star Roy Beckman. Cat and Janice's father, Victor, works for BioFutura Systematik, a secretive genetic research facility combining elements of natural science, medicine, computer science, and nanotechnology. When Victor Milton dies, Cat returns to her hometown of Blackfield to attend his funeral. Her dark stalker follows her, harassing her even during her train journey. Then, the day after his funeral, Cat's dead father appears to her in person, supplying her with a letter intended for one of his work colleagues. Intrigued and frightened by this development, Cat and her sister begin to investigate the circumstances surrounding BioFutura's research and their father's death. However, there are several other parties involved, too. The stakes are high, and the science involved is mind-bending...

Fundin's writing was excellent right from the start of the book. His smooth and concise style made this book a pleasure to read, featuring neat descriptive sentences perfect for the thriller genre. His economical descriptions of new characters included the following: “The male visitor was bald. Grey-brown eyes. Blunt nose. Apple-shaped cheeks. Broad shoulders.” For another character, he wrote: “The visitor’s pinewood-blond hair was trimmed like a golf green. Lips as thin as rubber bands. The smile as sharp as a paper-cutting blade.” A pleasure to read, such writing also clearly defined the characters with their own distinct looks and personalities. The misguided antagonists and the outright psychopaths were beautifully realised; each had their own unique inner monologue and bizarre eccentricities.

The solid character development did not come at the cost of suspense or advancement of the plot, however. The story always moved forward, with occasional past events included to further define certain characters. These flashbacks were interesting and dramatic, lacking nothing in entertainment value. The editing of Disorder was exceptionally good; I found just one typographical error in the entire book. Overall, I felt there were definite similarities in subject matter between Fundin and bestselling thriller writer Dean Koontz, especially the use of advanced science that seemed to border on the supernatural. However, a refreshing difference between the two was Fundin's economy with words and shorter descriptive sentences. As much as I enjoy Koontz, I find some of his “flowery” descriptive writing and long sentences exhausting, and sometimes wish he would just tell the story more simply like Stephen King; or, in this case, like Johan Fundin.

My only negative point about this book concerns the dialogue, which I occasionally found a little wordy, perhaps a sentence or two longer than necessary. However, one could argue that, usually, this suited the sociable, chatty women of the book, so it wasn't really much of a problem. The only time it really annoyed me was during a precarious moment with one character in a life-or-death situation, where another character could have saved them immediately but instead chose to talk longer than necessary, asking too many questions about their predicament.

Overall, I found Disorder a brilliant techno-thriller, full of suspense, with rich and detailed characters. Beautifully edited and boasting an amazing level of realistic-sounding scientific detail, this book fully deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Fans of crime, medical, and supernatural thrillers should all enjoy this book, particularly those who like the more science-oriented works of Dean Koontz. With this book, Johan Fundin has established himself as a definite talent to watch in the thriller genre.

Disorder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

I like the 'twin part' it seems cute, and the genre is very intriguing..this is a smart made story..
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite interesting. I like the contrast between the two sisters and would love to see how that comes into play more. Thanks again for another lovely review. I'll look into this one further.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Your review definitely makes me want to read this book! The author's unique way of describing characters appearances leads me to believe that connecting to this story will be very easy!
Well-written review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Interesting contrast between the two sisters and their relationship! The addition of the stalker heightens the suspense. Your comment about the lengthy conversation in the life-and-death situation made me laugh!! Great observation. Thanks for this interesting and enjoyable review.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

Very intriguing and unique book. I love this genre, and this one seems to be particularly well written from your review. I will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and your excellent review:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

As a big fan of Stephen King and the thriller genre, this book definitely piques my interest. I like how you included pieces of Fundin's writing within your review--it really helped me to get a better idea of how the book itself would sound if I read it. Like you, I also prefer a simpler, to-the-point style of writing as opposed to a wordy and flowery one. Great review! Thanks!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

imSunshine wrote: 07 May 2019, 07:11 I like the 'twin part' it seems cute, and the genre is very intriguing..this is a smart made story..
Absolutely, a very intelligent story with plenty of interesting science. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 May 2019, 08:03 This sounds quite interesting. I like the contrast between the two sisters and would love to see how that comes into play more. Thanks again for another lovely review. I'll look into this one further.
The two sisters definitely had their ups and downs - Janice couldn't help being jealous of Cat with her beauty and huge supermodel income. Thanks for your comments.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 07 May 2019, 08:27 Your review definitely makes me want to read this book! The author's unique way of describing characters appearances leads me to believe that connecting to this story will be very easy!
Well-written review!
Thanks! This is definitely one of the top 5 books I have reviewed for Online Book Club so far. Brilliantly written with a solid knowledge of his characters and plenty of attention to detail.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kdstrack wrote: 07 May 2019, 11:30 Interesting contrast between the two sisters and their relationship! The addition of the stalker heightens the suspense. Your comment about the lengthy conversation in the life-and-death situation made me laugh!! Great observation. Thanks for this interesting and enjoyable review.
Yeah, it's fair to say I'm a big fan of realism in the human interactions in any thriller. Having a bit of a chat while someone you care about is in danger of imminent death isn't at all realistic! Having said that, everything else about this book is top notch. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Meg98 wrote: 07 May 2019, 21:40 Very intriguing and unique book. I love this genre, and this one seems to be particularly well written from your review. I will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and your excellent review:)
Thanks! Definitely one of the best thrillers I've reviewed. Fantastic read.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Rachel Lea wrote: 08 May 2019, 14:40 As a big fan of Stephen King and the thriller genre, this book definitely piques my interest. I like how you included pieces of Fundin's writing within your review--it really helped me to get a better idea of how the book itself would sound if I read it. Like you, I also prefer a simpler, to-the-point style of writing as opposed to a wordy and flowery one. Great review! Thanks!

Stephen King has been my favourite author for a very long time. The combination of Dean Koontz-style science with King's simpler storytelling style made this an absolute winner for me. Thanks for your comments!
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

Interestingly, as I started to read your review I immediately thought of my obsession with Dean Koontz novels. What a coincidence that you make that comparison for this novel, which sounds like it's a perfect fit for me! Excellent review, thank you. This goes onto my list right this minute. 😀
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”