Official Review: The Rage by Lassiter Williams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: The Rage by Lassiter Williams

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Rage" by Lassiter Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Rage by Lassiter Williams is a young adult novel that tells a historical fiction story about a girl named Trib. The story is set in the jungles of the New World. Trib belongs to a cultish tribe where women are superior to men. They are warrior-like people who are known for using a special ability called ‘The Rage’. Trib’s tribe is constantly at war with the Puritanics who are men. After a surprise attack on her tribe, she pursues them for days despite exhaustion and her injuries. Trib ends up saving a boy named Peyewik from being drowned by a Puritanic. She is taken to the boy’s village to recuperate. Trib soon learns that Peyewik is a seer and his people are Natives. Soon, Trib begins to see the world from a new perspective as she spends more time with Peyewik and a handsome storyteller named Kwineechka. Trib learns of the Natives’ plight and how they are affected by the war between the Puritanics and her own people. She also discovers harsh truths about herself, her own tribe, and her family.

A delightful mix of adventure, self-discovery, and blossoming romance await readers of The Rage. I appreciated the multiple perspectives from which the book was written. Due to this, I felt like I personally knew each of the main characters because of their backstories, thoughts, and feelings. Additionally, Trib, Peyewik, and Kwineechka were all written quite realistically. They each had distinct traits and personalities. They also had to overcome individual struggles. This made them very relatable. This is what I liked the most about the book.

Another thing I liked was the multitude of different cultural elements that were portrayed. Traditional clothing, lifestyles, family life, beliefs, food, religions, and customs differed between the Natives and Trib’s people. Their mystical abilities also varied. However, the story linked all of the groups together through spirituality. There was a wonderful harmony that brought all of the cultural elements together.

Although it was not a huge part of the storyline, I liked how the romance was depicted in this book. It was tastefully written for a young audience without crude scenarios. The initial angst between Trib and her crush was entertaining and I found myself rooting for them until the end. However, their romance was not straightforward and sappy. Instead, it was complicated with an outrageous ending. This aspect of the story kept me interested throughout the book.

I can confidently state that The Rage was professionally edited because I only came across one minor error. There was nothing that dampened my reading experience of this novel. Its relatable characters, cultural elements, and intriguing romance make this book deserving of a perfect rating: 4 out of 4 stars! I would recommend this book to older teens and young adults who enjoy reading historical fiction with a fantasy twist. Readers with an interest in Native American culture may also enjoy this novel. This story will not appeal to those who don’t like reading about history, adventure, or different cultures.

The Rage
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I like that the reader was given the perspective of various characters. I think it's also neat that the author explored many cultures. Sounds like an action-packed book! Great review!
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

Its good to know that the story linked all of the groups together through spirituallity. One would want to read the book to the end so as to find out how they ended. Its a good review.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I love stories where the author creates a detailed, immersive new world for the reader to experience. The plot of The Rage sounds interesting. I like the Native American-inspired elements that are included. Great review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

A book with realistic, well developed characters is such a treat! I have a great interest toward Native American culture and would gladly check this book out :) Excellent review as always!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm a bit curious as to what the Rage is and how they use it. It sounds like a very interesting story; the author has built this world quite well. Thanks so much for telling us about this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Ellylion wrote: 14 May 2019, 08:30 A book with realistic, well developed characters is such a treat! I have a great interest toward Native American culture and would gladly check this book out :) Excellent review as always!
Thanks Ellylion!
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

A tribe of women superior to men, sound like a delightful change! And I too am curious as to what that is rage power is. I hope that Trib discovering that not all men are horrible does not change the strong women she is.
Guess I have to read this and find out, thank you!
amjohnson13
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I like that this book seems realistic with well a developed characters. Although I'm not a big fan of romance, I like how the author managed to include it in this story.

Nice review!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

Ah, I liked the romance part of the story as you mentioned in your review. Thank you for your detailed review.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Well, this one is unique. Different cultures are a recipe for excitement. One gets to learn new stuff and be amazed by the diversity of our societies. Good job on the review!
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

This seems like a great book with an interesting plot and well - written characters. I like that the author incorporates culturular elements.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Okay. You got me. This sounds really interesting and the world-building seems well thought out in terms of Trib and the others' various tribes and societies. I'd really like to check it out.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

I like the element of adventure and spirituality all blended together. The concept of a society where women are superior to men is also an innovative one. Thanks for a wonderful review.
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

Good to hear that the characters and storyline are well developed, with an interesting and innocent-enough romantic angle. Just the formula for a young adult novel. 🙂
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”