Official Review: EN by Michelle Reynoso

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Official Review: EN by Michelle Reynoso

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "EN" by Michelle Reynoso.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes even a proverb like ‘the shoe wearer knows best where the shoe pinches,’ does not pack enough punch to explain a situation. Take grieving for example. What is the acceptable period of time for someone to wallow in misery? Herein lies the backdrop against which Michelle Reynoso weaves her captivating plot in EN. Let’s just say Faith McDaniels still wants to continue being angry at no one and everyone, for the loss of her mum, who also was her sole parent. Her brother, however, wants her to snap out of it already. After all, the late was his mother too, wasn’t she?

EN, short for energy (a realm our heroine will learn to operate in), is a compelling coming-of-age fantasy thriller. Seventeen-year-old Faith is forced to relocate and live with her brother, upon the demise of her mother. In her new school, she becomes a target for pranksters and bullies. At home, her brother is at a loss on how to handle her. Oh heck, she is at a loss on how to handle herself! Imagine her disbelief when she discovers there exists a parallel world – Enlitra, and she is the last hope for saving both this Enlitra and the planet earth, from imminent doom. Will she stop moping and up her game? Can she face-off with the terrifying evil power that will stop at nothing to ‘possess’ her? What happens when her brother and friends get caught up in this epic war?

EN captured my total attention, from the moment I opened the first page. I finished it in one seating because there was always one thing leading to another, and to yet another! The book was fun and unpredictable with a few twists thrown in, for good measure. There were times I wanted to hug Faith and let her cry on my shoulders, yet at other times I got a tad impatient with her! All in all, she was a wonderful teenage-heroine!

I must admit that Reynoso knows how to spin her yarn. She will fizzle out your built-up anxiety, only to strike when you least expect – though not in a spookily chilling manner! The plot is narrated in the first person, using Faith’s point of view. This acquaints the reader with Faith’s inner struggles and worldview. She is witty and spunky. see how she described her brother after he thought he caught her doing something wrong:
He’s got that look in his eyes, probably the same look given to accused witches at the Salem Witch Trials
I enjoyed the quick plot development. In addition to the mourning-period theme, the author provoked my thoughts on cultural ironies. She kept talking of someone ‘shaking his/her head, yes.’ Where I come from, shaking one’s head is an automatic no. However, there are cultures where it is a resounding yes! Ironically, Reynoso doesn’t seem to come from any such cultural backgrounds. Maybe her reasoning could be that a nod still is a shaking of the head, albeit, in a different direction. She is not wrong, really!

That being said, I encountered a few things that were not adequately knit into the story, and they left me with a ‘what-was-that-about?’ feeling. An example is a particular yellow powder at some point. Furthermore, there was very little character development. I know in many school-based stories, all kids usually collectively lumped together, with only the bully and probably the prankster, standing out. The problem with EN is that there is no depth to all the characters. Even Faith’s background isn’t fully revealed by the time the book ends. Finally, there also were many minor grammatical errors, which, fortunately, didn’t interfere with the flow of the story. These issues make me give the EN a 3 out of 4 stars rating. Another round of editing could make it perfect.

I believe young adults and older teens will love the high school antics, jerk-of-a –boyfriend misery, and the first-kiss thrills. I recommend this book to them, and everyone else interested in a fast-paced, casual, and paranormal read. I know I did, and will look out for the sequel!

EN
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cotwani's review? Post a comment saying so!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Shaking your head yes is definitely a bit odd!
you learn something new every day :)
Great review, Cotwani!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Bianka Walter wrote: 13 May 2019, 05:19 Shaking your head yes is definitely a bit odd!
you learn something new every day :)
Great review, Cotwani!
I shake my head a big yes to that! Actually, it would confuse me for a second when she forgot to say yes, and just say a character shook their head, then whatever followed was contrary to my shake of head!!!

Thanks, Bianka for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I think that the plotholes in this book and the lack of good character development would dissuade me from picking it up and giving it a go, but your review was quite entertaining! I especially liked where you included the part about "shaking your head yes." :shock: I wonder where the author got that from?

Thanks so much! :)
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love a good young adult read, and this one sounds quite intriguing. Everyone handles grief differently, so I don't think there is an acceptable time for everyone. Perhaps this would make an entertaining read while teaching something at the same time? I'll look into it more. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I am now scratching my head at this shaking of the head! It is too bad about the grammar, but all in all, sounds like a pretty good book. What is not to like about a story with parallel worlds? Great review!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I have many a favorite book in the YA fiction genre, and your review makes me want to check out this book, what with its page-turning plot and thought-provoking situations. I might be able to overlook the errors in this case. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Storyline is intriguing with a child mourning the death of her only parent and her angst against the world. While this is serious, having to save Earth and another parallel world suits the young readers due to it's fantasy nature. Lack of character development may not be problem for young readers as their interest mostly lies with action. So, thanks for the thoughtful review.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

The parallel world of Enlitra sounds fascinating. From your review, I can see why you enjoyed the book so (in spite of the errors) and look forward to the next installment. Thank you for a most enjoyable review!
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Wow! You have a way with words. I could almost see the characters myself while reading this. Great job!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Great review! It seems like this is an entertaining read.
I've encountered the shaking the head yes thing before, and it through me off too.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

I just hope Faith just what it takes to overcome the pain of losing her mum. Thanks for the captivating review
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Oh shame poor Faith. Losing a parent is not the nicest thing on earth. And given a huge responsibility like saving the planet Earth while mourning the death of your mother is another story.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Rachel Lea wrote: 13 May 2019, 08:32 I think that the plotholes in this book and the lack of good character development would dissuade me from picking it up and giving it a go, but your review was quite entertaining! I especially liked where you included the part about "shaking your head yes." :shock: I wonder where the author got that from?

Thanks so much! :)
It's a very fast plot-drive and you don't really have time to be unhappy about the 'hole!' You can say that again.....that shaking of one's head yes constantly had me shaking mine in initial confusion, especially when yes was not included in the sentence!

Thanks for your kind words, and for reading and giving feedback!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 May 2019, 10:40 I love a good young adult read, and this one sounds quite intriguing. Everyone handles grief differently, so I don't think there is an acceptable time for everyone. Perhaps this would make an entertaining read while teaching something at the same time? I'll look into it more. Thanks.
Entertaining it is, the teaching part not so pronounced. Hope you get to read it. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.
-Walt Disney

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”