Official Review: Chasing The Orchid by Michael Benson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Chasing The Orchid by Michael Benson

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chasing The Orchid" by Michael Benson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Chasing the Orchid by Michael Benson, Chris Bachman seems to have it all--a loving wife, a loyal best friend/business partner, and a successful company. After he learns that his wife, Tory, has been dealing with racial prejudice in the small Mississippi town where they reside, Chris makes a difficult choice and sells his business. They move to Los Angeles to begin a new life together and fulfill Tory's dream of owning a high-end martini bar. Despite Chris's reservations about their new location and business, he is committed to making his wife happy until traumatic memories from his childhood begin to haunt him. He becomes sleep-deprived due to his persistent nightmares, and things quickly spiral out of control. Chris begins to question the people closest to him and doubts his own sanity, but is there something more sinister at work?

The author seamlessly weaves a multilayered suspense supported by well-developed characters. By the time Chris begins to unravel, he is already established as a flawed, but loving and supportive husband. Tory is presented as a strong female lead, and I applaud the author's emphasis on her character strengths rather than her physical appearance. The bigotry she contends with adds another dimension to the story. Chris's buddy, Glenn, is a philanderer who drinks too much but reveals hidden depth as the story progresses.

It may sound cliché, but I most liked the nonstop twists and turns in this psychological thriller; from beginning to end, I found it hard to put the book down. The suspenseful plot provides just enough clues from the past while propelling ahead with the unexpected to keep readers glued to the story. What more can one ask from 257 pages?

On the other hand, at the risk of sounding biased, I must be honest and confess my only dislike is the author's spelling of a character who shares my name. Secilia Applegate is a supporting character with a significant role, one which I won't reveal. I have never seen the alternative spelling but did find other examples online. I realize name spellings are a personal preference; this one will likely go unnoticed by most readers, with the exception perhaps, of other namesakes. Nonetheless, it is a small blip in a thrilling story which didn't detract from my overall reading pleasure.

I'm pleased to rate this page-turner 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to fans of psychological thrillers. Due to the intensity of the plot and the use of profanity, I would not recommend it to young readers.

Chasing The Orchid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Secilia is a very interesting way of spelling it! I still prefer yours.
And this coming from someone with a wonky spelling :)
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote: 13 May 2019, 05:05 Secilia is a very interesting way of spelling it! I still prefer yours.
And this coming from someone with a wonky spelling :)
Great review!
Bianka, your "wonky" spelling comment made me smile. My name is frequently misspelled with an "e" in place of the first "i," but I had never seen the "S" alternative. Thanks for your comment.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

This thriller appears to live up to the genre. I wonder about what traumatic childhood experiences Chris is facing. Thanks for a fascinating review.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Chasing the Orchid sounds like a highly entertaining book with a tightly constructed plot and great characters. I like that you said the author focuses more on Tory's character strengths than on her appearance. (Also, I agree with you that "Secilia" is a rather odd spelling!) Great review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 13 May 2019, 06:58 This thriller appears to live up to the genre. I wonder about what traumatic childhood experiences Chris is facing. Thanks for a fascinating review.
You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Rachel Lea wrote: 13 May 2019, 08:01 Chasing the Orchid sounds like a highly entertaining book with a tightly constructed plot and great characters. I like that you said the author focuses more on Tory's character strengths than on her appearance. (Also, I agree with you that "Secilia" is a rather odd spelling!) Great review!
Thank you, Rachel. I appreciate your comment.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Chris has jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. I am intrigued as to what is causing his nightmares? I am also wondering how the cover relates to the story?? You write an intriguing review of this book. Thanks.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Every once in a while, I do like to engage in a well-written psychological thriller. This sounds like it fits the bill, especially with the twists and turns. I really want to know what happens. Therefore, I think I'm going to have to pick up this book. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I love books that do the unexpected and give me twists that leave me shaking my head. I will add this one to my read list!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 13 May 2019, 10:06 Chris has jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. I am intrigued as to what is causing his nightmares? I am also wondering how the cover relates to the story?? You write an intriguing review of this book. Thanks.
I should have mentioned that despite the many twists and turns, the author does answer all of the questions in the conclusion. :techie-studyingbrown:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 May 2019, 12:41 Every once in a while, I do like to engage in a well-written psychological thriller. This sounds like it fits the bill, especially with the twists and turns. I really want to know what happens. Therefore, I think I'm going to have to pick up this book. Thanks!
What I love most about this type of thriller is the element of surprise--just when you think you've figured it out, it takes a different direction! You're welcome. Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Letora wrote: 13 May 2019, 17:04 I love books that do the unexpected and give me twists that leave me shaking my head. I will add this one to my read list!
This one does it! Enjoy!
NIRUPAMA JHA
Currently Reading: McCoy before the fued
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nirupama-jha.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by NIRUPAMA JHA »

The review is quite alluring i must compliment.The way you have led down every detail of this book is really good. In addition, the book seems interesting. Great review :) :)
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

I love the psychological thriller genre, and this one drew me in with both title and book cover. It sounds like a must-read. My only concern would be that it's too short! 😁 Thanks for your impressive review.
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”