Official Review: Green Asylum

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Official Review: Green Asylum

Post by SpencerVo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Green Asylum" by J.E.Kross & Alan Boetticher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fictional criminals kill for various reasons. Some put their nemeses through excruciating pain for vengeance. Others take morbid delight in the suffering of innocent victims to satisfy their own lust and sadism. Nevertheless, Miss Mary Colburn of Green Asylum kills for a sickly and humorous purpose. This novel will take you on an engaging journey through which you will experience complicated emotions: anger, sadness, giddiness, fascination, disgust, and satisfaction.

As a child, Doctor John Rothsford used to be severely beaten and burnt by his alcoholic father. He yearned to escape from that abusive home and all the painful memories. Fortunately, he has found success as a renowned clinical hypnotist to help people in trouble. One day, he encounters one of his colleague’s patients, a little girl named Mary Colburn. Mary is said to display “troubling behavior,” but there is some proof that she is being abused at home. Reminded of his own helpless childhood, John decides to intervene. Using a self-invented technique, he helps her get rid of her anguish in the most shocking way imaginable, all without her conscious acknowledgment.

Years later, Mary is now a reclusive and anxious 21-year-old girl. She spends most of her time with her cat and the lonely widow next door. On her birthday, when Mary finds a leaflet with Doctor John’s name and phone number on it, a wave of inexplicable familiarity and nostalgia hits her. Subsequently, she decides to visit him. Unfortunately, this visitation is the starting point of a series of nauseating deaths.

Green Asylum continuously draws parallels to classic horror figures, such as Frankenstein, werewolves, and vampires. Doctor John, blinded by sentiment, accidentally creates a monster and has to live with the guilt forever. However, the cream of the story is obviously Mary, who is an outstanding antagonist (or protagonist, depending on your viewpoint). I have difficulty selecting words to describe her. Imagine a timid and guilt-ridden introvert who suddenly loses all her humanity. She is girly, naïve, confident, and attractive, but once she feels that her “candies” are being taken away, prepare yourself for the horrendous murder shows. The book juggles between Doctor John’s remorse and Mary’s wickedness seamlessly.

The novel has a focused and captivating plot. The authors, J.E. Kross and Alan Boetticher, know how to create tension and capture the audience’s attention by the straightforward storytelling, strategic suspense, and interesting characterization. They also use staples of the crime genre: an unapologetic psychopath, the precarious side of hypnotism, and of course, gruesome murders. The story has a penchant for subtle twists. Rather than opting for in-your-face turns of events, it drops hints and implications in an understated yet effective way. The ending is excellent; I did not know exactly what to expect, and I was treated with a clever finale.

On the downside, although the book is highly entertaining, it lacks certain depth to be perfectly memorable. Somehow, as horrifying as the murders are, the plot still appears to be “safe” and remains in the comfort zone. Some conflicts and confrontations are resolved too fast since they could have been drawn out longer for suspension’s sake. Detective Rick Farrenger is fairly overlooked. Mary never encounters extreme hardships or true threats, so her “journey” seems too easy and effortless.

Green Asylum is professionally edited. Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to loyal fans of crime fiction and anyone with an interest in hypnotism or the psychology of a psychopath. You should beware of some disgusting scenes that can wear out a faint heart. Also, the book occasionally uses heavy profanities.

Green Asylum
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SpencerVo's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The plot of this book seems interesting. Although I love crime fictions, I don't appreciate hypnotism. I guess I'll pass on this one but I have some friends I can recommend it to. Thanks for the review!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

This book is terrifyingly interesting. Your review of this book, screams tell me more. Yet, I don't have the heart to read such graphic and herrendeous murder.

Great review.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

The plot to this book sounds unique. I like the parallel you drew to Frankenstein. I think this book is a bit more graphic than what I typically read, so I'll pass on it. Thanks for an excellent review.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

I can comfortably say am a loyal fan of mystery and satire. I can already feel the excitement and anticipation. Thank you for your well-done review.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

The premise of this novel sounds fascinating. I love stories that really dig into characters' psychology. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Your reviee is wonderful and beautifully written. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of a crime fiction. I'll pass.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Wonderful review for a horrifying book! This sounds too scary for me (I am a bit of a wimp) and I think I will pass. The Hypnotist aspect of the story is interesting.
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

I always wonder why someone would commit murder. This is a wonderful review. Would like to read the book for more
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

You sold the book so well in the first few paragraphs, I think I'll have to read it even though it lacks, as you say, a certain depth. Wonderful review!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

This sounds like it could have quite a complicated plot. I'm not sure I would be able to keep everything straight, but it does seem like an interesting read!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Oh my! This is not a preferred genre for me, but you have made this book sound extremely interesting. And the cover looks so innocent!! Great review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This book, other than the too-rapidly-resolved issues, sounds SO intriguing, but I am WAY too sensitive a reader for stuff like this. I really enjoyed your review though. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

This sounds like an awesome book! Mary sounds like she may have multiple personalities and I have not read or watched a good MPD story ( Multiple Personality Disorder) in a long time. I am sure I would enjoy Green Asylum.
Thank you for the wonderfully interesting review.
amjohnson13
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even though the resolutions aren't drawn out enough, it sounds like a captivating book. I'm curious where these deaths are coming from and how that has to do with Dr. John and Mary. What did he do to her? I'll have to look into this one further, though I don't usually read books in the horror genre. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”