Official Review: Taking the Time by Kevin Thompson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Taking the Time by Kevin Thompson

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Taking the Time" by Kevin Thompson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Taking the Time: Experiments in Kindness by Kevin Thompson is a collection of uplifting reflections to encourage readers to notice the grace and goodness in everyday life. With humor and intentionality, Thompson shares his thoughts, memories, and observations as well as some of the simple ways he practices kindness. The book contains over 50 brief chapters and traverses themes such as peace, faith, grace, gratitude, kindness, goodness, compassion, aging, spirituality, forgiveness, and love.

Thompson’s writing style is relaxed and conversational. As the subtitle suggests, he shares examples of ways to practice everyday kindness, but rather than experiments, the chapters are mostly comprised of his musings and memories. Thompson's reflections are spiritual rather than religious, and he alternately references God, the Divine, the Creator, and the Universe. Likewise, he mentions Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Kabbalah. The short chapters are contemplative in nature; they are not chronological and can be read in any order.

I most like Thompson’s creative use of imagery throughout the book. While it's fairly common for an author to use imagery to create picturesque scenery in the reader's mind, Thompson evokes an emotional response with some of his gems. "Love is this. It is not content with a side hug. It wants a 'seeing a grandparent for the first time in a while' hug." My only grandchild lives in a different state, and I can relate. On a few visits, my grandson's first-time hugs have literally almost knocked me off my feet--Thompson nails it. I also appreciate the information he shares at the end of the book regarding the small company he and his son, Carter, have created to help the homeless. I admire that he is putting actions to his words and by doing so, setting an example for his son.

The only thing I dislike about the book is Thompson's habit of contradicting himself. To be fair, he does acknowledge this tendency in the introduction. "Some ideas may contradict each other. Some ideas, even still, might be directly opposed to what I claim to believe. This is alright with me." He shares his thoughts on a range of topics, and I find I don't necessarily need to agree with his opinions in one reading to enjoy another. However, while I appreciate Thompson's disclaimer to forewarn readers, his contradictions to his own statements become somewhat distracting.

Additionally, Thompson's tendency to incorrectly capitalize words and write incomplete sentences is problematic, and the number of errors prevents a perfect rating. Therefore, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy spiritual reflections with a hint of humor. Due to Thompson's inclusivity, the book will appeal to readers of various faiths. However, I would not recommend it to readers with black-and-white views pertaining to religion.

Taking the Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

Very nice review! Sounds like an interesting read. I appreciate your take on the imagery he used, and his writing style. Both very important in a good book in my opinion... thanks for sharing your thoughts! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I liked the sound of this book after reading your review, so I went to Amazon and read the sample. As you say, the writer has a very conversational style which makes his book a gentle reading experience. I don't like 'preachy' books, but this one doesn't seem to be like that at all. Shame about the errors, which could be picked out and corrected very easily. Thanks for a great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I like that this book is suitable for all faith. It is hard to find a book of this subject matter that is fully inclusive.
Well written review!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I especially liked where you included the quote from Thompson, "Love is this. It is not content with a side hug. It wants a 'seeing a grandparent for the first time in a while' hug." What sweet imagery. And I love how you then added an example from your own life and how you can relate to Thompson's sentiment.

I think that the author's tendency to contradict himself and the numerous grammar issues would bother me, as well, but overall, Taking the Time sounds like a lovely book. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Kindness - such a simple act yet so easily overlooked. This book is motivational just with its title. Your description of the poems makes it sound like an uplifting read. Thanks for the great recommendation.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

In the wicked world of today, a little act of kindness shown by anyone should be appreciated. With a book as this, talking about themes such as peace, faith, love etc., I think everyone should read it. Thanks for introducing this to us.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Meg98 wrote: 11 May 2019, 22:42 Very nice review! Sounds like an interesting read. I appreciate your take on the imagery he used, and his writing style. Both very important in a good book in my opinion... thanks for sharing your thoughts! Cheers:)
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 12 May 2019, 05:38 I liked the sound of this book after reading your review, so I went to Amazon and read the sample. As you say, the writer has a very conversational style which makes his book a gentle reading experience. I don't like 'preachy' books, but this one doesn't seem to be like that at all. Shame about the errors, which could be picked out and corrected very easily. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you, Brendan.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 12 May 2019, 06:56 I like that this book is suitable for all faith. It is hard to find a book of this subject matter that is fully inclusive.
Well written review!
Thank you, Stephanie. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Rachel Lea wrote: 12 May 2019, 07:47 I especially liked where you included the quote from Thompson, "Love is this. It is not content with a side hug. It wants a 'seeing a grandparent for the first time in a while' hug." What sweet imagery. And I love how you then added an example from your own life and how you can relate to Thompson's sentiment.

I think that the author's tendency to contradict himself and the numerous grammar issues would bother me, as well, but overall, Taking the Time sounds like a lovely book. Thanks for your review!
Thank you, Rachel.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 12 May 2019, 08:19 Kindness - such a simple act yet so easily overlooked. This book is motivational just with its title. Your description of the poems makes it sound like an uplifting read. Thanks for the great recommendation.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

T_stone wrote: 12 May 2019, 11:12 In the wicked world of today, a little act of kindness shown by anyone should be appreciated. With a book as this, talking about themes such as peace, faith, love etc., I think everyone should read it. Thanks for introducing this to us.
I agree. Thanks for your comment.
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

I took the opportunity to sample this book. I have to agree with you. The writing style of the author is mesmerizing. I enjoyed your review, it confirmed that the book would be worth a second look.

Great review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Quickstudy wrote: 12 May 2019, 14:36 I took the opportunity to sample this book. I have to agree with you. The writing style of the author is mesmerizing. I enjoyed your review, it confirmed that the book would be worth a second look.

Great review.
Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”