Review by Janelle Juncos -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by Janelle Juncos -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Janelle Juncos »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Island Games by Caleb Boyer follows the plight of Matthew and Ryan when they find themselves in a mysterious game of survival. The teens awaken on the shore of a deserted island with little memory of their life before, and they must rely on their enduring friendship to sustain them through the tests and tasks ahead.

The book's plot has elements reminiscent of Indiana Jones and Hunger Games. It features battles with hybrid creatures, elaborate traps, and life-threatening weather conditions. As the teens travel around the island, they try to stay alive long enough to discover who (or what) is carefully orchestrating their adventure.

Conceptually, the novel is solid. A mysterious element lurks in the corners of the action-packed chapters, and it keeps the reader moving forward. There's rarely a dull moment, and nearly every page presents a new challenge for the pair in (sometimes) unexpected ways. The vocabulary is simple, and the book is short making it ideal for escapist readers. The dialogue is humorous at times, and the text seems to be professionally edited.

While I did find the direction of the plot interesting, the author failed to flesh it out in many ways. The pacing leaves little room for descriptions and character development, and I couldn't envision the island. I wish the author had included some sensory details. Crucial details are missing altogether in places, like how many beasts the boys are fighting at a time. Why, if they've lost most of their memories, are they so confident of their friendship, and how does a complete memory loss even function in progressing the plot? Because the text lacks descriptions, the happenings are told mostly through dialogue, making many interactions unnatural. The basic outline of a plot is there but it fizzles out at the end in what's painted as a philosophical choice but reads as indecisive writing. There is one surprising plot twist, but the same idea is repeated multiple times and becomes predictable.

I must consider that Boyer was 12 when he wrote the story. While his writing could be more concise and descriptive, his best writing at 12 is better than most at 18. For this reason, I rate Island Games a 3 out of 4, with its action and uniqueness increasing the rating and the questionable execution decreasing it. I'd recommend it to middle schoolers who enjoy action scenes that aren't too gratuitous. If you like mysteries, you'll likely be disappointed in the ending.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Janelle Juncos's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I thought this was a great book for the age group. Young boys will love the action and adventure it includes. It was definitely a good book, especially for a writer who was only 12. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I like descriptive books, but I also like books that have a lot of action. Therefore, I am torn. This definitely seems like a good first endeavor on the part of the young author. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

It seems there are much action packed as the teens battle with the hybrid creatures. This sounds like the young author has done a great job. Thank you for this wonderful review!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

When I was 12 I could probably write a semi-decent page of words. Not necessarily legible ones, but, you know, high five, me.
This is quite amazing.

I really enjoyed your review - thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I believe young readers will find this book interesting. Considering the writer's age when he wrote this piece, he did really well. Thanks for the introduction to this book
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Janelle Juncos
Currently Reading:

Post by Janelle Juncos »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 May 2019, 12:11 I thought this was a great book for the age group. Young boys will love the action and adventure it includes. It was definitely a good book, especially for a writer who was only 12. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
And thanks for sharing yours 😁
Janelle Juncos
Currently Reading:

Post by Janelle Juncos »

Prisallen wrote: 10 May 2019, 14:27 I like descriptive books, but I also like books that have a lot of action. Therefore, I am torn. This definitely seems like a good first endeavor on the part of the young author. Thank you for a wonderful review!
My pleasure! Thanks for stopping by!
Janelle Juncos
Currently Reading:

Post by Janelle Juncos »

T_stone wrote: 11 May 2019, 07:24 I believe young readers will find this book interesting. Considering the writer's age when he wrote this piece, he did really well. Thanks for the introduction to this book
Yep! Thanks for the comment.
Janelle Juncos
Currently Reading:

Post by Janelle Juncos »

Bianka Walter wrote: 11 May 2019, 04:24 When I was 12 I could probably write a semi-decent page of words. Not necessarily legible ones, but, you know, high five, me.
This is quite amazing.

I really enjoyed your review - thanks!
I think I wrote a lot of terrible poetry at age 12. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate you!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I read this one and was also disappointed in the ending. I understood why the twelve-year-old author chose to end it that way, but I wanted to know more. Thank you for a very engaging review! Another great job, Janelle!
Janelle Juncos
Currently Reading:

Post by Janelle Juncos »

Bluebird03 wrote: 12 May 2019, 08:48 I read this one and was also disappointed in the ending. I understood why the twelve-year-old author chose to end it that way, but I wanted to know more. Thank you for a very engaging review! Another great job, Janelle!
Thanks, bluebird! You're my book buddy!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I like your comparison to Indiana Jones and the Hunger Games.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Great review! It's always impressive to hear when an author is able to get published so young. Sounds like he has great potential, and hopefully his next book will focus a little more on descriptions and character development.
Janelle Juncos
Currently Reading:

Post by Janelle Juncos »

CommMayo wrote: 12 May 2019, 20:49 I like your comparison to Indiana Jones and the Hunger Games.
Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”