Official Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wellness Toolbox" by Don Roberts.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a time when there is no shortage of recommendations on fitness and nutrition steps to take to attain good health, it is very easy to get confused by the pool of information out there. This begs the question of which information to adhere to and which information to ignore. This is the problem that Don Roberts tackles head-on in Wellness Toolbox: Debunking Myths About Fitness and Nutrition to Provide All the Tools You Need for a Healthier and Happier Life. Analyzing a host of popular fitness and nutrition beliefs, the author, in this well-researched book, classifies them into "Facts" and "Myths."

Roberts includes his personal stories detailing how he discovered the effects of some approaches to fitness and nutrition that he applies today. Adding personal stories in books like this is always an important feature for me, as it makes the book more relatable. The author's 27 years of experience as a fitness and nutrition coach, along with the numerous success stories included in the book, is bound to have a positive effect on the confidence of readers in his methods. Even though the author delivers his message in a confident and serious tone for most of the book, I enjoyed that he included humor in the form of funny illustrations. This will help lighten the mood as some readers may feel disappointed when they discover that many of their health practices over the years are wrong.

Furthermore, the author's in-depth analysis of every fact and myth discussed was one of my favorite features of the book. He left no room for unanswered questions by explaining different exercise procedures and healthy foods and their proportions in detail. Roberts use of a simple language, avoiding technical terms, and fully explaining abbreviations like PFM (pelvic floor muscles), HIIT (High-intensity interval training), and EPOC (excess post oxygen consumption) will also help readers follow the book easily.

In addition, the author lists several reference books for readers to source for additional information. The author also maintains that readers should always consult professional fitness and nutrition coaches to guide them in employing these methods. There wasn't much to dislike about this book. While I noticed about four errors throughout the book, they were all minor errors and didn't disrupt the flow of my reading. I also think that the author should have considered including illustrations showing how various exercising techniques, like pistol squats, landmine twists, and box jumps, are carried out.

Overall, Wellness Toolbox was a fun, educational, and inspirational read for me. The author expertly combined the features I expect from a good health book and included motivational quotes at the end of each chapter. I also learned quite a lot, especially on the outdated use of the body mass index (BMI), the improper use of calcium supplements, fluoride, and soy, and the "SMART" method as a strategy for achieving fitness goals. I'm sure other readers will learn a lot from this book as well.

I strongly believe that this book merits a rating of 4 out of 4. The author's detailed description of his methods made up for the absence of the illustrations I wanted to see. Therefore, there is no reason to rate the book less than the maximum rating. I would recommend this book to people that are interested in health improvement through fitness and dieting. However, I would not recommend it to those looking for an easy route to better health, as a sufficient amount of work has to be put into following the author's methods.

Wellness Toolbox
View: on Bookshelves

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

This health and wellness book sounds really well done. I have read quite a few of these books, and this one sounds somewhat unique and easily accessible, too. Now I'm curious about the calcium supplements! Thanks for the great introduction to this book. I enjoyed your review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Now this is a constructive read. There are a lot of 'myths' out here concerning physical fitness. If Don Roberts clears things out, at least to a considerable level, I give him props. Kudos to you too, for a well-done review.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Roberts' Wellness Toolbox sounds like an exceptional, well-researched book by a qualified professional who knows what he's talking about. I will definitely check this one out more. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Sounds like the author did a thorough job of researching and also included personal stories to support his findings. I agree with your thoughts about photos for the exercises (maybe a video link), especially since he dedicates a section to doing exercises properly. Thanks for this interesting recommendation.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm fairly interested in health and wellness; this might be one I need to pick up. I love that the author has fully explored the myths out there today. I wondered what he has to say about them. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree with you that there is a lot of information out there, and some of it is not that healthy. I'm glad that this book tries to clarify the issue. Good health does take time and effort. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Oh! I didn’t know the use of index body mass (BMI) is outdated. It seems the author has some interesting thoughts on that of which I'm just curious to find out more about from that book. Thank you for this insightful review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

With such a popular topic to write a self-help book about, it is always good when the author can bring their own experiences to the book. This enables it to stand out more than other books of the same topic.Great review.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

There's always room for improvement when it comes to health and wellness, and it can be so confusing sometimes because some infomation out there seems contradictory. A resource to clear up the confusion could be helpful. I'll have to keep this one in mind.
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

I have just started exercising. This book will help me employee the correct steps to achieve my goals.
Your review is energetic and reflects how much you enjoyed the book.

Great review.
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

The book seems to have been well researched. It is good that the author used his experience in this field to let the reader know which fitness exercise is better.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

It's good to know that the author has many years of experience as a fitness and nutrition coach. The book sounds well-written and insightful. Thank you for the analysis, I'll check it out soon.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

Thanks for this thorough review! It sounds like this author really knows what he's talking about. I'll have to add it to my reading list for sure.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

Thanks for the thorough review! This author sounds well-versed. With so many fads and misinformation out there, it is hard to know what is true and and what is false. I'm glad there is a book out there to help out!
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts

Shakespeare-As You Like It Act II, Scene VII

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”