Official Review: Love's The Only House by Debra Godsee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Official Review: Love's The Only House by Debra Godsee

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love's The Only House" by Debra Godsee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love’s The Only House by Debra Godsee is an autobiography. The book details the life of the author since childhood and the events that led to her estrangement from her three sons. It contains approximately 100 pages and has been divided into thirteen chapters. The first part of the book entails a description of the life of the author since childhood until marriage. The second part consists of several letters to her sons.

The book opens with a plethora of questions as the author begins narrating her childhood memories. She reveals the pleasant memories that filled her childhood. Eventually, she got married, and they had three sons with her first husband. She began noticing strange behaviors in her sons one day and suspected that they were being abused. There was a lot of air of uncertainty that developed when the author began observing the signs of sexual abuse. Her children feared to stay at home and would prefer going to the park. The home was no longer safe without their mum. How was she going to prove her fears? Would the culprit be brought to book?

I enjoyed the first chapters of the book immensely as they helped to substantiate the fact that children possess powerful memories. I was led down memory lane to my early childhood years as well as I tried recalling some notable and unforgettable experiences. I also liked the letters she wrote to her sons. They were very emotional. They revealed the heart of a mother who cherishes her children very much but cannot reach them due to restrictions placed on her. However, she has not given up and still hopes to meet them one day. I hope they will meet.

The book addresses many themes. The most prominent one was care for children. Many people do not recognize the ability of a child to remember events right from birth to the age of five years. Physical protection is normally emphasized over psychological care during the early years. In this book, the author cautions parents and guardians against undermining the memory of a child aged five or younger. The author proves a young child can remember a lot of things that happen during childhood by narrating her own experiences. The other themes are family, love, trust, and reconciliation.

What I liked most in the book was the courage of the author to recount her own experiences with the aim of helping others. Her love for her children is equally great. On the other hand, the book had several grammatical flaws that included overuse of the comma. The errors can be eliminated if another round of editing is done. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the grammatical errors. I recommend it to readers who love autobiographies. The book contains explicit content as the author describes reasons why she suspected her sons were being abused. Therefore, I do not recommend it to young readers.

Love's The Only House
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kibetious's review? Post a comment saying so!
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Even before I thought of reading this review the title of the book caught my eye. And the review overwhelmed my entire being: abuse isn't the nicest thing. Infact I am totally agaisnt it.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This would be a difficult situation to confront. I agree that it took courage to write her story and admire her desire to help others identify and avoid the pain she has lived through. Thanks for this compelling review.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I have heard doctors say that children do somehow remember events that happened to them right from birth. They may not always be aware of these events, but they have an unconscious impact. Your review is wonderfully written. Thanks!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The book addresses many themes. The most prominent one was care for children. Many people do not recognize the ability of a child to remember events right from birth to the age of five years. Physical protection is normally emphasized over psychological care during the early years. In this book, the author cautions parents and guardians against undermining the memory of a child aged five or younger. The author proves a young child can remember a lot of things that happen during childhood by narrating her own experiences. The other themes are family, love, trust, and reconciliation.
This is such an excellent point. I enjoyed your interesting review.
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

I love this type of autobiography stories. I can probably imagine how difficult it must have been for the mother to live without her children. I will check it out to know more. Great review you have written here.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I hope the children were saved from the abuse. Sounds like an intense read. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It's always a pity about editing errors; still, this definitely doesn't seem like a light read. I hope that the children are doing fine now. Awesome review!
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

Thank you for the review. It sounds like it is an intense read. The struggle she went through thinking her boys had been abused must have weighed heavily on her heart. I hope everyone got some help!
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts

Shakespeare-As You Like It Act II, Scene VII
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Looks like a good book for proper upbringing of kids. I like your elaborate review especialy the inclussion of themes found in the book. Thanks for the review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I like the fact that the book points out that children posses powerful memory. This is important in making adults to avoid acts that can be debilitating to children in their future lives. Thank you for this wonderful review!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

It is so true that we remember more than we think from our very young years. And if we don't remember it cognitively, our bodies remember. This sounds like a deep and meaningful exploration of a mother and her concern for her children. Thank you for the thorough and balanced review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

gen_g wrote: 06 May 2019, 06:49 It's always a pity about editing errors; still, this definitely doesn't seem like a light read. I hope that the children are doing fine now. Awesome review!
The errors are normally such a nuisance. The worst part is when they are many such that almost every page has multiple of them. The book is good though and I hope you will consider reading it.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like an interesting and emotional autobiography that every parent can take something from. You did a great job of reviewing the strengths of the book.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a very poignant book to read. It has to be hard on a parent to discover that their child is being abused. I would like to know why she is restricted against having contact with them. Was she accused of not taking good care of them? Thank you for a great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”