Official Review: Love is too Hard: The Dating (Mis)Advent...

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Love is too Hard: The Dating (Mis)Advent...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love is too Hard: The Dating (Mis)Adventures of a Man With Autism" by Louis Scarantino.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Love is Too Hard: The Dating (Mis)Adventures of a Man With Autism, Louis Scarantino addresses one of the biggest challenges for people on the autism spectrum. As an advocate for autism awareness, the author shares his experiences related to dating in high school, college, and as an adult. He offers practical advice to autistic readers about topics such as online dating and what to expect on a first date, as well as practical "dos and don'ts." The author openly discusses some of his dating challenges including getting attached too quickly, oversharing, wrestling with jealousy, and depression. He explains the lessons he has learned from his mistakes in hopes of helping others avoid them and the changes he has implemented for improvement. Ultimately, the author encourages readers with autism that they can find love, just as he has.

With 35 pages, this is a quick read for anyone seeking insight into autism pertaining to dating. The author's writing style is informal, as though he is speaking to a friend; "If you get too attached it may creep them out and you won't get a second date." He transparently conveys both the challenges and triumphs of his dating life. In one chapter, he describes trying to cope with depression after a break-up, while managing a medication change; in another, he is excited to share he has a girlfriend. Although the author writes from a man's perspective, much of the information would also apply to women.

I most like his sentiments regarding his desire to be married, which are particularly touching. "I would want my wife, whoever she may be, to read this one day, to tell her I wasn't perfect in the dating world and it was a huge struggle--more than she realizes." I also appreciate his passion for autism advocacy which is evidenced by his book, professional website, and other writing platforms: The Mighty and Thought Catalog.

On the other hand, while the author does a good job of expressing his emotions, other aspects of his writing are unclear. He doesn't follow a chronological timeline and rarely mentions his age, which becomes confusing. Also, the grammatical errors are minimal, but the author has a tendency to string long paragraphs together without breaking.

For the above reasons, I rate this insightful book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to male and female readers on the autism spectrum, as well as family members and friends who wish to gain more understanding.

Regarding the short page count, I should note that I read the ePUB format written in standard font size. The Kindle version is listed as 80 pages leaving me to wonder if it is formatted differently.

Love is too Hard: The Dating (Mis)Adventures of a Man With Autism
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a very interesting book to check out, even for people who are not on the autism spectrum. I think Scarantino's account will help readers understand those in their lives who may be struggling with autism and would allow them to better relate. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I appreciate the author's bravery in sharing his personal story. It's very admirable that he is wanting to help others with autism navigate the dating world. Thanks for an excellent review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

My nephew is autistic. The thing is autism is such a broad category; there are so many different levels that fall under it. This would be great for those who have autism that are high-functioning. Some, though, will probably never have the opportunity to date. I do admire the author for wanting to share his wisdom with others going through something similar. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Well love is not that hard. Anyways, online dating seems to be a thing in the 21st century.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I appreciate the author's desire to share his difficulties and to help others struggling with autism. This is a touching story about one of life's difficult passages. Thanks for the recommendation.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Rachel Lea wrote: 09 May 2019, 08:03 This sounds like a very interesting book to check out, even for people who are not on the autism spectrum. I think Scarantino's account will help readers understand those in their lives who may be struggling with autism and would allow them to better relate. Thank you for your review!
I agree. I found it very insightful. Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 09 May 2019, 08:08 I appreciate the author's bravery in sharing his personal story. It's very admirable that he is wanting to help others with autism navigate the dating world. Thanks for an excellent review.
I think so too. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 09 May 2019, 08:54 My nephew is autistic. The thing is autism is such a broad category; there are so many different levels that fall under it. This would be great for those who have autism that are high-functioning. Some, though, will probably never have the opportunity to date. I do admire the author for wanting to share his wisdom with others going through something similar. Thanks!
I was thinking about the varying levels on the spectrum, too. Like you said, the author is obviously high functioning. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Agnes098 wrote: 09 May 2019, 10:51 Well love is not that hard. Anyways, online dating seems to be a thing in the 21st century.
As the author explains, there are many challenges associated with autism and dating, and yes, I addressed that he mentions online dating.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 09 May 2019, 14:22 I appreciate the author's desire to share his difficulties and to help others struggling with autism. This is a touching story about one of life's difficult passages. Thanks for the recommendation.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

What an excellent idea for a book! I am glad to see writers with autism (and other abilities) step out and school the rest of us. I have two friends who have dating-age sons on the Spectrum. I will be telling them about this book and this author. Thanks for your review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 11 May 2019, 14:46 What an excellent idea for a book! I am glad to see writers with autism (and other abilities) step out and school the rest of us. I have two friends who have dating-age sons on the Spectrum. I will be telling them about this book and this author. Thanks for your review!
I imagine this will be helpful for your friend's sons. Thanks for your comment.
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

I loved this book. I have a six year old cousin who I hopes finds love. Not now, but when he's old enough this book gave me hope that no matter what spectrum he's on he can share his heart.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Quickstudy wrote: 12 May 2019, 19:35 I loved this book. I have a six year old cousin who I hopes finds love. Not now, but when he's old enough this book gave me hope that no matter what spectrum he's on he can share his heart.
I agree. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”