Official Review: The Descent of the Phoenix

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Descent of the Phoenix

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Descent of the Phoenix" by Morgan Paul Cooper.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aschyllia is only 16. While she lives with her grandfather on his farm, she longs for more adventure, similar to the ones found in the books she reads. One day, while skipping out on her chores, she and her best friend, Bleak, stumble across a woman who has just given birth to a child. Bleak and Aschyllia try to help but get into more trouble, as a young man seeks to kill her. They manage to get the upper hand against him, but their act of kindness might cost them more than they realize. Thus starts Aschyllia's own real-life adventures.

The Descent of the Phoenix is written by Morgan Paul Cooper. This novel is around 400 pages, and I would classify it as an adventure. It takes place in a more medieval time, complete with swords, soldiers, horses, and a lack of technology. For that reason, it could be classified as fantasy (as it has no basis in actual history); despite that, there is no magic or supernatural creatures. There are some innuendos as well as some violence. However, nothing is too gory or explicit. For those reasons, I would recommend this for high school age and older.

I enjoyed the descriptive writing of the author which allowed me to picture the scene fully. Because of this, I was able to immerse myself into the story and escape the world for some time. Sentences like the following helped to create this graphic image. "...just as the sun broke into the sky, and filled the world with its radiant morning light, the two reached the grove of oaks and ashes, through which just enough sunlight weaved that Aschyllia would no longer need an artificial light."

In addition, the characters were realistic, inspiring, and, yes, even frustrating. The author sticks with the same group of characters throughout the novel; because of this, I grew to love these characters and felt almost as if they were family. Though there were secondary characters, it was not a story that had so many as to feel overwhelmed.

The novel slowly builds up in intensity, finally reaching a climax at the end. The pace was steady, which helped to keep my attention focused on the story at hand. There was a good mix of backstory to help the reader understand the characters' motivations as well as action so that the book wouldn't become boring. This is the first in a planned series, but I felt like there was at least some conclusion at the end, which kept me from feeling frustrated at the lack of finality.

There is one significant drawback to the novel, however - the editing. I don't believe the book was proofread by a professional, much less edited. Words were constantly missing from sentences. Names that were supposed to be possessive often weren't. The wrong tense was used relatively frequently. It slowed down the pace of the book as I stumbled over these sentences. For example. "Kalia, with Zie at her side, stood staring off to towards the west as the other girls existed the farmhouse..."

Overall, this was an enjoyable read that I would recommend to anyone who enjoys a character-driven, light adventure. Due to the numerous, overwhelming, and often distracting errors, I have to give The Descent of the Phoenix 2 out of 4 stars. Once some major proofreading and editing take place, I would have no trouble raising my score to the full 4 stars. In spite of these issues, I would like to see more of Aschyllia and Bleak's adventures.

The Descent of the Phoenix
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This seems like an easy fix for the author, especially when the rest of the book has been handled so well. With such rich character development and a story that keeps you captivated, I'm sure he'll get the editing sorted soon :)
Great review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This does sound like it would be a very nice book, if it didn't have so many errors. Hopefully, the author will get a professional editor soon. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

It's a pity that the editing is bad when the rest of the book appears to be quite entertaining and interesting. As commenters said above, I hope the author gets all of that sorted out soon. (As a side note, I really like the main character's name: Aschyllia... It's quite unique.) Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bianka Walter wrote: 09 May 2019, 02:49 This seems like an easy fix for the author, especially when the rest of the book has been handled so well. With such rich character development and a story that keeps you captivated, I'm sure he'll get the editing sorted soon :)
Great review.
I hope so! It would definitely be a winner once all the mistakes are fixed. I'd like to read the second in the series, but the errors were quite overwhelming. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Prisallen wrote: 09 May 2019, 06:14 This does sound like it would be a very nice book, if it didn't have so many errors. Hopefully, the author will get a professional editor soon. Thank you for a wonderful review!
At least that's an easy fix. A little more proofreading, and it's a great book. It's harder to fix a bad story. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Rachel Lea wrote: 09 May 2019, 07:09 It's a pity that the editing is bad when the rest of the book appears to be quite entertaining and interesting. As commenters said above, I hope the author gets all of that sorted out soon. (As a side note, I really like the main character's name: Aschyllia... It's quite unique.) Thanks for your review!
I do as well. All the characters have very interesting names. Bleak is actually a nickname. Her given name is Lady June Wangelse. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your synopsis of the book. The story line looks intriguing. I share your feelings about the errors. When you see an error, your impulse is to add it to your list. Then you see that you already have two pages and think, "You win. I give up!" That is so frustrating, especially when you are enjoying the book!! Thanks for your insights on this book and series. Very enjoyable.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kdstrack wrote: 09 May 2019, 09:09 I enjoyed your synopsis of the book. The story line looks intriguing. I share your feelings about the errors. When you see an error, your impulse is to add it to your list. Then you see that you already have two pages and think, "You win. I give up!" That is so frustrating, especially when you are enjoying the book!! Thanks for your insights on this book and series. Very enjoyable.
There are a lot of errors that I can overlook. Punctuation errors, especially a missing comma here or there, don't bother me that much. But when it's constantly missing words and you have to reread sentences to understand them, that's when I get annoyed. However, at least it's relatively easy to fix. Other than that, it was a great story. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like a fun an interesting novel with some quality characters and good world-building. Hopefully the author takes your comments to heart and invests in some time with an editor.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

CommMayo wrote: 09 May 2019, 09:26 This sounds like a fun an interesting novel with some quality characters and good world-building. Hopefully the author takes your comments to heart and invests in some time with an editor.
Yes. If the editing was better, I would have gladly upped my score. I just wish authors would invest the time and money before publishing. Maybe they just aren't sure it's worth it? Either way, it had a good premise.
—Neil Gaiman
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like just the type of adventure story I would enjoy, with as much attention focused on character development as the plot. That said, pervasive errors in books always drives me crazy. I hope the author takes your advice and hires an editor.
rickxson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rickxson »

I'm feel pity about this book. Is quite interesting but must correct some errors so readers can enjoy it.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

unamilagra wrote: 09 May 2019, 18:08 This sounds like just the type of adventure story I would enjoy, with as much attention focused on character development as the plot. That said, pervasive errors in books always drives me crazy. I hope the author takes your advice and hires an editor.
It was interesting and enjoyable. If not for the errors, I would have given this a higher score. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

rickxson wrote: 09 May 2019, 18:42 I'm feel pity about this book. Is quite interesting but must correct some errors so readers can enjoy it.
You are right about that. Thank you for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”