Official Review: The Four Hats by Drake E. Taylor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: The Four Hats by Drake E. Taylor

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Four Hats" by Drake E. Taylor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Four Hats by Drake E. Taylor comprehensively describes four sides of leadership that can be utilized by anyone in a leadership position.

In the book, the leader’s role is categorized using four hats: the psychologist’s hat, the farmer’s hat, the military drill instructor hat, and the self-care hat. According to the book, each of these roles plays an important part in ensuring that leadership serves the goal of the team. The author intercepts the discussions with his own experiences examining what worked and what did not work as he worked for the military. In the end, the content presents a wholesome picture that examines leadership from different angles depending on the situations surrounding the leader.

I liked that the language used in the book is clear. It is accessible and easy to understand. The categorization of leadership aspects using hats makes the information easy to remember and apply. The work also suggests ways in which the insight in the book can be utilized in different scenarios. In one event, the author recalls having to step back and analyze a subordinate’s behavior. He later decided to take up a psychologist’s role which easily solved the issue unlike if he had addressed the situation like a drill instructor.

I also liked that the work is brief but comprehensive. It does not feel rushed in any way but still remains concise. The use of real-life examples easily makes the discussions in the book practical without the need for too many details. Where explanations are included, they get straight to the point. Additionally, the lack of grammatical errors makes reading seamless.

I appreciated that in many ways, the work is inspiring. Every chapter is preceded by leadership quotes that give a glimpse of what the content will contain. A variety of leadership quotes that the author has found inspiring throughout his leadership positions are also listed in the conclusion. I liked that the book is also addressed from two dimensions where the leader is also encouraged to lead a healthy life as they look out for their team.

The Four Hats by Drake E. Taylor is informative and the advice contained can be applied in everyday life. Anyone looking for a practical guide on the topic of leadership will find the information in the book eye-opening. On the other hand, it may not be for readers looking for a more complex or scholarly study on the topic. I loved reading the book and I did not identify any specific areas that I did not like. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Four Hats
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I like the fact that the author uses a unique approach of categorizing leadership. Since everybody is a leader in one way or another, this book seems resourceful to a wide range of audience. Thank you for this review!
AlexW
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AlexW »

I read this book about 3 weeks ago. I came across this book accidentally on a friend's page on Facebook. To my surprise this was pleasantly smooth read so it kept my attention span. The author talks from a very personal level and try's to convey the human approach to leadership. That to be a leader one must actually feel and genuinely interested in those they are leading. The concepts in this book definitely apply to leadership, yet I think it can apply to many other aspects such as parenting and coaching. I'd be curious to hear more stories.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think I've seen leadership approached in such a unique way. I think it's a great idea, and I think he's accurate as far as what the hats are. Though I'm not really in leadership, I am curious to see what the author has to say. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a wonderful book for anyone in a leadership role. Thanks for a wonderful review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This idea of hats presents a useful mnemonic device to remember the main points of each leadership style. This is quite a clever manner to present his material. It makes me think he must offer more interesting techniques in his book. Thanks for the recommendation.
TinyikoS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinyikos.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by TinyikoS »

Educational and encouraging book ,it seems. I would have loved to find out more about this book through this review. Strikes me as an interesting book.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I'm a freelance writer and over the course of my career, I've written a lot on the subject of leadership. However, this author's approach is new to me. New and refreshing.

I like that it is written with simple and easy-to-understand English with makes it right for any kind of reader.

Leadership has fascinated me for a long time and I'm glad that someone had the good sense to think up something this awesome!

Thumbs up for the review!
Antonella_Spinelli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Antonella_Spinelli »

I read the book all at once on a rainy day. I really like the original approach to the topic of leadership. It’s a very engaging book offering some useful and dynamic principles and advice that can be applied to any team and in more than one situation of everyday life. I’m not a native English speaker therefore I particularly appreciated the perfect fluidity and superb clarity of the writing.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

The farmer's hat is the one I can't quite wrap my head around. I'll have to read the book! This sounds like a useful model from which to explore leadership.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”