Official Review: Hearts Set Free by Jess Lederman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: Hearts Set Free by Jess Lederman

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hearts Set Free" by Jess Lederman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“In my anguish I cried to the Lord, and He answered by setting me free.” —Psalm 118:5

Hearts Set Free is a multi-genre novel authored by Jess Lederman. The book offers stories of how people’s hearts are set free to return to God.

Luke’s father deserts his wife, Yura, for another woman. Yura sets out with her son to search for him and take revenge. David Gold is a boxer who drops out of Moody Bible Institute and finds himself wrestling with God. Tim and Joan are lovers who represent the Science Cable T.V. Lemaitre is researching about the expansion of the universe based on Einstein’s equations. He describes the relationship between faith and science. Pastor Justin James walks the roads of Las Vegas to evangelize migrant workers involved in building a controversial dam. The conflict leads to violence. Pastor David Gold succeeds him. Luke becomes a Christian. He falls in love with Julia who is also a member of the same congregation. All the characters are transformed after embracing Christ in their lives.

In my opinion, Lederman is careful and creative in laying out the plot consisting of three different narratives which intermingle to create an exquisitely entertaining experience for the Christian reader. The book enriches one’s faith and awe for the beauty of God’s majestic creation. The author does an excellent job by revealing the struggles of unbelievers who finally turn to Christ to be freed from the bondage of sin and unforgiveness. He reveals a glowing transformation in the lives of the characters. He makes the stories beautifully converge at Las Vegas where the little community of the Church of the Heart Set Free shares in the passion, death, and resurrection of Christ.

I also like how the author inserts historical fiction in the novel. The dialogues involving Georges Lemaitre (priest and physicist who proposed the Big Bang theory), Jack Johnson (heavyweight champion), and Bugsy Siegel (gangster) are very entertaining and merge well with the rest of the novel.

Nevertheless, what I liked most is the faith of the community. They are true witnesses of Christ and are joyful and united in suffering. I disliked the scenes of violence and how the poor miners suffered and died because of their work conditions. The author brings to light the stark reality of injustice in the world and how Christians overcome evil through the power of forgiveness and love. I appreciate the way he reconciles Catholics and Protestants in this endeavor. Covering almost a century and involving several generations, the events are described so creatively and meticulously that I can easily visualize the scenes and become part of the story.

After reading Hearts Set Free, I find it hard to believe that it is fiction. I am very happy to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is excellent. The work seems to be professionally edited, and I did not discover a single grammatical error. I wholeheartedly recommend it for adults who enjoy reading genres like crime, suspense/thriller, mystery, romance, and historical fiction. However, it is not meant for children because they may find some of the violent scenes disturbing. The stories can make a good movie. Christians who wish to grow in their faith will be greatly motivated by reading this book.

Hearts Set Free
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Very thorough review! This book sounds like an emotional read!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Hearts Set Free sounds like a well-written book with great character development. Great review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like your comments about the faith of the community. That can make a difference when suffering of having difficulties in life. The numerous genres you listed makes it look like this book would appeal to a wide audience of readers. Loved your review! Thanks.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book is good for those who might have lost hope and think God is not on their side anymore. Since it's a mixture of genres, I'd love to check it out. Thanks
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

I like how this book intermingles, religion and history. I find your review interesting and action provoking.

Great review.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

The complex plot is very appealing to me. I am glad to see this is well done. I think this one would be worth my time to read. Thanks so much for an excellent review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I fell in love with this novel when it was BotD and I sampled it. I immediately bought it and am thoroughly enjoying it, as I have your well-written review. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”