Official Review: Lynched by the Law by Anthony Parker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Lynched by the Law by Anthony Parker

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lynched by the Law" by Anthony Parker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"In that moment, I knew that I was being ushered onto the other side of the law--the side of confinement, powerlessness, and possible abuse."

In only six years, Anthony Parker graduated from high school, earned his certification as a corrections officer, and became a state trooper. Six months later, he received the Spirit of the Trooper award, followed by the 1988 Trooper of the Year award. Parker worked hard for his achievements, but things began to unravel after he was lured back to his hometown with a promising job offer. In the aptly titled, Lynched by the Law: Putting Good Men Behind Bars, Anthony Parker shares his story of being wrongfully convicted for a crime he didn't commit.

Parker chronicles his childhood relationships and the strong work ethic instilled in him at an early age. He conveys his utmost respect for his mother who raised him with a sense of personal accountability. Parker recalls memories of moving to a brand new apartment, growing up in the projects, attending church regularly, and playing Little League Baseball in Quincy, Florida. He relates how his faith in God carried him through the 18 years he served for a crime he didn't commit. Parker also shares his passion for making a difference in the community before his conviction and since his release.

From the unique perspective of experiencing both sides of the law, Parker's writing style is focused and clear. He displays a flair for storytelling by effectively establishing the background and events leading up to his wrongful conviction. As a fan of true crime stories, I'm always intrigued by the criminal justice system. However, watching a documentary about someone who is wrongfully convicted is quite different than reading the firsthand account from someone who has experienced it. The more I read, the further I felt my jaw dropping; it's inconceivable that someone with Parker's strong work ethic and moral fiber could so easily be railroaded. I admire the positive attitude he conveys despite the unjust treatment he received. When the people he trusted and the system failed him, he relied on his faith in God.

I particularly like Parker's childhood stories involving the community role models in his life. His heartwarming and sometimes humorous descriptions of relationships with "other mommas," coaches, and teachers who contributed to his upbringing illustrate the proverb, "It takes a village to raise a child." In one instance, he relates trying to duck out of Sunday school by hiding behind a parked car when the church bus arrived and hearing, "You better get your butt on that bus!" when one of the other moms noticed him.

My only dislike pertains to the reality of the deep-rooted racism and corruption that resulted in Parker's conviction. As an ambitious and somewhat naive officer who had only been in law enforcement for several years, it was disheartening to read how he was betrayed by the superiors he trusted. However, this is a relevant point in Parker's experience, and my dislike is not a reflection on the book or his writing.

I'm pleased to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Despite the injustice that Parker experienced, his story is uplifting and inspiring. I recommend it to readers who appreciate true stories about law enforcement and wrongful convictions. The book will also appeal to those who like faith-based stories related to overcoming adversity.

Lynched by the Law
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

The idea that one could be confined for sizable portion of their lives in penance for a wrong they did not commit is both angering and depressing. Parker shows true fortitude in the face of adversity; many people would not survive such suffering without turning bitter and vengeful, yet he still holds on to his trust in God. I believe that is truly admirable.

Thanks for such a compelling review. I like how you use examples to illustrate your points.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

It's sad being wrongfully convicted for a crime you didn't do. I feel for Parker. Intriguing story there, and wonderful review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I feel that this would be a book I'd get extremely mad at. Not because of the writing, but because of what happened to the author. It's really a shame. I'll probably read it in the future, but I know I'll have to start and stop it several times. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 06:26 The idea that one could be confined for sizable portion of their lives in penance for a wrong they did not commit is both angering and depressing. Parker shows true fortitude in the face of adversity; many people would not survive such suffering without turning bitter and vengeful, yet he still holds on to his trust in God. I believe that is truly admirable.

Thanks for such a compelling review. I like how you use examples to illustrate your points.
I agree on all counts. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 12:58 It's sad being wrongfully convicted for a crime you didn't do. I feel for Parker. Intriguing story there, and wonderful review.
Thank you for commenting.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 14:53 I feel that this would be a book I'd get extremely mad at. Not because of the writing, but because of what happened to the author. It's really a shame. I'll probably read it in the future, but I know I'll have to start and stop it several times. Thanks.
That's understandable. Thanks for your comment.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

It is sad to be wrongfully accused and convicted for a crime one has not committed. It is even worse when your accusers are people you trust. Great review.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

This sounds like a wonderful book written by a strong man. It sounds as if the title is very apt. Thank you for your thorough, heartfelt review.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree, this would be a hard book to read. Working as a law official and knowing the system only makes the author's situation more frustrating. Eighteen years is a long time time and longer still when you know you are innocent. I appreciate your thoughtful review!
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

As soon as I write this comment I am going to look for this book. I’m going to put it on my shelf and go straight to Amazon. This sounds like a sad story about a good guy who was unjustly put in jail. I cannot wait to read it this was a great review you explained it well and peaked my curiosity.
Wokeread
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wokeread.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wokeread »

Thanks for the excellent review. Though I admire those who overcome adversity, this seems like a book that would make me cry, so I will pass on it for now and read it when am in a better frame of mind.
CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 »

This sounds like a book I would like. I've always loved non-fiction, so I've read a lot of true crime books and a few about wrongful convictions.

I'm wondering if the author had an especially rough time in prison, since he had been a police officer. That seems to be a common theme. I hope he didn't have that to deal with on top of being locked up for something he didn't do.

Good review. I enjoyed it.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Goodness, this would be an important and challenging book. I can't imagine what would happen to one's psyche from being wrongly accused and convicted. It is amazing he was able to write about it. The sense of betrayal would be so debilitating. This was a really engaging review, Cecilia. Thanks for the introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”