Review by TuyetMai -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Review by TuyetMai -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Mai Tran »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lieutenant James “Jamie” Munro and half-Warramunga Corporal Jack "Jacko" O'Brien are part of the Australian Army stationed in the Middle East during World War II (WWII). The two officers become close when Jacko rescues a wounded Jamie in combat. Their bond continues to deepen as the war drives them from fighting Vichy French in Syria to running intelligence service in Egypt, to tracking down war-crime fugitives in Australia.

I picked up The Warramunga's War hoping to experience WWII from the viewpoint of an aboriginal Australian officer, but the book wasn’t what I had expected. Despite the author’s efforts to weave real historical events into the story, it doesn't feel authentic. The impact of Jaime and Jacko's espionage activity in Cairo seems ambiguous and insignificant to the war effort. All characters appear unaffected by the war. They don't seem to be in danger at any point in the book. Despite the German spies being described as “efficient and dangerous,” they seem utterly incompetent and harmless. Apparently, they can't hide their German accents from Egyptian prostitutes and belly dancers either.

I also find the title confusing and misguiding. At first, I thought it referred to the Warramunga tribe fighting in WWII, but that is incorrect because the tribe doesn't partake in the war or any war for that matter. In fact, the tribe only makes a brief appearance in the book. Despite the spotlight given to Jacko’s heritage, it has little significance in the war. While Jacko can accurately shoot any obscured target, an uncanny ability which he attributes to his Warramunga root, he only uses it twice. One may argue that his dark skin tone helps him blend in with the Egyptians, but none of his team members get singled out for having a lighter skin tone.

In all fairness, The Warramunga's War is an action-packed adventure. The story is told in a linear progression with a steady, smooth flow. The dialogues sound natural, and the characters’ playful banters are fun to read. However, Kater’s straightforward, sometimes methodological storytelling results in a lack of suspense and drama, and the story comes off as bland. While the book is not that long at 324 pages, everything after the Egypt arc felt like a drag to me. Toward the end, I was left wondering as to what the point of this story is.

The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater is a cross-continental adventure with many different elements like crime, mystery, espionage, history, and romance. Unfortunately, Kater couldn’t really make these elements work together, so the story ends up being a little of everything but fails to make a strong impression. On the plus side, the book is remarkably well-edited, and I only find a handful of errors. Since this novel is missing a certain depth to make it more meaningful and realistic, I give it 3 out of 4 stars.

This book would be a good choice for readers who enjoy a long adventure packed full of action. However, I think there are better options out there for those who are looking for a historical fiction novel about espionage. Since the book has a subplot about a mysterious serial murderer and rapist, I wouldn’t recommend it to minors and people who are easily disturbed by such content.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TuyetMai's review? Post a comment saying so!
"To achieve something that you have never achieved before, you must become someone that you have never been before." (Les Brown)
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I'm not sure this one is for me. I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction, so this doesn't really fall into my best categories. But I really enjoyed your review! Thanks :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like it could have been a really good book, but missed the mark. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

Though it doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy reading, it's always good to know what to avoid and what to pursue. Thank you so much for the review!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This is a very well thought out and analyzed review! I can understand your disappointment that the book wasn't exactly as advertised. Seems it was not quite historical enough to actually deserve the historical fiction title.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

Thanks for your comment about the book. Reading about marginalized groups in the world war would be a thrill. Thanks for the review.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I like that the book is well edited; however, it seems like the author might have bitten off more than he could chew by incorporating so many different genres. I hope that he takes your suggestions into account. Thanks for the review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I read this book when it was BOTM. You express some unique comments that I had not heard before. That makes for an interesting review. I really enjoyed reading your analysis of this book. Thanks!
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I read and loved this piece and not only because of the many ways it has tugged at my heart's strings. Thank you for your honest review of it, nonetheless.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It's a shame the involvement of the Warramunga doesn't deliver on its promise.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”