Official Review: Escape from Uncle Sam's Plantation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 85
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 118
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Last words from above by Jeremy Brown

Official Review: Escape from Uncle Sam's Plantation

Post by LivreAmour217 » 02 May 2019, 12:28

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Escape from Uncle Sam's Plantation" by Ed Temple.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Edward Temple's Escape from Uncle Sam's Plantation is a nonfiction work that exposes the many flaws of public education in the United States. A twenty-year veteran of the public school system, Mr. Temple now teaches at a private school and is an advocate for school choice. Within this book, Mr. Temple presents his case against public education at large, using research and ample personal experience to support his claims.

Foremost, Mr. Temple cites burdensome government mandates as the source of the problems that plague public schools. Excessive focus on meeting benchmarks has shifted priorities from providing meaningful classroom instruction to staying within compliance of standards. The downside of standardized testing is one strong example used throughout the book, and the author sheds light on how these tests actually lower academic quality and create undue stress for teachers and students alike.

Mr. Temple also exposes the problematic lack of critical thinking and debate that is present in many public schools. Teachers and students alike are discouraged from expressing thoughts that deviate from the curriculum, and politics play a significant role in which topics are allowed for discussion. The author's primary concern is that students are not receiving a well-rounded education that allows them to explore different viewpoints, engage in meaningful discussion, and reach their own conclusions.

The merits of private school education (with a focus on faith-based institutions) are also discussed within this book, along with some surprising facts about the debate surrounding school choice in the United States. Although brief (the copy provided to me was only forty-six pages in length), Escape from Uncle Sam's Plantation provides a great deal of information for anyone who wants to know more about this controversial topic.

My favorite aspect of this book stems from my own experience in public education. For several years, I was a member of the support staff for a school district located in the Midwest. During this time, I filled several positions, including teacher's assistant, substitute teacher, and tutor. I also have a child that attends a public school. Between my experience as an educator and as a mother, I have witnessed firsthand many of the problems discussed within this book, and I experienced a great deal of vindication as I read. Mr. Temple's claims are not exaggerated (I could write a separate essay to back up this statement), and I am grateful that he has stepped up to expose the flaws in a system that is so heavily relied upon.

My least favorite aspects of this book are the lack of editing and the formatting issues that I encountered. The writing is solid overall, but there are quite a few typographical errors, along with some unusual page breaks within the last ten pages. While I'm fairly certain that the latter was caused by technical/formatting problems with the file itself, I do wish to make the author and/or publisher aware of this issue, as it did make some of the pages difficult to read.

I greatly appreciated the message of Escape from Uncle Sam's Plantation, and I award it 3 out of 4 stars. If not for the aforementioned issues with editing, I would have awarded a full four-star rating. I recommend this book to parents in the United States, especially those who are considering alternatives to public education, and to anyone else who simply wishes to know more about this topic.

Escape from Uncle Sam's Plantation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 24
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Silenced Behind the Silence
Bookshelf Size: 746
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Passions & Perils of the Prodigy by GJ Neumann

Post by Kibetious » 04 May 2019, 08:08

This seems to apply to the U.S. only, but I am sure there are some aspects that will apply to other countries too. I am glad to see that what he discusses is justifiable. Thanks for the review.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 64
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Angry Wife
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Daredevils by Anne Greene

Post by kdstrack » 04 May 2019, 13:30

The topics that the author presents in his book is also the motive for the rise of homeschooled children. I, too, applaud the author for writing this educational book. Thanks for the recommendation.

Brendan Donaghy
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Brendan Donaghy » 05 May 2019, 12:13

Sounds like an interesting book. Some of the issues the author is concerned about here will be familiar to people in other countries too, notably the obsession with meeting targets and benchmarked standards. It's obviously a subject you feel strongly about - great review!

DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla » 06 May 2019, 05:43

There's something quite flawed with the education systems. A lot of people end up as 'drop-outs' yet they go ahead and thrive. Well-done review.

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Dentarthurdent » 07 May 2019, 03:22

Great review. You've provided quite an interesting summary. Shame about the editing; the book seems great otherwise. I'm glad the author has facts to back up his argument, and also that his claims are not exaggerated.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”