Official Review: Follow Her Heart by M. L. Taylor

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Official Review: Follow Her Heart by M. L. Taylor

Post by CommMayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Follow Her Heart" by M. L. Taylor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aniela and Jessie grew up worlds apart. Aniela’s life was consumed with all of the trappings of 1840s high society England: fine gowns, lavish balls, and eager suitors waiting for her eighteenth birthday. Stolen at birth, Jessie lived the life of a street urchin, hustling to stay alive while living with her prostitute mother and barbaric step-brother. Their lives tangentially intersect when best friends Lucian and Jaylon become unwitting participants in the lives of both women.

At the bequest of her father and unbeknownst to the daughter, Lucian courts Aniela and asks her to marry him. Aniela can’t get a brief encounter with Jaylon out of her head and plans a trip to Boston prior to their wedding, only to have her ship sink with her on it before leaving the harbor. Meanwhile, a gravely injured Jessie escapes her step-brother’s violent advances for a final time and gains passage on the only ship to leave the harbor that night. Assuming his fiance’s inevitable demise, an anguished Lucian commands his ship to leave port unaware of the stowaway trying to pass as a young boy.

M.L. Taylor’s Follow Her Heart is an intriguing historic romance novel that predominantly focuses on the lives of Jessie and Lucian. The story takes the reader on a journey far from the gritty beginnings of Jessie’s miserable life. There is a fun balance of the pomp of the English nobility and the lives of the working class. Taylor includes the perfect amount of mystery to keep readers turning the pages to figure out the origins of Jessie’s life in addition to following the tumultuous romance between her and Lucian.

The plot is very interesting and does not disappoint as major revelations are exposed; however, the editing of the novel seriously falls short and does not do justice to the interesting tale weaved by the author. In addition to grammar and spelling errors, there are abrupt shifts in point of view and infrequent but cringe-worthy interpretations of slave dialect. Readers of modern romance novels or the new adult genre will need to force themselves to suspend belief throughout the novel in order to immerse themselves in this romance. This book is a slightly more modern version of the Fabio-covered paperbacks found in your mother’s cart at the supermarket.

All in all, I give this intriguing romance a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. As a lover of historical romance novels by authors like Paula Quinn or Maya Banks, this novel was a little too old-school romance for me. While Follow Her Heart could use another solid round of professional editing, lovers of Regency romance and rags-to-riches stories will really enjoy this novel. There is no cliffhanger ending for Jessie and Lucian, but you will absolutely want to run out and pick up the next novel in the series as soon as you turn the last page.

Follow Her Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CommMayo's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Romance isn't my genre, but you've made this sound appealing. It's really too bad about the editing issues; that is so easily fixed with a good proofreader. Still, I'm glad you were able to find some enjoyment in this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The historical references and descriptions would be interesting. The blend of mystery and romance makes this seem like an easy weekend read. Thanks for the recommendation.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sound like an intriguing romance novel to read. I hope the author gets a good editor to fix the errors. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

The book sounds quite interesting. I like that the character's miserable upbringing
doesn't define their future.It is unfortunate that it isn't well edited. Great review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like an interesting and unique read.... I love a good romance novel! Such a shame about the editing; it really can detract from the reading experience, even if the errors are minor. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Great review:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Books in this genre are not really my thing, as I find the same types of plots tend to be rehashed over and over again, but your review was excellently written. Thank you!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Wilkister94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister94.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Wilkister94 »

Follow Her Heart by M. L. Taylor sounds like an intriguing romances novel to read. I like the fact that the character's miserable upbringing
doesn't define their future. Great review.
Look where you want to go in life, not at where you don’t want to go.
Rob White
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I love historical novels and romance so I am very excited about this one.
Ibrahim Dirisu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ibrahim Dirisu »

pretty interested in this one, love reading romance books and mostly historical blended........seems like my next book to read..thanks for recomendation
phills
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by phills »

Follow her heart
Written by M. I. Taylor
Is an story about two sisters Daniela and Jessie who grew up in different environs and the writer portrays the nature of their growing environment from slum to a better life
Lucia proposed to Jessie to marry him and Jessie decided to board across the sea shore
Before her ship sink but Jessie survived it and finally made it to the shore

The writer was very good with the romance though the editing was not complete I thing.the story is quiet intereting
Sarah_batool
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sarah_batool »

I am not a fan of cliches and romance stories but you made it sound so much more than just a romantic story,Will definitely read it
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

I just read the official review for the second book which promoted me to read this one too. The series sounds awesome and I want to get copies of it soon.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

So this is what the first one was about! I read the review for the second novel in this series and was enthralled. I think I can say the same for this one.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”