Official Review: Vitalize Your Workforce

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: Vitalize Your Workforce

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vitalize Your Workforce" by Margot Maddock Murphy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Vitalize Your Workforce: Conquering the Crisis of Employee Stagnation is an exceptional book. Authored by Margot Murphy and James A. Robertson, it has exceeded my expectations. Consisting of seven sections and 28 short and to the point chapters, the content is presented in simple language that will be understandable to the average reader. This book has a unique style because every chapter has a summary and is followed by a page for the reader to write notes.

I have worked for several years in a Fortune 500 company that often ranks among the top 20 in the list. It is the best employer I have ever experienced in the corporate world. After reading this book, I wonder whether the excellent quality of its management is due to Murphy’s influence because she has been a consultant for many such organizations. The writer begins with a quotation: “Vitality is the creative energy of life. Does your company have it?” It is the key to her management approach. While strategy experts may suggest organizational strategies, the main problem they encounter is lack of implementation due to employee stagnation. This is where Murphy’s method is significant. In this book, she explains what is to be done to solve this problem.

Employee stagnation has reached epidemic proportions. The author applies a multidisciplinary approach to address it and offers tools and techniques for dealing with it at the leadership and operations’ levels. By introducing the profile of a Chief Vitality Officer, she helps organizations to bring a transformation. This is further facilitated by the Vitality Assessment Software and shared learning programs which are tailor-made by her to enhance creativity and productivity. Energized by this system, employees’ potential is activated. They are happy to work and dedicate themselves to the vision and mission of the company.

Vitalize Your Workforce provides a detailed explanation of key terms like “vitality” and “stagnation.” Vitality is seen as a way of thinking and being. The causes of stagnation are explored. I appreciate how the author perceives people’s problems in relation to process problems and treats them from the core. A superficial approach is avoided by vitalizing communication at all levels. Negativity is confronted head-on!

I am most impressed by the idea of having a Chief Vitality Officer, but I wonder whether it is possible in smaller organizations, unless combined with other roles. The manuscript has been edited by several individuals with excellence, and I found only a few typos. I encountered only one problem while reading. As soon as I began savoring the contents of a chapter and was eager to read more on the topic, it ended abruptly, leaving loose ends.

I won’t give out more details in this review because that would spoil the delight of reading the book in the author’s own words. It is worth the time and money you spend on it. I have seen Murphy’s strategy in action and personally gained a lot from her outlook; for work as well as personal life. For all these reasons, this book deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars. Presidents, CEOs, other levels of management, and employees will all find it thought-provoking, and the suggestions are very practical. I enthusiastically recommend it for men and women involved in any kind of network that develops problems like stagnation. They will all be vitalized by the strategies proposed in this handbook.

Vitalize Your Workforce
View: on Bookshelves

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I just loved the idea of a Chief Vitality Officer in an organisation, athough I agree this might prove difficult in smaller companies. Anyhow, I believe stagnation an issue in corporate life and should be dealt with. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This book looks like it could be incredibly beneficial to anyone in upper management and CEOs of companies. Very well-written review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

To be able to find a solution, the problem must first be identified. This author has put her finger on a prevalent situation in companies today. Her solutions sound viable and successful. Your positive recommendation makes this a must read! Thanks.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Murphy's Vitalize Your Workforce: Conquering the Crisis of Employee Stagnation sounds like a very practical book addressing a topic that badly needs consideration. The fact that the author was actually a consultant for many of these different organizations gives her opinions a lot of credibility. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

Sounds like an interesting read, and certainly includes some unique topics discussion. It seems that upper-management/CEO's would thoroughly enjoy this book, but I am not sure if it is for me. Thank you for your input, and your excellent review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”