Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
jimthorne2
Favorite Book: Christians in the Age of Outrage
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Post by jimthorne2 »

Free will cannot be construed as the ability to create truth out of illusion. My opinion about the Bible is irrelevant to the truth that the Bible reveals. But officer, I didn't know that I was speeding. The officer replies, "Whether you knew it or not, you were speeding. I'll write up the ticket!"
Jim Thorne
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

gali wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 22:44 This is a discussion topic for the May 2019 Book of the Month, Misreading Judas: How Biblical Scholars Missed the Biggest Story of All Time by Robert Wahler

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
The book is uniquely interesting as it presents a new perspective and ubderstanding to previously held beliefs. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars.
Claudiafhlux18
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: The Ordinary Doll
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudiafhlux18.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Claudiafhlux18 »

The Misreading Judas is a book most interested because there are news for the Bible and the scripture but not all know as the gospel. I like this book idea because I like National Geographic documentary there is a different version from original the church.
THarveyReadALot
Currently Reading: Special Deliveries
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Post by THarveyReadALot »

I believe there's a reason the Gnostic Gospels weren't included in the Holy Scriptures/Holy Bible. The Scriptures are true; the Gnostic Gospels can't be proved to be true as far as I know. The Gospel of Judas is portrayed, if I understand right, as a Gnostic Gospel. Only the Scriptures can tell us the truth about Judas the disciple turned betrayer. And Jesus knew that Judas was going to be His betrayer.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

Lindsey Klaus wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:18 It's definitely a book I want to read. I was bummed that the sample only included other people's opinions on the book, as I was really looking forward to getting a taste of things. Still, I think it sounds really interesting. While I don't always agree, I love theories that challenge widely accepted beliefs, because widely accepted beliefs are not always based on fact or logic. But we don't even realize this, because that belief has been so ingrained in us since childhood. A few very powerful people get a hold of some very influential texts and warp them to fit their own narrative - that might not be the case here, but it has been the case in many other things throughout history. If that's what happened, I'd like to be more knowledgeable about it, even though I don't typically read religious or spiritual books. I really want to see what his evidence is and come to my own conclusions.
I believe the Amazon "Look Inside" feature at my booksite there has a fairly long excerpt.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Vscholz wrote: 01 May 2019, 20:15 I started this book a while ago. I love the idea behind it, but I wasn't able to fully understand what was being said. That isn't to speak poorly of the author--he certainly did his research, but I think the target audience is very specific. A basic understanding of Gnostic beliefs is definitely a must.
That of course would help, but I tried to write it so a simple comparison, gnostic to biblical, is all that is needed to see dependency, biblical upon gnostic.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

bigscarythingy wrote: 01 May 2019, 20:39 I was raised a Christian and spent a lot of time researching the scriptures in depth. Anytime someone has a fresh take on things, I'm usually open and ready. This book has some very unique ideas and I like the idea that Judas has been harshly misjudged all this time. Many non-Christian religions posit the belief that Jesus was just another holy man, and I think it's a conceit worthy of some consideration. The fact that Judas was purportedly accelerating the succession of religious figureheads is fascinating and I think the book has some real value in the theological arena.
Judas was not "accelerating" succession. The character 'Judas' is pure fiction. He was a stand-in for James. Paul was responsible for his murder. Read Dr. Robert Eisenman's work on James. He says Acts 7 describes this event with 'Stephen' as a cover for James. It is fascinating background for my book. In fact, reading his big three books on James (James the Brother of Jesus, The Dead Sea Scrolls and the First Christians, and The New Testament Code) are essential reading to understanding the NT Gospels as fiction. It's a done deal. Just waiting for everyone to catch up. James was a savior. The Church wanted him suppressed for selfish ends. :)
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

srividyag1 wrote: 01 May 2019, 21:14 I was born into a religion with a multitude of gods. I’ve always been curious about Christianity and its history; the role it played in shaping the world’s history. I gather that what the author deals with in this book is a very controversial topic. When I read the sample, it consisted of mostly reviews from other publications. Yet, the introduction itself reads like a research paper. I am curious about how mysticism and Christian beliefs are linked. I am interested in reading this book because I like having a healthy debate about many deep-rooted systems. I believe that any new knowledge that comes to light should be treated with the dispassionate eye of science and research and used for the betterment of humanity.
I had no control where the publisher put the reviews. That is where they said they had to go, and I wanted them in there. (Wouldn't you?) Your attitude is just right. This is new information! I hope it is disseminated widely.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

jimthorne2 wrote: 02 May 2019, 17:39 Well Choice, I surprised that you detect Buddhist symbolism. I'm not that familiar with Buddhism but am intrigued by the link.
Lots of people, like this person, are confused and taken in by biblical misinformation. I hope you see more clearly. The new information of the gnostic discoveries are a treasure trove that will in time be appreciated for the pivotal turning-point that they in fact are. Read informative material. Go here: RSSB [dot] org and Scienceofthe Soul [dot] org

It is best for the poorly or only-partially informed to completely avoid reading the New Testament. It is wickedly deceptive. Seriously. For your own good, stay clear! These authors were expert at disinformation!
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Abacus wrote: 02 May 2019, 18:44 I found the book compelling. Whaler seems completely sincere and lays out an excellent discussion. There has been a National Geographic TV program a few years ago. Religion is not free from political bias, or church bias, so it needs experts on both sides to present the cdifferent ideas. I recommend it to people who are religious, philosophical and history buffs, as I am sure their is more to learn. It gets 4 out of 4 stars from me.
To illustrate how biased Bible scholars are, the final product from NGS had 7 minutes from the Gospel of Judas in a two-hour TV Special (including commercials) supposedly on the Gospel of Judas. The rest was from the NEW TESTAMENT Gospels, or a history of the discovery. So much for understanding it! How biased can one get? The Gnostics wrote original material. Not so the orthodoxy.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

THarveyReadALot wrote: 03 May 2019, 18:32 I believe there's a reason the Gnostic Gospels weren't included in the Holy Scriptures/Holy Bible. The Scriptures are true; the Gnostic Gospels can't be proved to be true as far as I know. The Gospel of Judas is portrayed, if I understand right, as a Gnostic Gospel. Only the Scriptures can tell us the truth about Judas the disciple turned betrayer. And Jesus knew that Judas was going to be His betrayer.
Don't just believe everything you read, including the Bible, and me. But after you read my work, you will see you can believe it.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

The book enlightened an important aspect that has been missing for long time. I liked that courage that the author showed the reality to everyone. But because I don't like religious books that much so I give the book 3 out of 4 stars.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

No disrespect, but the author did touch on a sensitive aspect of Christian faith. Trying to give some credit to what Judas did sounds distorting. As a Christian I find this book to be a threat to my faith. I just read the review of the book and I don't like everything about the book. The author should redo the research on this matter again and bring something that will develop a common ground with everyone. I don't think I'll rate the book.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
ShannonHBC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonhbc.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by ShannonHBC »

I think this is a very interesting book, actually something I had been hoping to find for some time. There's certainly a lot still in the shadows of Christianity. I give it 3 out of 4 stars.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

I have just started reading this book. I am currently on chapter two, which is about 30 percent through the book. My opinion on it so far is that is relies a little bit too much on the idea of the apocrypha, which if you don't believe in that bit, well... then the rest of the books kind of sinks. However, I do think it is really well-written so far, and I'll be trying to finish it within the next couple of days.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”