Official Review: We Have Met the Enemy by Felicia A. Watson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: We Have Met the Enemy by Felicia A. Watson

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "We Have Met the Enemy" by Felicia A. Watson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the year 3028, Naiche Decker joined the Uniterrae Defense Corps (UDC) shortly after her grandfather Gus died, to the disappointment of her Chiricahua family. She felt compelled to join the fight against the dreaded aliens, the Eternals, who killed her mother, then a promising lieutenant commander in the UDC.

After ten years with the UDC, Naiche, now 28, is a second lieutenant with the Search and Rescue team, a dead-end post. Notorious for her obsession to avenge her mother’s untimely death, she is unpopular and has a reputation for being insubordinate and sexually undisciplined. Her one true friend is fast-rising First Lieutenant Con Kennedy who would defend her with his life.

When Kennedy is asked to join the mission to discover the origin of the Eternals and hopefully the means to defeat them, he convinces Naiche to join him. She agrees, even though she had a prior conflict with the captain of the ship, Matt Ricci. As their ship, the Lovelace, journeys into deep space, Naiche and her comrades face many unforeseen dangers. Will Naiche come home a better person? Will she come home at all?

I totally enjoyed We Have Met the Enemy by Felicia Watson. She built a future world that is believable and fascinating. Humans have conquered space and live in various locations (planets, moons, and other celestial bodies) all over the universe. Sexual freedom is the order of the day. (There are only a couple of intimate scenes, though, and they are very brief.) The Lovelace crew meets different alien races during the journey; some of them are open to friendship and able to communicate intelligently, and some are downright hostile. The sophisticated weaponry and equipment are impressive, and the intergalactic battles are riveting. The technical descriptions are easy to digest even for a science fiction nonfan like me. Relationships between superiors and subordinates and among peers are realistic.

My favorite character is Naiche. Her childhood experiences of losing her absentee mother at age ten and growing up with her grandfather and a dog have made her bitter and wary of close relationships. On the plus side, these experiences have made her strong, daring, and determined to fiercely protect the few who manage to earn her friendship and trust. I also like that she speaks the Chiricahua Apache language (a glossary is included) at opportune times in the story. The rest of the characters have interesting personalities. These include a Japanese linguist, the top brass that is a mix of males and females, and Naiche's partner dog, Corpsman Third Class Kayatennae. Character development is done seamlessly; the reader just realizes that the characters are already familiar.

The book, while primarily a space odyssey, also explores the themes of family, friendship, selflessness, loyalty, and love. Several scenes make the reader pause to reflect on these themes. It is sobering that even in the 31st century, humans will need these invisible essentials.

Each chapter has a well-worded title accompanied by an appropriate quotation that gives the reader a preview of what to expect in the chapter. The title and epigraph also summarize the chapter content perfectly. A fine example would be chapter 14 which has the title “To Speak the Truth” and a quotation from Henry David Thoreau, “It takes two to speak the truth – one to speak, and another to hear.”

The ending is unexpected and thought-provoking. It is certainly most satisfying and memorable.

I can go on and on about the book’s merits and would have gladly given it the perfect rating. Unfortunately, the editing was less than perfect. Unwelcome errors came into the picture; I noted unnecessary words, misspellings, and punctuation lapses. I hope the author can get these errors purged soon, so this story can fly even higher. For now, the book easily earns 3 out of 4 stars.

The book will be an exciting read for fans of space adventures. Those who would rather read about human relationships will not be disappointed, either. Women will like Naiche: tough and courageous, but with a soft heart that she hides well. I also invite those who like dogs to have a bite of this book. Let us meet the enemy and pray for victory.

We Have Met the Enemy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The quotes at the beginning of each chapter sound intriguing. I like your description of the characters and am wondering where the dog fits in?? Does she take him along on the trip? This is puzzling me! Thanks for the great review.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

Its always unfortunate when a good book is brought down by bad editing! Given the compelling story and characters though, I think I might read this one! Thanks for your review :)
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Fan of space adventure, check.
Love reading about human relationships, check.
Like dogs, uh, seriously? UBER check.
This one is for me :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kdstrack wrote: 02 May 2019, 11:47 The quotes at the beginning of each chapter sound intriguing. I like your description of the characters and am wondering where the dog fits in?? Does she take him along on the trip? This is puzzling me! Thanks for the great review.
You need to read the book to find out what Kay's role is. Remember that he is a corpsman!

Thanks for the visit!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Firefawkes wrote: 02 May 2019, 12:33 Its always unfortunate when a good book is brought down by bad editing! Given the compelling story and characters though, I think I might read this one! Thanks for your review :)
This is a wonderful book. I don't read a lot of sci-fi, so I didn't expect to enjoy the book much. But it was a most pleasant surprise.

Thanks for dropping by.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Bianka Walter wrote: 02 May 2019, 13:53 Fan of space adventure, check.
Oh, good! Then pray tell me about your reading experience, my friend! BTW, my second favorite character is Kay!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Miriam Molina wrote: 02 May 2019, 14:38
Bianka Walter wrote: 02 May 2019, 13:53 Fan of space adventure, check.
Oh, good! Then pray tell me about your reading experience, my friend! BTW, my second favorite character is Kay!
Of COURSE he (she?) is!
Love dog characters. Ugly cry if they die.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Sounds like a unique premise! I like that it is a space book set in the future, but also deals with themes that are timeless.
Well-written review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 02 May 2019, 17:36 Sounds like a unique premise! I like that it is a space book set in the future, but also deals with themes that are timeless.
Well-written review!
Yep, I do hope you get to read it, too. Thanks for the kind words.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I am a BIG fan of science fiction and a good adventure story, but I'm not sure that I would enjoy this particular book because I don't feel that the plot is terribly compelling or original. A tough-as-nails hero with a hidden heart of gold who doesn't play well with the other kids and has a burning obsession with avenging a lost loved one? I feel like I've heard this story before... The numerous grammatical errors in the manuscript would dissuade me from reading this book as well.

However, although I don't think We Have Met the Enemy is for me personally, your review of it is excellent and is a great comprehensive synopsis. Good work!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Rachel Lea wrote: 02 May 2019, 20:38 I am a BIG fan of science fiction and a good adventure story, but I'm not sure that I would enjoy this particular book because I don't feel that the plot is terribly compelling or original. A tough-as-nails hero with a hidden heart of gold who doesn't play well with the other kids and has a burning obsession with avenging a lost loved one? I feel like I've heard this story before... The numerous grammatical errors in the manuscript would dissuade me from reading this book as well.

However, although I don't think We Have Met the Enemy is for me personally, your review of it is excellent and is a great comprehensive synopsis. Good work!
I am not really a sci-fi expert and mostly shy away from such stories, so I wouldn't know if the plot isn't original. I am sure you are more conversant about the genre, being the BIG fan that you are.

Thanks for the kind words and for gracing the page.
Niski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niski.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Niski »

Corpsman Third Class Kayatennae - a dog with a REAL job. I don't know why but I'm picturing him as a Doberman, although I'm sure he's a German shepherd.
Thanks for your amazing review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Niski wrote: 03 May 2019, 03:01 Corpsman Third Class Kayatennae - a dog with a REAL job. I don't know why but I'm picturing him as a Doberman, although I'm sure he's a German shepherd.
Thanks for your amazing review.
I believe Kay is a Blue Heeler.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for the kind words.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The book is very fascinating from what I can tell after reading your review and I would like to read it. I guess Naiche came back home better since she is the main character. This is my guess though. Glad to see that the author created a believable world.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”