Official Review: Line Of Communications by Sondra Garner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Line Of Communications by Sondra Garner

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Line Of Communications" by Sondra Garner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Due to the small print of the Status of Forces Agreement, American military personnel no longer have any rights as American citizens off base should the Turkish government determine they have offended any laws."

It's 1964, and you are living in a foreign country with your husband and three young children. Imagine the terror of having your son kidnapped, your car stolen, and your husband arrested without any explanation--all in a matter of months. In Line Of Communications, Sondra Garner chronicles the events following the arrest and imprisonment of her Air Force Officer husband in Turkey. Meanwhile, back in the United States, the arrests of three Americans in the military haven't even made the news. Despite being trapped in a political tug of war, Garner is desperate to free her husband; she draws strength and courage from their love and finds kindness from unexpected sources.

Garner's story has all the makings of an action-packed suspense; unfortunately, it is a true story. When Garner shares how she met her husband, Chase, and her mother's involvement, it's apparent that she is a gifted storyteller. She pens her story with amusing details, but when she addresses more serious issues, her writing transitions smoothly, as she candidly recounts the horrific details. It's difficult to imagine such a nightmarish scenario, but Garner poignantly portrays her family's experience while maintaining her sense of humor. For example, regarding the Turkish/American Status of Forces Agreement, she quips, "...perhaps they should have selected a mother who had experience in negotiating a truce between two two-year-olds!"

I most liked Garner's attention to details as she portrayed a young American family adjusting to life in Turkey. While she didn't sugarcoat the circumstances, she shared the positive as well as the negative. For instance, in the same chapter that she described the deep cleaning and work needed on their home, she also included a picturesque description of the covered porch and walled rose garden that provided privacy, fragrance, and a play area for the children. I enjoyed reading these types of details about everyday life in a foreign country which balanced the more serious issues the book addressed.

I also admired Garner's discretion and diplomacy. She was quite sensitive about not revealing the names of the Turkish friends who helped them lest there were any negative repercussions for them. However, most significantly, out of respect for her husband, she waited to write the book and adhered to the military's secrecy about their unjust treatment. Even now, she doesn't list names or point fingers.

I can't think of anything I dislike about the book, but sadly, the number of punctuation errors prevent me from giving it a perfect score. Most of the errors are the incorrect capitalizations of words. With minor corrections, the book could easily earn a perfect score. However, as it is, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to those who enjoy reading about overcoming adversity and military life. It will also appeal to readers who are interested in the culture and history of Turkey.

Line Of Communications
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is one of my worst nightmares! Having lived in foreign countries, I would be interested in knowing what steps she took to get her husband released. This one interests me. Thanks for the compelling review.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I love how she remained true to the story without selling people down the river. People are so quick to forget where their loyalties should be just to write a best seller. This sounds like it was almost cathartic for the author.
Loved your review, as always :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 02 May 2019, 11:42 This is one of my worst nightmares! Having lived in foreign countries, I would be interested in knowing what steps she took to get her husband released. This one interests me. Thanks for the compelling review.
I agree! You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote: 02 May 2019, 13:44 I love how she remained true to the story without selling people down the river. People are so quick to forget where their loyalties should be just to write a best seller. This sounds like it was almost cathartic for the author.
Loved your review, as always :)
Thank you, Bianka. :tiphat:
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

This sounds like a powerful story, all the more so because it's true. I enjoyed reading your excellent review of this book. Many thanks!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The writer is truly gifted. The statement you have quoted above is full of insight and sounds funny at the same time. This is one of the books that I would like to read.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 03 May 2019, 04:08 This sounds like a powerful story, all the more so because it's true. I enjoyed reading your excellent review of this book. Many thanks!
Thank you. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Kibetious wrote: 03 May 2019, 05:17 The writer is truly gifted. The statement you have quoted above is full of insight and sounds funny at the same time. This is one of the books that I would like to read.
Thanks for your comment.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I also admired Garner's discretion and diplomacy. She was quite sensitive about not revealing the names of the Turkish friends who helped them lest there were any negative repercussions for them. However, most significantly, out of respect for her husband, she waited to write the book and adhered to the military's secrecy about their unjust treatment. Even now, she doesn't list names or point fingers.
Wow! I am so impressed that the author was so discrete even after everything they went through. Thanks for pointing that out about her. Great review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 04 May 2019, 17:10
Wow! I am so impressed that the author was so discrete even after everything they went through. Thanks for pointing that out about her. Great review!
I agree. Thank you, Sarah.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

I like this one. True stories are very inspiring.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

This sounds like an interesting story and one that I would enjoy. Enjoyed reading your review!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

This author sounds really skilled at assembling a beautiful story about a profoundly difficult set of circumstances. It is remarkable what she went through and is so striking that it is a true story. I kept thinking I was reading a fiction review. Thanks for the lovely review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”