Review by Eclecticmama -- The Mystery Of Flight 2222

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Review by Eclecticmama -- The Mystery Of Flight 2222

Post by Eclecticmama »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mystery Of Flight 2222" by Thomas Neviaser.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mystery of Flight 2222, by Thomas Neviaser, is an exciting, fast-paced thriller fiction. We are immediately introduced to our main character, the steely-eyed, athletic, and often forgetful Frank Mason. He is employed as a stock analyst, a job that often takes him away from Kate, his wife of nine years. This time around, the job is for Frank to travel to Buenos Aires, to secure his company a spot on the bottom tier of a new but promising company. The job should be an easy one, and Frank expected to wrap things up within a couple of weeks, no big deal. Unfortunately, the hands of fate had other plans for Frank Mason, the passengers and the crew of Air USA Flight 2222. The plane experiences catastrophic engine failure, and they crash into the middle of the ocean, thousands of miles away from land, help, or hope. The survivors must rely on each other, and inner strength they didn't realize they had in order to make it out alive...

I wanted to like this book, I really did. Unfortunately, I have to rate The Mystery of Flight 2222 1 out of 4 stars. The story has a great concept, and there is an obvious message the author wants the reader to take away from it, which is The Law of Karma. But in no way did I see this translate well while reading, and at the end of the story, (and the epilogue and afterward that follow) I was left with more questions than answers.

My biggest disappointment when reading this book was all of the errors, both in editing and in the story itself. I found many times where what the author was describing would just not be possible for the characters to do, or survive even. There is also a lot of foreshadowing the main character, Frank Mason does that makes the story too predictable. I found it super irritating, and it took away too much of the mystery to me. It was never explained why only he could do this. Reading the dialogue between different characters was painful and oftentimes cheesy. There were Spanish characters that spoke Spanish, both to each other and others. But an Asian couple, who were native to their respective Asian countries, spoke broken English, even to each other. So that struck me as odd, and out of place.

There also seemed to be a lack of planning on the author's part when writing this novel. The main antagonist is simply named "The Boss" and the men who work for him are just called "goons", over and over again, which is tiresome. Also, as the characters go through the story, there is no real personal development, and the readers don't know who they really are until the epilogue. Also, the background's of most of the character's were messy, shallow, lacked depth and description. I found that the way the characters were described in the epilogue didn't translate at all when reading their respective parts in the story.

While I respect the idea Thomas Neviaser was trying to get across, I believe this story needs a lot more work before it is an acceptable adult thriller, and children are not suited for some of the adult themes that are presented in this book. So I can only recommend The Mystery of Flight 2222 to someone who is looking for an adventure novel while keeping these negative aspects in mind.

The Mystery Of Flight 2222
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eclecticmama's review? Post a comment saying so!
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

Looks like this one needs quite a bit more work! That's too bad. I appreciate your thougtful review that clearly justifies your rating. Hope you find a more enjoyable read for your next one!
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

It's such a shame this book is so bad, since its title holds so much promise of a thrilling mystery novel. Kudos on the insightful review!

If you wouldn't mind checking my latest review, I'd greatly appreciate it!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It's a real shame that the book turned out the way it did in terms of errors and general content editing because it sounds like it had such promise. The concept of survival in the open ocean is something that I'm interested in but it sounds like this needs more work before I can pick it up.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I actually reviewed this book, and I think I enjoyed it more than you BUT I do agree with the epilogue. It just destroyed the hype the book had when I was reading it. Also, the backgrounds of each character were indeed shallow but I thought it was good enough UNTIL I read the epilogue. From there, everything went down the drain. However, I do think the author was skilled enough in writing the adventures when they were at the sea. Anyways, I respect your own perspective on this book. And I think your points are valid too. Thanks for such an insightful review. :)
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

When I read your summary, I was excited to read the book. It's a shame that the story, in the end, didn't really work. To have a survivalist story not include actual situations one could survive is a bit odd. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Eclecticmama

Post by Eclecticmama »

briellejee wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 22:36 I actually reviewed this book, and I think I enjoyed it more than you BUT I do agree with the epilogue. It just destroyed the hype the book had when I was reading it. Also, the backgrounds of each character were indeed shallow but I thought it was good enough UNTIL I read the epilogue. From there, everything went down the drain. However, I do think the author was skilled enough in writing the adventures when they were at the sea. Anyways, I respect your own perspective on this book. And I think your points are valid too. Thanks for such an insightful review. :)
Ugh that epilogue... Thank you for your comments! And for agreeing to disagree! Multiple perspectives are helpful, which is one of the reasons I love this site.
Eclecticmama

Post by Eclecticmama »

Letora wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 14:41 When I read your summary, I was excited to read the book. It's a shame that the story, in the end, didn't really work. To have a survivalist story not include actual situations one could survive is a bit odd. Thank you for reviewing!
Yeah it was a shame for me. This story has great promise if the author is willing. Thanks for the comment!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Seems like this story completely failed in the execution.Thanks for the thorough review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”