Official Review: Every Ghost Has Its Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Every Ghost Has Its Story

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Every Ghost Has Its Story" by Lynda Marie Austin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have always been intrigued by the possible existence of ghosts or spirits. Science and logic dictate that they absolutely don’t exist, but that doesn’t stop them from being a really spooky concept. In Every Ghost has its Story, Quinn, a 15-year-old girl, develops an exceptional gift. She is able to see ghosts. At first, the thought that she can see these spirits is horrifying, as it should be! But as her story progresses, she realises that the apparitions she sees are mere impressions of people who once were.

As word of the new medium gets around, Quinn loses thought-to-be friends, finds unlikely allies, and is thrown into a world that she didn’t even know existed. As she navigates her newfound abilities, she encounters both good and bad situations and, consequently, learns how to evolve. This is Quinn’s story; however, it is also the story of how she gives voices to a host of spirits who never got their tales told.

I loved reading this book. As far as books about the paranormal go, this one included just the right amount of creepy to keep me on my toes. Although I wouldn’t classify this as a horror book, there were definitely stages where I needed to make sure all of my lights were turned on… just in case. Spooky aspect aside, the characters were all so endearing and well built that it was hard not to empathise with them through the various trials that they encountered. I felt like I knew Quinn and her friends and family well. The author, Lynda Austin, has clearly mapped out exactly who each character is, as well as their unique personality traits.

One of my favourite things about this book was the dialogue. So often, authors bumble through conversations and make them awkward or unrealistic. Austin’s way with words made it so that every conversation was one which I could clearly imagine taking place. The dialogues also spanned age groups, ethnicities, and, of course, lifetimes. The author took great care in making every interchange genuine.

The only thing that I was a little thrown by was how quickly Quinn’s mother accepted that she was seeing ghosts. I loved the creative way with which Quinn’s father came to terms with the fact (a long lost neighbour back from the dead), but Quinn’s mother never faltered in her belief of her daughter. Conversely, it also showed the bond between the two, so it didn’t bother me for long.

I am so sad, having enjoyed this book so much, to have to rate it 3 out of 4 stars. The editing was good, but it was not good enough. The biggest error was the lack of commas, especially after introductory phrases. ‘To make Dad happy Mom and I trailed along with him to the battle site,’ is one such example. Even so, I would still recommend Every Ghost has its Story to anyone who is interested in the paranormal, especially ghosts and spirits. This book is also perfect for a younger audience.

I hope the author considers a sequel, or maybe even a series of books. Quinn’s adventures have just begun, and I would love to read more about her and her ethereal antics.

Every Ghost Has Its Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm really glad that the dialogue was so well-done. That really can make or break a story. It sounds like it has just the right amount of creepy. Great review. Seems like an enjoyable book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like the right kind of ghost story to me, not too creepy or scary. I like that you pointed out how unrealistic it was that Quinn's mother believed her right off the bat. If one of my kids told me they could see ghosts, I would just roll my eyes. Great review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I am a big fan of the books about paranormal! :) I believe this one is a very interesting and engaging read. I agree, very often dialogues in the books are just unreadable, and well-developed dialogues bring so much pleasure to a reader. Thank you for this excellent review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Overall, I'm not usually a fan of paranormal stories, but your engaging review piqued my interest. I agree that strong dialogue really enhances any plot. Thanks for the recommendation.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 07:20 I'm really glad that the dialogue was so well-done. That really can make or break a story. It sounds like it has just the right amount of creepy. Great review. Seems like an enjoyable book.
It was enjoyable! Would definitely recommend for a good DAYTIME beach read :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

unamilagra wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 10:23 This sounds like the right kind of ghost story to me, not too creepy or scary. I like that you pointed out how unrealistic it was that Quinn's mother believed her right off the bat. If one of my kids told me they could see ghosts, I would just roll my eyes. Great review!
Ya, I'm not a huge fan of Stephen King level scary, so this was perfect.
If it helps, her dad did discuss sending her for brain scans before he believed her :lol2:
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Ellylion wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 12:11 I am a big fan of the books about paranormal! :) I believe this one is a very interesting and engaging read. I agree, very often dialogues in the books are just unreadable, and well-developed dialogues bring so much pleasure to a reader. Thank you for this excellent review!
I agree! Dialogue definitely helps put you right into the action!
Thanks for your kind comment :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cecilia_L wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 12:23 Overall, I'm not usually a fan of paranormal stories, but your engaging review piqued my interest. I agree that strong dialogue really enhances any plot. Thanks for the recommendation.
It was lots of fun, more than anything :)
Thanks, Cecilia!
- Dr. Seuss
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Oh! This sounds like a great read! I love that the author included social backlash in the plot. This seems like it's very textured. Thank you for the great review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Austin’s way with words made it so that every conversation was one which I could clearly imagine taking place. The dialogues also spanned age groups, ethnicities, and, of course, lifetimes. The author took great care in making every interchange genuine.
I absolutely love it when the author has realistic conversation. It's such a difficult thing to nail correctly, and it's rare to come across dialogue well done. Thank you for this review!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Villa_ro
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-villa-ro.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Villa_ro »

Congratulations you finished reading it despite the spooky feelings. Yaaay, the book was not for me.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This certainly sounds like a good read! I must say, I'm also intrigued by the concept of the supernatural, and it would be nice to know for sure if they exist (if I don't scare myself silly first). It's a pity about the slight lack of realism (when Quinn's mother believes her all too easily) - I hope the author takes your suggestions into consideration. Thanks for the lovely review as always, Bianka!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

This sounds like a book that I would enjoy- with all of the lights on, of course! Thank you for the great review! :)
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 17:23 Oh! This sounds like a great read! I love that the author included social backlash in the plot. This seems like it's very textured. Thank you for the great review!
It was fun to read :)
Thank you for commenting!
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”