Official Review: Scary Spring: Our Polio Fright of 1955

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Scary Spring: Our Polio Fright of 1955

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Scary Spring: Our Polio Fright of 1955" by C.A. Hartnell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our Scary Spring: Our Polio Fright of 1955 by C. A. Hartnell is listed as historical fiction and is the first book of a four book series. Each book title features one of the seasons. In this first volume, the author portrays the polio threat that hung over the nation and how this fear seeped into the hearts and minds of the children who heard the news reports and saw evidence of the disease in the people around them.

Carol Ann lives in El Monte, California. Pete, her best friend, comes over frequently to play. They like playing with mean Mr. Chester’s beagle, Hey Pup, who regularly escapes under the fence to be with the children. Family and school activities occupy a great deal of their time.

A dark cloud hangs over their lives. The March of Dimes posters displayed in store windows remind them of Tim and Mr. Chester who have difficulty walking as a result of polio. The government plans to test a new polio vaccine in the grade schools. Deep fears arise when Carol Ann gets the chills, stiffness in her shoulders, and a high fever. Has the vaccine developed by Dr. Salk come too late for Carol Ann?

The author recreates the ambiance of the 1950s. Current television and radio programs, different models of cars, and the names of favorite movies and songs fill the pages of the book. Family activities and visiting neighbors knit the community together. Another highlight is the information about the development of the polio vaccine included in the prologue and complemented at the end of the story. The author personalizes the book with several family photos, a list of prices of everyday items in the 1950s, and a glossary of words that might confuse readers.

Children reading the book on their own might need an adult to explain the numerous references to songs, television programs, and cars that were popular in the 50s. A picture of a March of Dimes poster would be helpful. Readers could experience the hope for a cure that Carol Ann felt when she donated her dimes to the cause.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The story is well written and excellently edited. I only noticed three errors. This story is appropriate for children in the second to fourth grades, and parents and teachers would enjoy reading this book out loud to their children. The book mentions the testing of the polio vaccine on school children. This method of field trial, on more than 600,000 children in grades one through three, has been criticized, and these sections of the story might trigger adverse reactions in readers who oppose vaccinations.

Scary Spring: Our Polio Fright of 1955
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This book seems like a good way for children to learn some history about the polio epidemic in America and what America was like during that time period. Thanks for a wonderful review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting! This looks like it's part of a series, and I'm definitely interested in the 1950s. I hope Carol Ann is okay. Thanks so much for introducing us to this one!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

Great review, friend! I'm not a huge fan of that title, but you've convinced me this one is worth a read. I don't read a lot of historical fiction, but when I do I like to be immersed in the time and place and it seems this author hit the mark. Thanks!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Since I read two of the four books in the series, I really enjoyed your review. The polio is mentioned in the other books, as one of the kids' friends suffered from it. It seems we enjoyed some of the same features of the nostalgic content, and you make an excellent point about parents explaining the pop-culture references. Great review!
bellamia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellamia.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by bellamia »

I'd like to read this one! Really great review!
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

You know those children books that have that strange idyllic and domestic sort of feel? Like Little House on the Prairie? This book sounds like it would fall into that same category. Thank you for this review, I'm glad you liked the book so much, kdstrack! :D
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds interesting. Does the author discuss the potential negative effects of the new anti-vaccine movement?

Great review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Prisallen wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 07:56 This book seems like a good way for children to learn some history about the polio epidemic in America and what America was like during that time period. Thanks for a wonderful review!
I agree. Personally, I learned quite a bit and was motivated to read more online about the epidemic. I liked how the author used a child to reflect the emotions of the time. Hope you will enjoy it too.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 08:27 Interesting! This looks like it's part of a series, and I'm definitely interested in the 1950s. I hope Carol Ann is okay. Thanks so much for introducing us to this one!
It is a short and quick read. Hope you can pick it up! Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Janelle Juncos wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 09:19 Great review, friend! I'm not a huge fan of that title, but you've convinced me this one is worth a read. I don't read a lot of historical fiction, but when I do I like to be immersed in the time and place and it seems this author hit the mark. Thanks!
What´s wonderful is that you can look up all the names of the songs and programs online. Listening to a few of these tunes will really take you back in time! Thanks for stopping by.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

bellamia wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 13:44 I'd like to read this one! Really great review!
Hope you enjoy it!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

nooregano wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 14:14 You know those children books that have that strange idyllic and domestic sort of feel? Like Little House on the Prairie? This book sounds like it would fall into that same category. Thank you for this review, I'm glad you liked the book so much, kdstrack! :D
I liked how the author personalized the book. She takes you back in time and helps you relive the era in which the story takes place. I did enjoy it. Thanks for commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 15:37 This sounds interesting. Does the author discuss the potential negative effects of the new anti-vaccine movement?

Great review!
There are some historical facts (and photos) included in the book. I'll let the author answer your question herself!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

How neat that the author has recreated the 1950's for the readers- via the tv and radio shows, cars, movies and songs of that decade. Great review! :)

Return to “Historical Fiction”