Official Review: Ferocious Fall: Our Wild Weather Escapes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Ferocious Fall: Our Wild Weather Escapes

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ferocious Fall: Our Wild Weather Escapes" by C.A. Hartnell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Best friends Pete and Carol Ann are off to an adventurous autumn. The eleven-year-old friends are learning about weather in school and experience firsthand, the effects of thunderstorms, dust devils, floods, and lightning. While they learn the importance of being cautious, the wild seasonal weather doesn't interfere with their fun visits to the Oak Glen apple orchards, Sturtevant Falls, Knott's Berry Farm, and the California Alligator Farm. When they cross paths with three school bullies, the weather isn't the only stormy challenge Pete and Carol Ann must face. Meanwhile, Carol Ann is recording clues in her notepad about the latest local mystery. Is the black pick-up truck they keep seeing involved in the recent burglaries? Follow their escapades in Ferocious Fall: Our Wild Weather Escapes, the third volume of the 1950s Adventures of Pete and Carol Ann series, by C.A. Hartnell.

This fast-paced children's chapter book is 118 pages and is exceptionally edited. Some of its themes are fear, faith, bullying, friendship, trust, and loyalty. It also includes fun additional content at the end of the book that will appeal to young readers: Carol Ann's photo album, a glossary of expressions, a recipe card, and an interesting list referencing the cost of items in the 1950s. As the third book in a series, it stands on its own. As the second volume I've read in the series, I found that the books don't necessarily have to be read in order.

The book features a well-developed cast of characters and is written from the perspective of Carol Ann. In this volume, Carol Ann is worried about the severe weather conditions and the local burglaries. She records Bible verses and clues in her notepad. The scriptures are comforting, as they apply to fears regarding both the weather and bullies. Carol Ann's best friend, Pete, stands up to the bullies and is also quick with humorous responses that illustrate popular slang from the 1950s. Mary Jane, his obstinate older sister, manages to blame Pete and Carol Ann for her constant messy mishaps. Buddy, is Carol Ann's 10-month-old beagle, and his antics will also delight young readers.

I particularly like the way the author teaches readers about elements of weather and historic places in California. As the kids encounter different types of weather, the author introduces vocabulary words and their origins; "Our teacher had informed us that cirrus was Latin for curls of hair." Several of the chapters are designated to family and school outings, and each one contains interesting related facts. For instance, regarding the California Alligator Farm, the guide informs the class, "We supply alligators to the motion picture industry and have had many famous visitors here, including Albert Einstein."

I honestly can't name anything I dislike about the book. The author balances adventure, humor, and pop culture with lessons about historic places, weather, and positive character traits. I'm pleased to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to young readers between the ages of 8 and 12, as well as parents, teachers, and grandparents who will enjoy sharing the nostalgia with their kids.

Ferocious Fall: Our Wild Weather Escapes
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I believe this book is a very good read for young readers not only because it touches on such important issues as fear, bullying, friendship or trust, but also from historical point of view. Children will definitely learn very many important things from this book.
Thank you for this great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ellylion wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 05:32 I believe this book is a very good read for young readers not only because it touches on such important issues as fear, bullying, friendship or trust, but also from historical point of view. Children will definitely learn very many important things from this book.
Thank you for this great review!
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This looks really cute. I love that kids get to learn about the effects of the weather in such a fun way. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 10:14 This looks really cute. I love that kids get to learn about the effects of the weather in such a fun way. Thanks so much.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author has a unique way of blending childhood experiences with educative material. I liked how you connected the weather with the emotional torments. Great review. Thanks.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

It sounds like this author has developed some amazing characters and has found a style of storytelling that works for these projects. I love how the books are fun and informative. Thanks for an excellent review.
TBK
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TBK »

Kids usually love reading about weather. My own kids loved the movie Twister and watched it endless times. I think my grandchildren will love this book!

Return to “Historical Fiction”