Review by Sandra K Pearson -- The Immigrant's Lament

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Review by Sandra K Pearson -- The Immigrant's Lament

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Immigrant’s Lament by Mois Benarroch is an autobiographical book of poems. Mois Benarroch is one of the leading Israeli poets. He has six books published in Israel. In 2012 he was awarded the Yehuda Amichai poetry prize. The author uses poetry to describe events, and the emotions he experienced throughout his life. The poems are short, except for two, both spanning over several pages. These poems cover many topics such as love, freedom, war, politics, and his thoughts and frustration on religion.

Some of the poems I found were easy to relate to. It was interesting to read about how the author felt while traveling and living in new places. I liked how his emotions changed throughout the book, it made it feel much more down to earth. I don’t typically read poetry, but the fact that it was more like an autobiography made it much more interesting. The poems were written in free verse, which made it easier to read, especially if you’re new to poetry. Every poem had a strong message and could stand on its own.

Reading this book was almost like watching the author grow up, seeing how his emotions developed over time as he lived his life. His confusion about religion is something I think many people experience and can relate to. The poem “Good-Bye” I felt was one of the strongest. At some point of life this is something everybody feels. I thought a few of the poems were depressing, but that’s to be expected in life. Other than that, there was nothing I didn’t like about the book.

This collection of fifty-three poems was short but powerful. In this book there is something everyone can relate to in some way. I have a bad habit of thinking that poems are too complicated to read and understand, but that was not the case here.

I rate The Immigrant’s Lament 4 out of 4 stars. This book was not over complicated and I had no trouble comprehending what I read. Most of the poems were short and easy to keep up with. I did notice a few spelling mistakes, this could have been because of translation. The book was written in Hebrew and translated to English in 2016. They were not distracting and did not take away anything from the book. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys poetry, particularly for people who are new to writing or reading poetry.

The Immigrant's Lament
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Sandra K Pearson's review? Post a comment saying so!
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jorge Luis Borjes
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

As a migrant and one who is interested in poetry, I think this book should go to my reading list. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I always thought poetry books are meant to be incomprehensible too! Glad you found this book as a proof that it isn't. Awesome review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I don't usually read poetry either, but your review made me want to try this book. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Great review! But I'm not a poetry fan, so I'll pass.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”