Official Review: 7 Secrets To Surviving College

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: 7 Secrets To Surviving College

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "7 Secrets To Surviving College" by Christopher Scott.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Navigating through college can be a challenging experience when it comes to choosing a study program and sourcing additional finances to fund the tuition. Apart from academics, a student’s support system is vital to his/her success. 7 Secrets to Surviving College is a handy guidebook for college kids. It is written by Christopher Scott, an experienced professional in the field of education. He hopes to assist as many students as possible through his book which offers advice, tips, and guidance when it comes to studying, finding scholarships, and keeping focused throughout each semester.

This book was well suited to its target audience. I appreciated this the most. The narrative contained memes as well as modern jargon used by college kids and expletive statements (the latter was disguised by symbols) such as, ‘be sure to get your a$$ up in the morning’. He also shared anecdotes detailing a few of his very own college experiences. I think that these things would capture young people’s interest and make them feel as if they were receiving advice from a peer instead of an adult. Therefore, they may be more receptive to the information in this book.

The humor in this book was also something I liked. I can confidently say that this book was never boring. I found myself chuckling at some of the author’s jokes, such as when he captioned a picture of a praying mantis which stated, ‘Me praying you make the right choice for you’. Apart from animal memes like this one, the author’s writing style was naturally humorous especially when he wanted to emphasize a particular point.

At the end of each chapter, the author included a list of questions as part of a reflection segment. These encouraged the reader to think about their own experiences and personalities. I think that this will promote self-awareness and critical thinking which is very important for young people. Although I graduated from college already, I gained some valuable insights by reflecting on my own college experiences. There were things I wish I had done differently after reading this book.

I had no issues with the book’s content. It was written in a way that made it appealing and interesting to young people like myself. However, it contained several grammatical errors which I cannot overlook. Due to this, I am deducting a star and rating 7 Secrets to Surviving College 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to university students and prospective college students. People who have no interest in attending college would not benefit from reading it.

7 Secrets To Surviving College
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Great review. The book sounds interesting. I wish I had something to guide me through my college days.
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

Oh, how I miss college. I hope that this book provides practical advice on choosing a profitable degree rather than just targeting your interests. That's the mistake I made! Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like great advice for those looking to enter college soon. I'm sure there are some tips I could have used when I was in high school. Since I'm long past the high school age, I think I'll pass on the book. It seems great for its target audience, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This book looks like it would be a great read for young adults entering college. Lots of great tips!
Great review!
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

I am currently attending college so the title sparked my interest. I might have to check this one out. Thanks for the review!
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

This is self-guide book that assist students in studying and finding scholarships. Great review!
Espinosa413
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Espinosa413 »

:techie-reference: :techie-reference: :techie-reference: This is self-guide book that assist people in studying and finding scholarships. Great review
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

This sounds like a great book for students just starting college. Using humor and personal anecdotes makes it more relatable. Hopefully the author fixes the grammatical issues because it has the potential to be really helpful to young people entering college. Thanks for the thorough review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author did a good job of giving pertinent advice for the target audience. Maybe parents of college-age children would benefit from this book. I like the author's use of humor to focus the reader's attention. Thanks for your review.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Janelle Juncos wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 12:37 Oh, how I miss college. I hope that this book provides practical advice on choosing a profitable degree rather than just targeting your interests. That's the mistake I made! Thanks for the review!
:( I made the same mistake as you! Now I'm making a different career change but it would have been so much easier to choose a profitable degree a few years ago. Thanks for commenting!
CharlizeGwapa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlizegwapa.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CharlizeGwapa »

I had struggled my way through college myself and I have a younger sister who is about to enter college, since the book offers uselful technique for college survival, I would definitely get a copy of this.
TinyikoS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinyikos.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by TinyikoS »

As a student ,I would have appreciated a guide on how to survive college. It will come in very helpful for students and new entries to college.
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

Sounds like this book has taken a light-hearted approach to self-help, rather than being preachy. That's always appreciated, and I feel like it would be more effective. I've already graduated, so I'd rather not read this to see what I should have done :lol2: Great review, I would have been glad to read this a few years ago!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”