Review by Michgal 32 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Review by Michgal 32 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review for Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

South West of the Queen Charlotte Island, the Seattle Express is on fire and the crew tries to make sure everyone is safe and the ship is not totally burnt. Steve, the head captain has to ensure none of his crew members is loses their lives in the fire. Luckily they manage to get off the ship and onto two lifeboats. What really happened? Does Steve and his crew make it to the mainland?

Louise and Larry are co-owners of the Warhorse, an old ship they inherited from Louise's father. Their business is in a bad financial state and they need to get a job with a big claim so that they can be back on their feet. They get the news about the Seattle Express and they are determined to tow it even though Louise is sceptical, because of the condition of the Warhorse. Larry, however, is very optimistic and manages to get everyone he can get on board. They manage to get to the Seattle Express before the other tug ships, but not without challenges. They manage to tug it to the pier and now have to deal with the owners of the ship to get their pay.

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon , is action packed right from the first chapter. As much as I did not see a lot of character description perhaps because of the many characters in the book, the scenes were well described and I could easily picture them as I read. I also liked the fact that there is a lot of suspense in the book especially when it came to William's condition. The writer incorporated some happenings from a previous book, which made the book more interesting because as a reader I was also asking myself the same question Randall was asking. A lot of effort must have been put in editing this book, because I did not encounter grammatical or other errors that could have made reading the book hard. It was only once that the word bitts was misspelled.

The only thing I did not like about Adrift by Charlie Sheldon, is the big number of characters. I must say that I had to read the first chapter twice to find out who is who. The characters in the Seattle Express were all introduced at once, which I felt was very overwhelming.

Despite the many characters, I really enjoyed the book and would love to give it a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This book would really be enjoyed by fans of suspense and thriller genres.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Michgal 32's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your description of the characters in the book. The large cast of characters was something I noticed also. Great review! Thanks.
Michgal 32

Post by Michgal 32 »

kdstrack wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 15:26 I enjoyed your description of the characters in the book. The large cast of characters was something I noticed also. Great review! Thanks.
Thanks for your comment. The number of characters especially in chapter one is overwhelming.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I have also encountered books with a lot of characters thrown at the reader in the first chapter. Like you, rereading the first chapter helps to keep them separate, and certainly adds to the enjoyment of the book. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. Great review! :)
Michgal 32

Post by Michgal 32 »

Bluebird03 wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 09:25 I have also encountered books with a lot of characters thrown at the reader in the first chapter. Like you, rereading the first chapter helps to keep them separate, and certainly adds to the enjoyment of the book. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. Great review! :)
The book is quite enjoyable once you know who is who.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I read Adrift as well, and I wonder if the reason we had trouble remembering all of the characters is because they were introduced in the first book. There were a few other things, like William's stories, that I think I would have understood better if I had read the first novel. I did enjoy the book though. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Glad to enjoyed reading the book as much as I did. Thanks for the review. I concur with you that the number of characters was huge. For me, it made the book more interesting since all of them had roles to play.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

The large number of characters threw me, too! Like you, I had to keep going back to make sure I had the right character with the right name. Nice review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

This seems to be a great book to peruse. I'm however mindful of the large cast of characters. I will probably check it out though. Thanks for the great review.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I can't agree enough! I read this book and I must confess that I enjoyed every bit of it. Well-written review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”