Review by AKShanmar12 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Review by AKShanmar12 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by writingShannon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon begins with alarms, smoke, fire, 30-foot seas and 70-knot winds; and the pace of the novel just keeps ramping up from there. This gripping story keeps the reader hoping and praying until the very last sentence.

Just south of the Gulf of Alaska, 100 miles from the nearest land, Steve, the captain of the Seattle Express awakens in the middle of the night to find his giant container ship unexplainably on fire. Very quickly it is determined that they need to abandon ship, and he and his crew of twenty split into two, enclosed lifeboats, and drop into the cold, angry sea. They immediately lose contact with each other.

Meanwhile, Louise and Larry, the owners of a salvage operation and an ancient salvage tug, Warhorse, hear the recovery call. Hoping this will be the job to save their failing business, they gather a crew, and rush to be the first tug to the abandoned ship, despite the anger seething through their marriage.

Additional points of views add dimension to the story. Pete, a security guard for Buckthorn Corp, the owner of the Seattle Express and a large mining developer, offers a unique perspective. Myra, the daughter of one of the crew, and an anthropologist actively fighting Buckthorn, gives a taste of the dread and anxiety felt by those waiting for the lost to be found. Viewpoints are also offered from various crew-members in the lifeboat and on the tug, as fear mounts and tragedy strikes.

Adrift follows characters who were originally introduced in Sheldon’s previous book, Strong Heart, which I have not read yet but have already downloaded to my kindle. Sheldon skillfully covers the past, so that this novel can be enjoyed without having read the previous one.

I appreciated how Sheldon’s adept use of minor players, whose lives are touched by the accident, creates depth and keeps the story moving where it might have wallowed in despair if only the main characters were used.

I don’t know if Sheldon has another book planned following this one, but I was frustrated by some of the details that were never resolved: what caused the fire? Would the mine move ahead? I also would have liked more closure at the end. It was an amazing build-up but the words “The End” came as a shock before I was ready for them.

Despite my grievance with the ending, this was still a really well-crafted novel, which I read in one day (ok, and most of the night). I am glad to give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars and look forward to reading other titles by this author.

This book would be a great read for anyone who enjoys sea adventure with a touch of native mysticism. It would be appropriate for any age, teen and above.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AKShanmar12's review? Post a comment saying so!
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Great introduction, very gripping (much like the book). I agree with you, about the ending, I assumed that there would be another book, because I think the author left much unknown about the Buckhorn corporation, as for the what started the fire on the Seattle Express, I do remember a brief scene where Steve asks one of the survivors on the lifeboat with him if he had checked something (what that something was escapes my mind at this moment due to my goldfish-like memory), but I assumed that's what had caused the fire. Great review!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I agree that
This gripping story keeps the reader hoping and praying until the very last sentence.
I liked how the plot and character were developed. It is an incredible book to read. You did a great job in your review. Kudos.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I also reviewed this one and had many of the same thoughts as you. I was also frustrated by the ending and the loose ends. The author is working on another book in the series. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it involves Travis and his investigation into the shady stuff going on with Buckhorn (mysterious fire, mining operations, etc.). Great review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I read this book as well and I loved it. I did not read the first book either and there were times I wished that I had. You wrote a wonderful review!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Your review has made me so curious. I will have to get this book just to read these sea adventures. Thanks
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I hope there is another book so that your questions might be answered :)
And seeing as you enjoyed this one so much, I'm sure you would look forward to reading it!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”