Official Review: Vigilatus by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Vigilatus by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vigilatus" by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After a trip back in time to escape a death by drowning, Theo is stuck in Germany in 1937. He expects his scientist father to get the time machine back up and running to rescue him; in the meantime, though, he must work to escape the Nazi government and keep a precious journal out of the hands of a madman bent on helping Nazi Germany win World War II.

The plan is for him and Gracie to escape with the journal to the United States. Before their flight by dirigible leaves, though, Gracie is determined to rescue her friend Herr Moeller, who has gone missing after saving the two teenagers. Will she be the next one to go missing? Or will Theo and Gracie make their flight and escape safely to America?

Vigilatus is book two in the TimeWorm series and is written by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams. The novel has around 350 pages. There is violence as well as dark themes that would make the book inappropriate for those younger than high school age. Nonetheless, this is a historical fiction novel, so it is nothing that didn't actually happen.

I had the joy of reviewing the first book in this series, TimeWorm. Though I enjoyed that book, it moved a bit slowly and lacked some character development. This sequel made up for the deficiencies of the first. There was an abundance of action to keep even the most wandering minds engaged, and the characters really blossomed. Theo is a typical teenager who doesn't quite understand the minds of women. Gracie confuses him, and his reaction to her is extremely realistic for a younger boy. Gracie has spirit and makes for a great female protagonist. Being courageous, her fear never stood in the way of anything, and I admired her for that.

Though this is the second book, the authors do a great job of getting the reader caught up to what's already happened. There is a scene toward the beginning of the book where Theo reminisces about all that's occurred so far. This would be helpful for those that have not read the first book, making this stand alone if necessary. More than that, it's a good reminder if time has elapsed between the reading of the first and second books.

Furthermore, Ms. Heller and Mr. Adams use the German language and dialect to immerse you into Nazi Germany. Yet, never are these words given without clueing in the reader as to their meaning. In addition, they include real events, people, and places from this time period, so you are learning as you are being entertained. They have found the perfect balance between moving the plot along and introducing historical snippets.

All in all, I found absolutely nothing about which to complain. Therefore, I rate Vigilatus 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys an action-packed historical fiction with elements of time travel and technology. It would be especially interesting to those that enjoy reading about Nazi Germany. I absolutely cannot wait for the next installment of this series.

Vigilatus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CharlizeGwapa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlizegwapa.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CharlizeGwapa »

I did not like the 'turning back of time' theme since I do not find such fantasy wonderful, however, I really liked your review.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Can you imagine, knowing the atrocities of WWII, being whisked back to that time? How terrifying.
This seems like a really interesting book. I enjoy the idea of learning the historical aspects as the book progresses.
Great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

CharlizeGwapa wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 07:07 I did not like the 'turning back of time' theme since I do not find such fantasy wonderful, however, I really liked your review.
I understand. That's why there are so many different books out there - something for everyone. Good luck finding the one for you.
—Neil Gaiman
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Interesting and descriptive review. Made me curious to know more about it even if historical fiction isn't my genre
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 13:26 Interesting and descriptive review. Made me curious to know more about it even if historical fiction isn't my genre
I think it's interesting enough that even those that don't enjoy historical fiction would find this one fun. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

The authors are clearly skilled with language so that the reader knows what's being said when German is used. They must have researched Nazi Germany well to produce this compelling adventure.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 14:56 The authors are clearly skilled with language so that the reader knows what's being said when German is used. They must have researched Nazi Germany well to produce this compelling adventure.
Absolutely. You can tell it's well-researched. I really enjoyed it and am waiting with baited breath for the next one.
—Neil Gaiman
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

The plot of this one sounds right up my alley. I love historical fiction with a touch of fantasy/sci-fi thrown in. You did a great job of highlighting the strengths of this book.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

unamilagra wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 17:30 The plot of this one sounds right up my alley. I love historical fiction with a touch of fantasy/sci-fi thrown in. You did a great job of highlighting the strengths of this book.
Thank you. I hope you read and enjoy this one. I did.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It's really obvious that you enjoyed this book - historical fiction with sci-fi sounds like a good mix! I will have to check out the first title - thanks for the review!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

This book sounds so captivating! I simply cannot imagine how harrowing the experience must have been for Theo, let alone those who were actually trapped in that reality. There is no shortage of reasons to read this novel, yet I would definitely read it, if only to discover the fate of Herr Moeller. Great review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

gen_g wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 00:37 It's really obvious that you enjoyed this book - historical fiction with sci-fi sounds like a good mix! I will have to check out the first title - thanks for the review!
I really did. It was fabulous. I am looking forward to the next in the series.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 07:53 This book sounds so captivating! I simply cannot imagine how harrowing the experience must have been for Theo, let alone those who were actually trapped in that reality. There is no shortage of reasons to read this novel, yet I would definitely read it, if only to discover the fate of Herr Moeller. Great review!
Thank you. This is a great one to pick up. I think you'd enjoy it immensely.
—Neil Gaiman
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys an action-packed historical fiction with elements of time travel and technology. It would be especially interesting to those that enjoy reading about Nazi Germany.
This is me. I would love to read this book and the other books in this series.

Thank you for the lovely review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”