Review by cgehan -- The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cgehan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgehan.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Review by cgehan -- The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by cgehan » 20 Apr 2019, 18:38

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Spirit of Want, by William H. Coles sheds a light on the consequences of love in life and following our hearts at an unexpected time. The reader is brought into the lives of Lucy, the main character, and her sister Elizabeth as we see the effects of nature versus nurture on the sisters’ developments. Lucy is adopted while Elizabeth is not. This difference affects the two as their view of life and the world differs in almost every aspect. Their personalities differ, as well, while Lucy is stubborn, strong-willed, and a dominant lawyer while Elizabeth is portrayed as second best to her sister. The descriptions of the sisters pulled on my heartstrings and will of any woman who understands the complication of sisterhood and the competition, but also support, it brings.

Lucy is described as a powerful and strong woman, but my enjoyment of her character lessened with every chapter. To me, she did not embody a strong woman, but instead made me question her morals and what truly defines strength in womanhood. When conflict arises she flees to Africa to be with a man who is not her husband. This brought mixed emotions upon me. I respected her want to make herself happy, but I resented her for abandoning her family. This delicate line that Coles walks along throughout the story makes the plot interesting and the entire book a page turner. I found myself asking, ‘Where is the line of right and wrong? What is truly the best thing to do when life brings turmoil?’ Coles brings these questions up but we are the only ones who can uniquely answer them for ourselves.

Lucy’s relationship with her husband and the nature of their marriage is interesting to delve into. Not yet being married myself, I speculate that a married person would be able to analyze this dynamic far better than I. However, that was one of the aspects I liked best about this story. The plot and characters are so different from the life I live, yet Coles managed to bring me into their world and truly feel like I was experiencing their trials and tribulations with them.

I thoroughly enjoyed the dynamic characters and the unpredictable plot this story brings. I believe that anyone in the legal or medical field would truly enjoy Coles’ work. I also would recommend it to those with sisters or mothers as the story revolves around the sisters’ complicated relationship and a mother of daughters would have an interesting perspective while reading.

I found little errors and believe the story to be well edited. Due to the characters and their development, the plot, and the authors writing style I give The Spirit of Want, by William H. Coles 4 out of 4 stars and would recommend to readers everywhere.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like cgehan's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”